Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 08:20 AM

50,781 posts, read 36,474,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Oh don't worry, it can be a young person's thing too. I envy those who only started having foot problems with age...I've been in some sort of corrective/protective footwear since my teens. PT or surgery that fixed one problem only to have another one waiting in the wings take it's place. 20+ years of outdoor work in the wild didn't help. Still, if I'd bypassed those experiences just to spare cranky feet there wouldn't be any good memories now.

Yes, my niece started having foot problems in her late 20's. She is overweight and in the summer lived in flip-flops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 01:00 PM

577 posts, read 494,246 times
[quote=matisse12;55418912]There are lots of foot problems of older people besides Plantar fasciitis.

I have flat feet, a big jutting out bone spur or bone malformation on bottom of one foot, arthritis in my feet, and now lately poor circulation in the feet and toes which causes a variety of problems and also non-diabetic neuropathy (tingling, numbness) in the feet connected with not the best circulation in feet.[/QU

True, but not near as much fun for some of us oldies....

One day I had a 20 year old young fellow working with me. I let out a moan just as I set one foot down on the concrete floor, while climbing down from a step ladder.

He asked me, " Are you O.K. dude ? "

I said, "Yeah, am alright. Its just my plantar fasciitis acting up on me today "

The guy took a quick step back away from me and said, "Whoa Dude, is that stuff like ...contagious ?? "

Old 06-14-2019, 01:06 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times
I'm a bit concerned about the red and purple toes which started a few months ago in winter and still remain! I researched it on the internet as I do everything in the world....... won't elaborate now..... (no need to tell me to seek physician, lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greglovesoldtrucks View Post

I let out a moan just as I set one foot down on the concrete floor, while climbing down from a step ladder.
Any groans for me come due to the knee and other severe arthritis, but the feet do hurt too. I'm with you. I understand what you're saying about your foot though :^). I LOVE retirement, though, and I don't let it deter or affect my happiness.

Last edited by matisse12; 06-14-2019 at 01:17 PM..

Old 06-14-2019, 01:18 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I had PF for several years. It felt like walking on broken glass as soon as I stood up, then it would fade as I walked for a bit. After steroid shots, and fancy insoles, and just suffering with it, I finally read about someone who healed theirs by wearing Birkenstocks. You have to wear them every minute you are on your feet, even if it's just to the bathroom in the middle of the night, keep a pair next to the bed. I did it, and it took a couple months, but I've been free of PF for over 10 years now. I wear my Birks occasionally now, but I go barefoot a lot and it's never come back. Everybody's different, but those funky Birks cured my problem once and for all.
I’ve posted previously about curing my PF by wearing Birkenstock arch supports in my athletic shoes when I walked treadmill a couple of times a week. It took awhile, but I noticed that my pain lessened greatly when I adhered to a schedule of walking, and came back if I stopped. I also wore those supports in casual shes whenever I could.

I had PF for years. I wore a custom built orthotic completely flat. I took a steroid shot that killed the pain for 1 day. But it was wearing those arch supports that cured me.

Unfortunately, I cannot wear regular Birkenstock sandals.

Old 06-14-2019, 01:23 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times
Thanks for all the tips everyone! Keep them coming, if you have more.

Here are a couple of recent threads on feet in the Retirement forum:

//www.city-data.com/forum/retir...y-de-feet.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/retir...ired-feet.html

Old 06-14-2019, 06:40 PM

7,184 posts, read 9,317,614 times
I suffer from chronic foot pain.

So far, getting a custom orthotic set of inserts helps a lot.

Also, I wear Hoka One shoes for maximum cushioning.

https://www.zappos.com/p/hoka-one-on..._placement=1o3

I also have had luck with Birkenstock sandals

https://www.zappos.com/birkenstock-s..._placement=1t2

Both the original leather soles and the new plastic sole beds feel very good to me.

Try it.

Old 06-14-2019, 11:13 PM

10,894 posts, read 7,386,537 times
My podiatrist said I have arthritis, tendinitis, plantar facitis, and something that doesn't end in -itis. He recommended rubber clogs with arch supports. Works like a charm.

Old 06-15-2019, 12:57 AM

16,081 posts, read 10,744,030 times
I have occasional P/F but learned daily some stretches that essentially take care of it when it flares up. If I could lose 35 pounds I'd have less pain in my feet and ankles. I have some other foot issues like heel spurs probably aggravated by moving to a house on a slab instead of wood floors. I'm better off wearing shoes than going barefoot. I am not light on my feet and seem like I have a heavy, almost stomping, gait. I have about six sets of insoles that I switch around in my shoes.

Old 06-15-2019, 02:58 AM

4,861 posts, read 2,672,101 times
let's see.. I've got neuropathy from Guillian's Barre syndrome..flat feet, hammer toes, gout, weak ankles and a big ol bunion..other than that, I'm good..

Old 06-15-2019, 07:05 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
I have been dealing with posterior tibial tendonitis for the last 6 months. The first flare up was 10 years ago (I was 45). I got it under control wearing a CAM boot and never wearing a flat shoe, plus orthotics, and PT. But it never really gets fixed. It is a mechanical problem due to flat feet. Pain is either in the arch (what I had ten years ago) or on the inside of the ankle (what I have now).

It flared up again last fall from wearing what I thought were comfy flat shoes. But they had no arch support. It is now June and I cannot get it under control. I had an MRI which showed all the inflammation and swelling (no tear thankfully) but also showed I had plantar fasciitis (I can't really tell), swelling of the heel fat pad, and a heel spur. It is medically reckless to do steroid injections into that particular tendon.

Not sure what I will do. While the condition is caused by how my foot is built, it is certainly exacerbated by aging. I have progressed to a true flat-foot deformity in my left foot and it is depressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement