Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 08:07 AM

43,106 posts, read 18,269,535 times

Advertisements

Congrats on overcoming all the odds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 08:12 AM

30,527 posts, read 16,222,191 times
Congratulations on living!

You might suggest to the doctors they do a side story on spouses who hang in there too.

just a thought.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:35 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times
Wow! Big congratulations to you!

And thanks for giving another perspective on intensive chemo for what seems to be a hopeless case... I'm sorta of the opinion I wouldn't have chosen your path in your position & would be the loser for it, but we only know when we reach that decision point really what we will do.

My mother contracted pancreatic cancer at 87yo & is still alive & healthy & cancer-free 5+ years later after an operation & chemo.

One never knows, it's all Wheel of Fortune after 65yo.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:00 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
That's an amazing story MadMan. I had a friend survive stage 3 lung cancer, Yep, she still smokes. Uhg! It's a mystery why some people survive what would be impossible.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:02 AM

456 posts, read 348,796 times
Congratulations on winning your battle!

Are they going to give you an autographed copy of the publication?

Old 06-20-2019, 09:06 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,228 times
What a story! Here's to your continuing remission.

Your statement "Life is short. Get one." is apt: You've grabbed life by the cojones and aren't letting go without a fight.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:17 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
...sort of.

I just signed the release forms that will allow my doctors to have my medical case published in the BMJ (British Medical Journal). Of course, there aren't going to be any personal identifiers, so I'm not really going to be famous.

I also learned something else very interesting today as well. My internist revealed to my wife and me that none of my doctors (oncologist, cardiologist, pulmonologist) thought that I was going to survive when I was hospitalized with Stage 4 mediastinal lymphoma and going through chemo in 2017. In addition to the main tumor in my chest, tumors had spread to three of the four chambers of my heart as well (I thought it was only in one chamber), and they believed that it was just too much to overcome.

And if the cancer didn't kill me, the chemo might have. Whereas some cancer patients can take chemo pills or have infusions that last a couple of hours at a time, my chemo program consisted of inpatient, 24-hour, round-the-clock infusions for six days straight, followed by a two-week recuperation period, and then another round of 24-hour infusions for a week at a time. This went on for four months. To say that I was weak and exhausted at the end of that period of time would be an understatement. But then that was followed by five weeks of daily (M-F) radiation treatments. But at the end of it all, the tumors had all but disappeared, and I am now in remission.

It gives one pause to think that my retirement (and my life) could very well have come to a premature end two years ago and is a reason to try to live each day to the fullest.
Damn, I will award you the "You're one tough old bird" award....I debate if I'd even want to go through with that, even if I paid not a dime, and had loads of weed ready....

Old 06-20-2019, 11:24 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
WTG!

My records were sent to the Mayo clinic a long time ago. I have no idea what they did with it.

Cat

Old 06-20-2019, 12:59 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
"What did you do in 2017?"

"I flipped off cancer."

"How did that work out?"

"I'm still here."

It's wonderful to hear you are still here.

Old 06-20-2019, 01:12 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Thank you all so much for the very kind comments. I appreciate it greatly! Rather than respond to everyone here, I wrote bring notes via the rep system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
If you continue to be this tough, we may have to change your name to MadMAXofBethesda. Congratulations, and always happy to hear about people kicking cancer's butt. Would it be possible to give us a link to the article when it's published?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnkw View Post
This is fantastic - congratulations! Post back the issue when you learn it. I want to read about you.
Absolutely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement