Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 05:14 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,006,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Pets are absolutely a hindrance to those who want to have the freedom to go anywhere without a lot of preparation. You absolutely have to make preparations for your pets. You have to rely on others that might or might not be available, you have to rely on boarders, that may or may not have spots. And of course you have to arrange for drop off and pick up, and all are issues I do not want to deal with. It would severely inhibit my ability to pick up and go. For those of us that do not want these ties, and want to be “untethered” to travel, pets are not for us.
If we wanted to leave town tomorrow, we could do so by making arrangement for our pets with a simple phone call. If you believe that this is a "severe hinderance" to being able to "pick up and go", then that's fine. Something tells me though that that isn't the only reason that you don't have pets, and that's fine as well. But just because you consider pets to be an inconvenience, that doesn't mean that you should be telling others that they need to get rid of their pets if they want to have the freedom to travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Good grief. Find a home for your pets and travel!!! Life is too short!

This is exactly why I don't want any pets - I want to be able to take off any time and hit the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 06:03 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,115,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I've been retired for almost 15 years. Not yet 60. Retired military. Didn't need to work afterwards.

The other day my oldest niece asked me how i was enjoying retirement and i said "It's Ok".

I surprised myself. Am i supposed to be jumping with joy about it?

I do enjoy waking up when i want to get up.

I can go places if i want, but kind of hindered due to my pet responsibilites

People - make sure you are not encumbered and can take off at a moments notice!!

It just made me realize that i need to start appreciating what i have.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.
I think there's no greater luxury than being able to live contentedly without needing to work.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:35 AM

515 posts, read 359,822 times
Default This is so true

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
I think there's no greater luxury than being able to live contentedly without needing to work.

I am so looking forward to removing myself from the working world. I have a guy across the street, he is about my age, and he has not worked since I moved here 5 years ago. Maybe before that. I guess he is retired and has some kind of income. He walks his dogs, he mows an elderly man's grass next door, plays with grand kids that visit. He does not look like he misses working one bit. I know people that got corporate buy outs and never worked again. It seems once you make the leap, you don't want to go back to the work a day world. I know I won't. My fear is running out of money, so I am tracking every dime and watching my pension like a hawk. I read the annual report (Pension is 113% funded) and participate in other savings programs. When I qualify for social security at 62 I will take it soon after. The threads about not taking it early are endless, but for me it will mean no more working. Having each day to do as I please is the most valuable thing I can think of.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:47 AM

37,589 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
If we wanted to leave town tomorrow, we could do so by making arrangement for our pets with a simple phone call. If you believe that this is a "severe hinderance" to being able to "pick up and go", then that's fine. Something tells me though that that isn't the only reason that you don't have pets, and that's fine as well. But just because you consider pets to be an inconvenience, that doesn't mean that you should be telling others that they need to get rid of their pets if they want to have the freedom to travel.
That is great that you have such a system in place. Most people do not, and many actually refuse to board their dogs at all. I am speaking about folks in my own family. There are many reasons I don't have pets anymore. But being "tied down" is absolutely the main one. I am on the go a LOT. It would be absurd and curtail many of my activities.

I offered advice. As have others. Have a good day.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:09 AM

23,206 posts, read 29,018,601 times
I'm still trying to decide what kind of volunteer work I wish to do, but no plans to join the workforce again. In my 55+ senior mobile home co-op, I volunteered to paint all the pylons in the community, some 100 of them, scrape, wire brush them, then paint, 2 coats of acrylic. Not even looking for a thank-you for it. I just finished, took me 2 months to do them all. I bought my own paint and I didn't want any renumeration for it.

I put something in the community news letter: If you want your mailbox post painted grey or white, call me and I'll do it. All free of charge!

We have our own Helping Hands here, to volunteer to help seniors in the community, take some for Dr. visits, but, having worked with seniors in a LTC/Rehab facility for 17 years, I'm going to pass on that one.

What I'm more interested in is working as a Volunteer at the Benedictine Monastery, where asylum seekers arrive from Mexico. There's over 50 volunteers working there and, being bi-lingual, I'd fit in quite well there.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:10 AM

20,094 posts, read 8,995,406 times
before you acquire a pet you should have a plan in place to care for your pet when you cannot. Not the other way around.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:28 AM

4,242 posts, read 946,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
We are pretty fortunate, just got to remind ourselves. Health care taken care of, pension, free time....really not much more you can ask for. The rest is up to you.
This.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:45 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,261,276 times
ok - the dog situation

I must admit that i do have a "live-in" dog sitter. He tells me to go and not to worry about them. But i do, so it is just me making a big deal about it. He won't spoil them like i do.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:47 AM

4,242 posts, read 946,547 times
I am retiring in about three months. People are finding out and asking me "what are you going to do next?"

I often feel kind of sheepish about my response, which tends to be "Nothing, nothing, and nothing" because I get the feeling that many people think that retirement means being as productive as our work environments expect us to be.

I'm tired of being productive! I want to be a sloth, at least for a while. And when the spirit moves me, I'll look into taking a guitar class, volunteering at the animal shelter, and taking some day trips. But until then: "nothing, nothing, and nothing."

The freedom to do whatever I feel like (within my limited financial means) goes way beyond "just ok" to me.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:47 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,261,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
True

I did tell my breakfast group the other day, that there is no need to put on regular clothes on before 10am!

One lady that goes on and on about how busy and tired she is, looked at me like i was crazy.

So i do have it good. Just have to remind myself from time to time.

And y'all have helped.

I'm still in my pjs, second cup of coffee, enjoying this beautiful weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement