Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 09:52 AM

30,501 posts, read 16,206,257 times

Advertisements

I had a single wide with a pond, greenhouse, pole barn. 10+ acres

The green house is full of garbage. The pole barn is full of garbage. There's junk cars and a boat sitting out in the field. Lawn hasn't been mowed in forever.

I loved that place. Only sold it because I moved and couldn't afford 2 mortgages. If I'd known then what I know now......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 10:31 AM

245 posts, read 304,009 times
We had a small yard in front of our city townhouse. Our elderly, dear Lhasa Apso died after we moved in there and we planted a resurrection lily in the corner of the garden in his memory.

For some weird reason the new people ripped it out. Don't like one beautiful flower?
My brother and his wife sold their very really nice lake house with a big garden in front that was my SIL's pride and joy. The new owner ripped it out and put in an asphalt circle driveway.
Both are sad incidents but what can you do?

Old 06-16-2019, 10:49 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,634,517 times
I feel sorry for my former neighbors. A traditional green lawn was replaced with gravel, a huge chain-link fence now surrounds the entire corner lot, and a humongous 5th Wheel RV is parked diagonally across the front yard. Classy.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:51 AM

16,070 posts, read 10,732,474 times
I'm the fourth owner of my current house and had a surprise visit by the original owners and their kids who built my house almost twenty years ago. They ran all over the place, inside and out, pointing out all the changes and things they had or hadn't done (dubious improvements?). I, of course, hadn't cleaned or straightened the house. They showed off where they scratched their initials in the cement here and there and how they installed the (non-working) irrigation system and the (working) goldfish pond. Their old dog house is still here but no dog has ever consented to live in it (rabbits do, now). It was an interesting visit and now I have faces to connect to the mail I still get and toss in the trash.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:07 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,952,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
I feel sorry for my former neighbors. A traditional green lawn was replaced with gravel, a huge chain-link fence now surrounds the entire corner lot, and a humongous 5th Wheel RV is parked diagonally across the front yard. Classy.

Is that even legal in that area? Not to mention an HOA wouldn't allow it.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:11 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,952,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianstad View Post
The new owner ripped it out and put in an asphalt circle driveway.
Across the street from my MIL's old house, new owners decided they wanted a circle driveway. So they put one in themselves. Result: It was too narrow and too sharply curved for a passenger car to drive all the way around it.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:28 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,113,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianstad View Post
We had a small yard in front of our city townhouse. Our elderly, dear Lhasa Apso died after we moved in there and we planted a resurrection lily in the corner of the garden in his memory.

For some weird reason the new people ripped it out. Don't like one beautiful flower?

It's very possible they liked the plant, but it died.

One of the things we liked most about our house, when we bought it, was a spectacular flaming red crepe myrtle in the front yard. If the previous owner came by, I'm sure he would be saddened to see it was taken out. What he wouldn't know is we were saddened by that, too. In fact, it broke out hearts when it was damaged in a storm and the arborist said it had to be taken down. Things happen.

I've owned a few houses, so I guess it's easier for me to shrug it off when a new owner changes things. But, I can understand that moment of sadness, and wondering why they didn't like the same things you did. After a moment or two (or maybe ten, LOL), it's good to let it go and turn your thoughts back to your new house.

Last edited by Piney Creek; 06-16-2019 at 11:49 AM..

Old 06-16-2019, 11:36 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
The previous owners are dead, but I bet they'd freak out considering that we completely remodeled the interior.

We replaced every door except the front door and added two.

Replaced all the trim.

Removed a huge room hogging pony wall.

Closed off a door to the kitchen and inserted shelves for cookbooks.

Removed the kitchen counter and changed the shape.

Removed a sliding glass door and replaced it with a window, then added a walk out door next to it.

Gutted both bathrooms.

Tore out all the tile floors and replaced them with wood/tile.

Re-coated the patio floor.

Epoxied the garage floor.

I'm probably missing a few things.

The first link is the second go round. The first was the doors, floors, walls, trim, etc.

//www.city-data.com/blogs/blog3...mmer-2015.html

//www.city-data.com/blogs/blog4...arch-2016.html

Old 06-16-2019, 12:21 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,634,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Is that even legal in that area? Not to mention an HOA wouldn't allow it.
There's no HOA, but it isn't legal to park a vehicle on your front yard, whether grass or gravel. However it's been sitting there for months. Maybe nobody has complained to Code Enforcement.

Old 06-16-2019, 12:25 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
I did see some pics of a reno the new owner did of my old, beat up house, and I really liked it. But by the time I sold, I hated that house.

I do not get emotionally attached to things like that. I cry at commercials... so it is good I have a limit.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement