Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 10:13 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i am just the opposite , i wouldn't have any interest here if it was to discuss cats , kids and peeing at night .

these things are of no interest to me at all .. i like learning and improving myself .. so i stick to what interests me and forget the rest. but i find that there are those with no interest in anything financial that ruin some of the potentially good conversations by attacking posters who talk numbers . if they have no interest i can't understand why they would even bother with those threads , just to lash out at someone..
There's room for both. The financial topics are often over my empty head, so I just skip 'em. I would never think of bashing them! I'm envious of those who are good with numbers.

We can have a nice middle ground between cats/ peeing at night and complicated mathematical discussions. Plus have the latter, for those that can engage with that.

I've learned a lot on here too, and think the forum is alive and well. Nothing stays the same, after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 10:38 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,604,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Well-put! I totally agree. Some of us are just not "numbers people" (I wish I was, though!)

There is so much more to Retirement than just the numbers. I really enjoy the vast differences in how we all experience our own unique retirement, and how we deal with the issues it brings.

I don't care how repetitive it gets. As someone else said, each post brings something new to the topic. If I'm bored, I just skip it. As for bickering, that's just more entertainment!
.... And I couldn't agree less with the "numbers" thing! I retired suddenly a couple of years earlier than expected & had a total of 2 weeks from being fully immersed in a busy, long day at work as usual for the previous 30 years, to suddenly being DONE. (I had a couple of weeks vacation previously planned around the start of the package I accepted at the last minute.)

CDF, specifically the Retirement Forum, helped me to get a crash intro course in finances & the basics when one is suddenly drawing from one's portfolio rather than contributing funds. The understanding of how to blend my investments with Social Security income, & the point of delaying SS & how to balance that with a "proper" withdrawal of assets in the meantime was largely learned here & I have to thank mathjak & many others for their knowledge & supplying sources to reference rather than just opinions & feelings... unbelievably valuable to me in the past few years. It led me to other places with more technical analysis but here was a great start.

I do agree that there is more here than just numbers & finding a purpose after working nonstop for decades & being focused on that is a larger issue than I realized. I also agree that we can skip those threads that are not pertinent to our interests, rather than posting that folks are "bragging" because they are trying to figure something out with their finances so that others can learn from them.

If it was only about our favorite tunes from the 1970s or complaints about "these kids today" it wouldn't have much allure for me.

(ETA: Just now saw mathjak's quote posted a few minutes before, above, when I posted this, sorry... didn't want to be repetitive.)

Old 07-09-2019, 11:08 AM

2,634 posts, read 3,691,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
As for bickering, that's just more entertainment!
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLL Yeah, but I can also remember when the bickering was not entertaining -- only mean, unkind.

Old 07-09-2019, 12:24 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,209 times
Thanks, Fran. I had no idea it would be so popular. It was very helpful.

NewEnglandGirl died quite awhile ago. It was very sad. She changed her name one or two times, too. I think it was her husband who told us.

It was a fun thread and I learned a lot!

Old 07-09-2019, 01:49 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
In hindsight looking back on the forum for awhile, I am not so sure it has changed. Perhaps for those like me who first saw it as a retirement planning forum and then a life in retirement forum are personally with age and time moving on. In my early 70’s now and I am not sure there was ever a bunch of folks in their 70’s and 80’s here. Those that are probably have different thread interests than those in their 50’s and early 60’s. I always wondered why some regular posters with age cut down on their postings and now I see why!
Many older posters I suspect see much of this to be more social informational.

Old 07-09-2019, 02:27 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,628 times
I would guess that as a part of C-D this forum was originally about moving to new locations in retirement. Now it covers a lot of issues of interest to retirees including health, financial, lifestyle, and end of life planning. As such I think it serves a very useful purpose. I know I have learned a lot.

There also seem to be a large number of members who belong to the lonely hearts club. They are not here to learn or to help others. They just come here to vent, look for sympathy, compensate for boring lives, and even gossip.

Old 07-09-2019, 03:44 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I would guess that as a part of C-D this forum was originally about moving to new locations in retirement. Now it covers a lot of issues of interest to retirees including health, financial, lifestyle, and end of life planning. As such I think it serves a very useful purpose. I know I have learned a lot.

There also seem to be a large number of members who belong to the lonely hearts club. They are not here to learn or to help others. They just come here to vent, look for sympathy, compensate for boring lives, and even gossip.
I'll agree with this. At some point some people began posting anything and everything that popped into their minds. Things that have absolutely nothing to do with retirement. Threads asking silly personal questions like how many times a week do you bathe which caused some people to lose interest. I think (maybe hopeful thinking) moderators are beginning to be a little more involved in trying to keep things on the retirement topic instead of catering to people with nothing else to do but come on here and just chat about anything and everything that they can think of in their lives. That isn't tolerated in any other forum but this one.
It's obvious certain people really do need to find a hobby.

Old 07-09-2019, 03:46 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,691,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post

Wow, you're a real sweetie.

So why are you on C-D 24/7?

Never mind. I'm going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement