Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 07:27 AM

385 posts, read 324,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
But you meet the nicest people wintering under bridges in the USA. Trolls, vagrants, poets, philosophers. Hmmm
And posters on city-data.com?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 07:41 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
It is not cheap to live in an RV - that's a myth. Things break easily and constant repairs are normal.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:42 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
We used to rent a 2 BR condo for 4.5 months, for $2500 (total), very close to the beach in Alabama. You have to do some looking and negotiating. Alabama's high season is summer, not winter.
We've met couples who rent places in Carolina beach communities during the winter off season.

During the summer they rent apartments at UMD in Duluth.

Summer Senior Rental Program | UMD

They spend the other 5 or 6 months traveling, visiting friends and relatives, or at their homes with the less than ideal weather.

Friends from Minnesota and Alaska own mobile homes in Yuma, AZ. It's affordable and they enjoy pot luck dinners and socializing over the winter while everyone is shoveling snow back home.

This place sold for $17K last year.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-96176?view=qv

Old 06-19-2019, 09:05 AM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times
There's also ltva - long term visiting area by/in Quartsize, Arizona for rv living. $180 for 7 months, September to May.

Old 06-19-2019, 09:13 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,937,011 times
My B-I-L has an Aunt and Uncle from Pennsylvania who are Snowbirds to Florida each Winter. They drive their RV to Orlando, stay in an RV Park for the Winter, and both work part-time at Disney World. During the Summer months they head back to PA and manage a Camp Ground.

They have to carefully monitor the days they spend in each State. I don't know if they use Florida as their permanent address and must spend a minimum of 6-months there to maintain FL residency for beneficial income taxes, or if they continue to use PA as their permanent address.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:20 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
If you really want cheap, why not sponge off a relative or two that live in a warmer part of town?

Old 06-19-2019, 11:10 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
Why be cheap?

Old 06-19-2019, 11:27 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
I never wanted to be a snowbird. Yeah, I'm one of those strange individuals who actually like winter. My husband, on the hand hates it. So, he takes me kicking and screaming every winter to Puerto Rico where we stay with his sister. People have told me that I should have my head examined because I would rather spend winter in New England than in the tropics.

BTW, you could buy a cheap place in Puerto Rico that you can stay for the winter. We used to have a place down there that we bought REAL cheap. We just sold it this past March.

Cat

Old 06-19-2019, 11:40 AM

599 posts, read 498,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
It is not cheap to live in an RV - that's a myth. Things break easily and constant repairs are normal.
Nothing is absolute. I know folks that live a stunningly miserly existence in their RVs, and do it extraordinarily cheaply. I have met people that blow through well over a 100K a year on their fancy motorcoach and related costs, and only use the thing a few times.

I have had RVs for two decades and traveled well over 200K miles in them. There are ways to do it smart, and ways to ruin yourself financially. I do 90% of all maintenance and repairs myself, spending a tiny fraction of what it would cost to have things done "professionally". The other issue is depreciation. RVs are about the stupidest thing you could possibly buy, and new ones are the worst. Unless you are happy with a real rolling wreck for a few grand, the best deal is understanding the sweet spot of a particular RV type, as in when it is still in good to excellent condition, but has seen horrendous depreciation on somebody else's dime. Our current motorhome was seven years old when we bought it, was drive 4000 miles a year, and lived in a custom pole barn when not in use. We bought it for 40% of what the original owner paid. Functionally it was much more reliable than new ones that friends had spent 3-4X more for, and they lost more in depreciation than we paid for ours, in their first two years of ownership.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:45 AM

599 posts, read 498,865 times
After snowbirding in rural central Florida, for six years, we bought a campsite. The campground is set up under Fl. condo association laws. The site was under $20K and monthly fees run under $140. This includes everything but your electric bill and a very small real estate tax. Nothing like having a heated Olympic pool, screaming fast wifi, 100+ channels of cable, and a whole lot of other good stuff, for an annual cost that is less that you can rent the cheapest winter campsite for, anywhere in the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement