Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 02:35 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,115,713 times

Advertisements

Am I afraid of dying? Not really, maybe a little apprehension at about the same level I had about retirement. It's an unknown, but since it's inevitable, why waste time being afraid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 02:47 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,693,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Not afraid of death in the least, but I sure hope I don't die anytime soon. Too much life yet to live. And, no, I don't believe in suicide, assisted or otherwise. Everyone has worth, no matter what their current physical state. Suicide is not unknown to me. My sister ended her own life and my aunt flubbed an attempt.
Everyone does have worth -- I understand what you are saying, and I certainly agree with you totally. But I'm a former Hospice volunteer -- and I saw A LOT unnecessary suffering.

I'm not ready to die any time soon -- I'm very much enjoying my life. But when I'm in more pain that I want to handle, I want to be able to get out as peacefully and painlessly as possible.

Interestingly enough -- Oregon was the first state to legalize MAID. Lots of people (in Oregon and throughout The US) were up in arms -- they predicted that everyone would be using MAID. They also sternly warned that old people would somehow be forced to use MAID. None of that has happened. In all the years that Oregon has had MAID, relatively few have used it.

What I also know for a fact: a big Catholic hospital in CA conducted an anonymous survey of doctors re mercy killing. 40% of the MDs admitted to committing at least one mercy killing in their career. That's a high percentage even for a non-religious hospital. And my friend (she headed up and conducted the whole thing) said: "And the percentage is probably higher because I bet some doctors were very worried that they anonymous survey wasn't really anonymous." So -- at a Catholic hospital -- almost 40 years ago -- 40% of doctors (who had hospital privileges at that hospital) actually admitted to at least one mercy killing.

I'd much rather have MAID that has doctors going around committing mercy killings.

Old 06-16-2019, 04:16 PM

1,155 posts, read 962,733 times
No reason for fear death, IMO. Consciousness just blinks out, and that's it. Nothingness.

If I had to face a lot of painful medical procedures and suffering, I would certainly take a serious look at ending my life on my own terms.

Old 06-16-2019, 04:19 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,308,178 times
I am afraid of the process of dying. In the past year both our mothers have died, both over ninety. I am afraid of getting dementia as both my parents had it. Having had to watch both our mothers decline and in my mother's case, suffer, I am afraid of what is ahead.

I believe in euthanasia but my husband is on the fence. Which complicates things. In any case, it will not happen here any time soon as far as dementia goes. A couple of states are about to introduce it for people with a terminal illness and less than six months life expectancy. We have probably the most religious Prime Minister we have had for a long time albeit in a very secular country. All the Medical Associations are opposed. It is very difficult to get to Switzerland, where I believe it is possible, if you are ninety and have dementia.

Old 06-16-2019, 04:25 PM

695 posts, read 998,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
If you are afraid, why are you? If you aren't, why aren't you? And (just an example): if tomorrow you were diagnosed with, say, Stage 4 lung cancer, to what lengths would you go to stay alive?

Lastly, do you believe in Physician-Assisted Suicide?
If I was diagnosed with a terminal disease and given a month to live, I'd say, "Well, my number came up, and I've lived a good life. Make me comfortable for the last few weeks and no heroics."

As far as PA suicide, yes, I'm in favor of personal choices for ending one's life. It should be up to the individual, their family and the physician, in my view.

I have a friend who has 3 sibs who had a mom who was seriously ill for the last several years of her life, in a nursing home, didn't recognize any of her adult children, and was basically a vegetable on life support. My friend advocated for "pulling the plug." The sibs wanted everything possible done to keep her alive. I don't agree with that approach, personally. All that does is enrich the nursing home for several years without any hope of improvement for the individual. But, everyone has to make their own decisions, and hopefully have a living will that clearly expresses one's wishes at the end.

Old 06-16-2019, 05:08 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
I’m 57. I’ve been fortunate to have done most everything I’ve wanted to do. Other than owning the Red Sox, there’s nothing on my bucket list. When my dogs are gone, I’ll have no responsibilities. I’ll have fulfilled my obligations. I have no desire to live a single day depending on anyone. Haven’t since 18, why start now? I figure if I get to 75 and independent, I’ll be lucky. If not, give me the option of ending it when I choose.
I hope your dogs live long and healthy lives.

Old 06-16-2019, 05:12 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times
The Grim Reaper will get us all sooner or later.

The bigger question is not when, but how? My father died from painful cancer at 65. My mother went to bed and didn't wake up at age 91. Hers was the better way.

Old 06-16-2019, 05:20 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,420,150 times
I’m not afraid of dying but I dread a slow death. Not because of the physical pain, but because it would just be awful knowing all of the things I’ll never see, or see again.

Old 06-16-2019, 05:20 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,693,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
I’m 57. I’ve been fortunate to have done most everything I’ve wanted to do. Other than owning the Red Sox, there’s nothing on my bucket list. When my dogs are gone, I’ll have no responsibilities. I’ll have fulfilled my obligations. I have no desire to live a single day depending on anyone. Haven’t since 18, why start now? I figure if I get to 75 and independent, I’ll be lucky. If not, give me the option of ending it when I choose.
Well, unless you live in a log cabin that you built by yourself from the trees you cut down by yourself; and if you don't use any utilities like water, electricity and gas; and if you don't drive a car or ride a bike; and if you grow all your own food (of course, you'd have to get the seeds from somewhere); and if you've never had any medical care; and if you've never had a job; and if you don't wear any clothes or shoes; oh -- and if you die out in the woods and simply fall into the grave you've dug yourself -- then you have lived every single day without depending on someone else.

Old 06-16-2019, 05:39 PM

60 posts, read 41,735 times
I want to go to Heaven but, I don't want to go today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement