Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 05:11 PM

446 posts, read 396,240 times

Advertisements

I've been reading a novel published in 1947. The family are going to a Fourth of July picnic in their station wagon and the youngest child (2 going on 3) is standing up with his nose pressed against the windshield so he can watch for trucks, his favorite vehicles.
(Spurs for Suzanna, by Betty Cavanna, 1947).

I traveled all the way from Atlanta to Washington, DC when I was about 10 riding in the back of our 1960 station wagon. No seatbelt -- no seat back there. Just me and the suitcases. My sister got the back seat all to herself and I had the "wayback" all to myself. Wonderful way to travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 05:54 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Marshall McLuhan, where are you when we need you............

Old 07-01-2019, 06:29 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,377,819 times
If I got in trouble at school, I got in trouble at home. My parents had one car until my mom started working. If I wanted to go somewhere I had to ride my bike or walk. I didn’t want my parents to talk to my teachers. Corporal punishment was the norm. Some parents took it to far. My sister and I both got whipped once. My cousin and I broke into the cemetery and went ghost hunting. My sister skipped school to hang out with some boy.

Old 07-03-2019, 03:20 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post

Why are retired people hanging around college campuses? That's creepy.
Growing number of Baby Boomers going back to school
https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news...ol-61594693702

Osher Lifelong Learning Institutes (are all over the U.S. at many universities - 122 universities or more)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osher_...ing_Institutes

Senior Citizen Education Program for $10 per credit
https://onestop.umn.edu/academics/se...cation-program

More senior citizens take advantage of University courses
https://www.mndaily.com/article/2018...ersity-courses

Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI classes are all over the U.S. at many universities)
https://ccaps.umn.edu/olli

Old 07-04-2019, 08:47 AM

446 posts, read 396,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
There was a lot of religious antagonism. My Baptist missionary cousins were given time off to come home from Brazil to campaign against Kennedy. We thought they were in the Amazon but they were in Sao Paulo trying to convert Catholics to be Baptists. My country Lutheran pastor would preach against the Baptists one week, Catholics one week, the Mormons one week...we might get a week off before he did it all again. None of that made any sense.
How about other Lutherans (i.e., Lutherans of other synods)? Did he preach against them too? Like, the Lutherans who couldn't or wouldn't take Communion at this pastor's church because they were of a different Lutheran synod?

The Methodist ministers of my growing-up years never preached against any other denomination any more than any ministers in my adult life have. Every year on Thanksgiving Day (not the Wednesday evening before, but Thanksgiving Day itself) the churches in my community would get together for a community Thanksgiving service. Two Baptist churches, one Methodist, one Lutheran, one Presbyterian. By the time I was in high school another Baptist church, a black one, had joined in, as well as the local Conservative synagogue. It was cool joining our public-school friends in a worship service and visiting each other's houses of worship.

Old 07-05-2019, 07:25 PM

341 posts, read 284,727 times
Kids don't play out in the neighborhood spontaneously anymore. Everything is "structured", play dates, some sort of "practice" (soccer, dance, etc).
Our culture is much more sensitive to victim ideology and political correctness.
The race/ethnic/political gaps are bigger than (or have replaced) the "generation gap".
Both left and right have moved to the left.
Both the military and recreational drug use are now considered OK.
Homosexuality was much less acceptable.
Gender roles were much less challenged.
Smoking pot was considered MUCH worse than drunk driving.
There was no social message of "Diversity Is Our Greatest Strength".
Eating meals is much less of a social or family activity; we spend more time eating in the car than we do with family members.

Old 07-05-2019, 07:28 PM

848 posts, read 1,119,392 times
The United States is becoming a theocracy and journalism has become a joke.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:00 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
I wanted to say this would be on a more light hearted note, but I don't know what it is. Anyway, when I was a kid we would go to someone's house for a 4th of July cook out and when it got dark enough, the men would set up the fireworks. Then we would all grab a chair and the fireworks would be shot off into the sky. One time I got to hold a live Roman candle.

Then it became illegal to use fireworks privately. We had to start going to a park to see the town fire off the fireworks. Something was definitely lost when that happened. It changed things because we'd have our cookout more about the middle of the day, then hang around until evening when we would get into the car with our folding chairs and go to the park.

That made me sad but my dad explained that people (even kids) were getting their hands blown off from fireworks every year. So we never had fireworks again and we always had to go to a park and if I lived in a town that wasn't rich enough, they couldn't afford fireworks on the 4th and would have them on the 2nd or 3rd of July. But I have seen lovely displays over a lake or over the ocean, no hands blown off, no fires. Although, people still do tend to buy some fireworks illegally and shoot them off. Where I live now, it's just fire crackers but one place had idiots who would shoot off screaming rockets that could have set the woods on fire! I guess I prefer a safe fourth of July.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:33 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,604,666 times
I remember people, including me, smoking everywhere: in restaurants, at work, in planes, in cars with kids, in homes in front of sick people... ashtrays were on every flat surface in a living room or den.

Old 07-06-2019, 05:11 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,429,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I remember people, including me, smoking everywhere: in restaurants, at work, in planes, in cars with kids, in homes in front of sick people... ashtrays were on every flat surface in a living room or den.
Yep, many of the smokers I knew died of lung cancer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement