Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 07:46 AM

1 posts, read 625 times

Advertisements

In Aarp mag Quinn says when husband takes full ss wife can’t switch to spousal benefit on his account.
Far as I know that’s incorrect as that’s exactly what I did with my wife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 09:08 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howardgo1 View Post
In Aarp mag Quinn says when husband takes full ss wife can’t switch to spousal benefit on his account.
Don't believe ANYTHING AARP tells you.

Go to the Social Security site YOURSELF and find out!

Old 06-16-2019, 09:10 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:

Some SS rules recently changed.

Old 06-16-2019, 09:16 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Go ask Social Security. There was a thread on here a few days ago about social security and boomers that was full of misinformation. I tried to correct it but doubt that anyone paid attention.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:06 AM

106,571 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
this is likely true ...if you were not at least 62 in 2015 then there is no more switching ....you only get your own forever ...if there is a difference in spousal any difference gets added to your own benefit never exceeding 1/2 the fra of that higher record .

i just explained this very thing in another thread yesterday .

i posted this :

Just to clear this up here is the scoop on spousal . I say husband and wife but the roles can be revered in some cases .

File and suspend is gone .. the husband would file for ss , once he filed the wife could get up to 1/2 as spousal if 1/2 his was higher ... the husband suspends his right after ,leaves it to grow and the wife keeps the spousal..

Restricted application is where the husband at fra files for half his wife’s benefit and leaves his to grow .....there is no suspension of anyone’s benefit ... in order to keep the spousal going the wife must keep collecting..this is the opposite of what file and suspend was .

Both are out unless you were at least 62 in 2015 . while file and suspend is gone if you were at least 62 in 2015 restricted application is still an option .

So what is left is regular spousal and now what is called deeming .... no matter what age you are , if you have a work record you get your benefit ,period .....when you file you are deemed to file for your own benefit and any spousal at the same time . The spousal is calculated by taking half the husbands fra amount , regardless of when he filed and subtract your fra amount regardless of when you filed ....any difference gets added to your own benefit.....if you filed early then it gets added to your fra amount ...

The only thing is ,while you are deemed having filed for spousal when you took yours ,you can’t actually get that adder until the husband files for his ..

So you see why I keep correcting people when they say they are switching to spousal ... there is no such thing anymore ...your own benefit follows you for life ....

This is for social security retirement ...survivor benefits have their own set of rules

Old 06-16-2019, 10:08 AM

721 posts, read 597,690 times
Quote:
The rules have changed for people born after Jan. 1954 to remove a "double dipping" loophole. But the specific confusion here is more a matter of language than anything else. The catch is in how you define "switch to spousal benefit". In some ways it's a distinction without a difference.

Old scenario:
Wife gets her own benefit of $500.
Wife later "switches" to spousal benefit of $700 (one-half of husband's benefit).

New scenario:
Wife gets an extra $200 added to hers based on husband's record bringing her to $700 (one-half of his).

So, you see she's not "switching" to anything. She's getting an amount added as a spousal benefit that brings her up to half of her husband's amount.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:10 AM

here is a summary of the changes

Old 06-16-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Don't believe ANYTHING AARP tells you.

Go to the Social Security site YOURSELF and find out!
they are correct for the most part . a birthday of jan 2 1954 is the cut off for being grand fathered in for restricted application . after that you keep your own regardless if you get a spousal adder or not .

Old 06-16-2019, 10:20 AM

43,054 posts, read 18,223,725 times
I'm lucky..born after 1954 so there's no confusion with me. It's all "not eligilble, not eligible, not applicable, not eligible, etc. "

Old 06-16-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
The rules have changed for people born after Jan. 1954 to remove a "double dipping" loophole. But the specific confusion here is more a matter of language than anything else. The catch is in how you define "switch to spousal benefit". In some ways it's a distinction without a difference.

Old scenario:
Wife later "switches" to spousal benefit of $700 (one-half of husband's benefit).

New scenario:
Wife gets an extra $200 added to hers based on husband's record bringing her to $700 (one-half of his).

So, you see she's not "switching" to anything. She's getting an amount added as a spousal benefit that brings her up to half of her husband's amount.
well the new rules are different , because restricted application is gone for many so it is not just semantics . restricted application was very different than just spousal

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-16-2019 at 10:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement