Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2019, 05:47 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Not just longevity, but also vitality.
Vitality or not the checks keep coming as long as you are breathing.. for those concerned about the balance for a spouse vitality is irrelevant if delaying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 06:03 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
I'm taking at 62. What I do should have no standing on what others decide to do for whatever reason. I believe I will be able to enjoy the money more at the younger age than getting more when I am older. I did the calculations and I believe I would be 79 or something like that before it equals out and I start getting less.

I'm OK with that because even if I make it that long, I won't be as active. I may not need the money at 62. That's OK, it will be invested for later then.

I'm 57 and I plan to be out of the job I have now within a year. I do not enjoy it and see no reason to still doing something I do not enjoy now that I do not absolutely have to. I will likely still work. It will be something I like doing. I sold cars many years ago. I enjoyed it. It was stressful working on commission and having kids and bills which is why I got out of it for something more steady but I could do that again and have no stress.

One person I worked with is a GM at a local dealer now and he's been bugging me to come there. Another dealer still has the same owner that tried to get me to work for him back in the day. I could easily slide in there. We just have to work out this Saturday thing. I don't want to work weekends any longer.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:05 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,097,526 times
Exactly the comparison should be

#1 Retire at 62 and take early SS
Or
#2 Retire at 62 and don’t take SS and use other assets instead

#3 If you are choosing to continue working and thus not use neither SS nor other assets that’s a different comparison.

I will retire at 62 so my choices are 1 or 2, I have decided that for physical and mental health #3 would not be a good option for me long term.

Whatever you choose enjoy it retirement and good health won’t last forever and you can’t take your money with you

Old 06-10-2019, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm taking at 62. What I do should have no standing on what others decide to do for whatever reason. I believe I will be able to enjoy the money more at the younger age than getting more when I am older. I did the calculations and I believe I would be 79 or something like that before it equals out and I start getting less.

I'm OK with that because even if I make it that long, I won't be as active. I may not need the money at 62. That's OK, it will be invested for later then.

I'm 57 and I plan to be out of the job I have now within a year. I do not enjoy it and see no reason to still doing something I do not enjoy now that I do not absolutely have to. I will likely still work. It will be something I like doing. I sold cars many years ago. I enjoyed it. It was stressful working on commission and having kids and bills which is why I got out of it for something more steady but I could do that again and have no stress.

One person I worked with is a GM at a local dealer now and he's been bugging me to come there. Another dealer still has the same owner that tried to get me to work for him back in the day. I could easily slide in there. We just have to work out this Saturday thing. I don't want to work weekends any longer.
No one should have to adjust their income upward if the delay ss if they can really afford to delay .. I have said this over and over .. if your plan is to first increase your draw 8 years later and not just lay out the the difference up front then in my opinion that is not a good plan ...

A good plan makes no difference in your income whether you delay or not ..only the make up of that income shifts from all your money to a combo of more ss and your money

Old 06-10-2019, 06:26 AM

Default vec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
Exactly the comparison should be

#1 Retire at 62 and take early SS
Or
#2 Retire at 62 and don’t take SS and use other assets instead

#3 If you are choosing to continue working and thus not use neither SS nor other assets that’s a different comparison.

I will retire at 62 so my choices are 1 or 2, I have decided that for physical and mental health #3 would not be a good option for me long term.

Whatever you choose enjoy it retirement and good health won’t last forever and you can’t take your money with you
If you have a spouse then worrying about taking your money with you should not be an issue .... 80% of married men die married ..80% of married women die single. So doing what is best for your wife is the best path

Old 06-10-2019, 06:30 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,097,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
If you have a spouse then worrying about taking your money with you should not be an issue .... 80% of married men die married ..80% of married women die single. So doing what is best for your wife is the best path
If you are married doing what is best for both of you should be the plan.That should be a private decision arrived by the couple and is not only one correct answer.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:35 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Vitality or not the checks keep coming as long as you are breathing.. for those concerned about the balance for a spouse vitality is irrelevant if delaying
Dementia sucks for everyone.

Having gone through that with my father-in-law, I already know my wife would rather enjoy more free time with me now than have a few bucks more after I'm no longer company.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:39 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
No one should have to adjust their income upward if the delay ss if they can really afford to delay .. I have said this over and over .. if your plan is to first increase your draw 8 years later and not just lay out the the difference up front then in my opinion that is not a good plan ...

A good plan makes no difference in your income whether you delay or not ..only the make up of that income shifts from all your money to a combo of more ss and your money
I'm not 100% sure of your argument but I'm also not too worried about a "good plan". I'm going to do what I want to do. I'll be OK either way.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm not 100% sure of your argument but I'm also not too worried about a "good plan". I'm going to do what I want to do. I'll be OK either way.
My argument is it makes no sense when people say if they delay they don’t get to enjoy their ss money early on in retirement...that is a poor plan because anyone who has the choice to delay should not have to wait until ss kicks in to enjoy a bigger budget ..

In my opinion if you can’t take your full income day one by just laying out the ss difference up front day one then that is a poor plan and delaying really is not a good option.

A good plan keeps spending dollars constant regardless of how the composition of the income changes when ss kicks in

Old 06-10-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Dementia sucks for everyone.

Having gone through that with my father-in-law, I already know my wife would rather enjoy more free time with me now than have a few bucks more after I'm no longer company.
The bigger income and balance for a spouse may or may not be if you delay ... more often not delaying and not spending down invested assets leaves a better deal for a spouse.

Statistically taking ss early and depending a bit more on markets and rates and less on longevity have produced higher income and balance for a spouse more often than not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement