Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 08:58 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times

Advertisements

Things are more transparent now, via all of the technology and social media. It spans from larger systems of government to smaller systems such as the family unit. I think more things were hidden in past generations. Now, it's harder to do that. It has it's pluses and minuses, but generally positive IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 11:33 PM

16,087 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
When Kennedy campaigned for office, I remember hearing a lot of "I don't want no Pope for president". At the time, it was such a big deal that he was Catholic!
There was a lot of religious antagonism. My Baptist missionary cousins were given time off to come home from Brazil to campaign against Kennedy. We thought they were in the Amazon but they were in Sao Paulo trying to convert Catholics to be Baptists. My country Lutheran pastor would preach against the Baptists one week, Catholics one week, the Mormons one week...we might get a week off before he did it all again. None of that made any sense.

Old 06-30-2019, 06:03 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
There was a lot of religious antagonism. My Baptist missionary cousins were given time off to come home from Brazil to campaign against Kennedy. We thought they were in the Amazon but they were in Sao Paulo trying to convert Catholics to be Baptists. My country Lutheran pastor would preach against the Baptists one week, Catholics one week, the Mormons one week...we might get a week off before he did it all again. None of that made any sense.
And even less now.

Old 06-30-2019, 12:22 PM

2,106 posts, read 979,486 times
I’d pick my son and 6-7 of his friends up from the little league games In my old station wagon all the kids hanging out the back window with their hats on backwards still arguing an umpires call, and wanting to know who’s mothers cooking what for dinner .

Old 06-30-2019, 12:48 PM

446 posts, read 397,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
taking over the US? we were very afraid Russia would drop the bomb and most of the world would be destroyed. What wasn't directly destroyed would be so contaminated as to be unlivable. Thus, bomb shelters.

and a whole lot of fear and distrust.
IME the "fear and distrust" was of the Russians. We did not fear our own schoolmates or our neighbors. As children we might distrust a few of the other kids who had reputations as "mean kids", but we didn't actually fear them. They didn't come to school with knives, or guns, and they didn't throw rocks on the playground or get into fights with each other.

We rode our bikes to school, to the store, to the pool, and to the neighborhood park, where we played without fear of drug dealers or pedophiles, and all this without any sort of Neighborhood Watch." We rode without helmets, and sometimes without shoes.

In my neighborhood people kept their front doors locked (we lived on a busy road), but back doors were left open in the summer daytime and the screen door was left unhooked so the kids could come and go from playing in the back yard. We played barefooted in the summertime and sometimes we got stung by bees we stepped on accidentally, but we knew to look out for bees before stepping into a patch of clover. No one carried an epi-pen.

I was always bringing home stray dogs. Because yes, there were stray dogs -- you could tell them from the other dogs because not on did the strays not wear collars, they were unfamiliar. We knew all the neighborhood dogs because we were out there with them, playing, and they were running free, usually off-leash.

Dogs had puppies, and cats had kittens, and you might sell the puppies for $5 each but the kittens you gave away for free. And if they didn't go to families in your immediate neighborhood, they went to school friends you knew. And you didn't have to ask to see the father; you knew the father. He lived down the street.

You didn't order a purebred dog or cat. You bought (or got one free) from a neighbor or friend, and chances are it wasn't a purebred but a mix of at least two other breeds. You didn't do research into what it would look like as an adult or how it would behave. It would get bigger, continue to have fur, and it would bark and chase cars. You didn't have to worry about its being housebroken because the only house it ever entered for any length of time was its own doghouse. It might not live for decades, but it got lots of exercise and was not overweight.

Old 06-30-2019, 02:45 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times
Smile Good times! - and I mean that!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior7 View Post
I’d pick my son and 6-7 of his friends up from the little league games In my old station wagon all the kids hanging out the back window with their hats on backwards still arguing an umpires call, and wanting to know who’s mothers cooking what for dinner .
And that's how it was.

My mom was that mom cooking dinner....miss those days!

I still remember my brother calling me one night around 1993-1994. We worked together all day at the time but he was so emotional and said you gotta go see this movie; it's our childhood - go see Sand Lot - and it was. That's how it was.

Last edited by Bette; 06-30-2019 at 02:57 PM..

Old 06-30-2019, 02:59 PM

810 posts, read 871,881 times
When someone said "Thank you", the reply was "You're welcome". Now the reply is "No problem."

"You're welcome" felt civilized and respectful. "No problem" sounds a bit coarse.

Old 06-30-2019, 04:08 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,045,032 times
I agree with the cussing, although I work in an industry that seems to attract a lot of foul talkers. Dad spanked me right away for using a profane word in his presence. I didn't do that again! When I was a teenager, my mom would flash a stern glare and tell me to choose a better word.

Overall, and I don't know if one considers this a culture change, but the death of the community is the biggest transformation. Many small and medium-sized towns had a dominant employer (factory, mill, university, corporation, rail yard, prison, whatever) that provided enough good jobs to generate adjacent small businesses. My hometown is small, but has a large state university. My dad's hometown was home to a well-known heavy machinery company. My mom's hometown had a manufacturer of airplane parts. The parts factory is long gone. The heavy machinery company relocated its HQ to a mega-city. My hometown's university (my alma mater) is still running strong, but with less state funding and a lot more adjunct faculty.

Old 07-01-2019, 10:48 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post
When someone said "Thank you", the reply was "You're welcome". Now the reply is "No problem."

"You're welcome" felt civilized and respectful. "No problem" sounds a bit coarse.
One of my favorite jokes is when somebody says, "How you doing?" I respond, "How do you do?"

They get a funny look on their face.

I use "You're welcome," too, but sometimes I switch it up with "De nada," just for the fun of it.

Old 07-01-2019, 01:31 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
One of my favorite jokes is when somebody says, "How you doing?" I respond, "How do you do?"

They get a funny look on their face.

I use "You're welcome," too, but sometimes I switch it up with "De nada," just for the fun of it.
I still say, "You're welcome." My mother drilled that into me and I couldn't get rid of it if I wanted to. Also, when asked how I am, I say, "Fine, thank you." Drilled into me.

I don't like it when someone says, "How ya doin'." But most people around here say, "How are you?" Of course this apartment complex is for over age 65 so that might have something to do with it.

The other day a young person said, "You're welcome." I think it was in a store and it was great to hear it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement