Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 05:35 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I am MORE than aware of that, having many in-laws in current or former government jobs. They have pensions.

That is NOT what this thread is about.
Well okie dokie. Your OP sounded like you did NOT know, so I was just offering up some info. You are free to disregard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 05:37 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I would think the worst part of being an atheist is I would have no one to talk to during sex ....
LOLOLOL. I had to stop and think...oh yeah.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:28 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Yes- very sad. A local Diocese is conducting a capital campaign for a retirement home for priests. I didn't donate. Wonder what they're doing for the nuns. Most of the ones I know (I re-connected with a few at school reunions) left the convent. The one who married an orthodontist and lives on Cape Cod seemed to be doing well!

My mother had a friend who was a beautician- she'd had a couple of marriages but none that passed the magic 10-year mark. Apparently she also worked off the books a lot- most salons rent space out to you and you're an independent contractor, so they don't deduct SS. Not sure how she got away with it (you'd think the salon would have reported her share of the income to the IRS) but when she decided to retire at 62 and collect SS, she didn't have enough quarters worked to collect anything.
I've heard of many who work off the books and don't pay taxes. Some think they are beating the system. But when you haven't paid Social Security taxes, you don't get Social Security.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:35 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times
Quote:
I was reading a thread on one of those neighborhood sites -- let's call it DoorNext.com -- with people from my former town in CA complaining about how hard it is to live there with rents and prices escalating the way they are.

One woman commented that her career was as a preschool teacher at a church, so she has no pension, no Social Security and no Disability! Being an atheist, I'm not familiar with parochial schools but if they employ teachers, are they really exempt from making contributions to Social Security?
Stockholm Syndrome. Kidding. But I'm leaning that way.

CA of ** ALL PLACES ** with all the jobs partaking in CalPERS, I'm sure there's something within driving distance she could apply for!

Old 06-25-2019, 07:12 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,104 times
Quote:
Thanks for the link! I did not know this:

Churches and qualified church-controlled organizations that are opposed, for religious reasons, to the payment of social security and Medicare taxes may elect exemption from the payment of the employer’s share of these taxes by filing this form.

Yikes. I wonder if she also doesn't get Medicare. Probably qualifies for Medi-Cal, though.
The churches that claim an exemption must state that they are opposed to all government assistance, so that includes rejecting Medicare. Also, they have to show they care for their members within their sect. "First, the religious organization you belong to must make the short list of those that are officially recognized by the federal government for taking care of their own. The organization must have been in existence since Dec. 31, 1950, and it must have consistently provided for its members during that time. Mennonites and the Amish are good examples. You are not able to just launch a new faith and say you’re opposed to accepting help from the government so you can claim a Social Security exemption."

Old 06-25-2019, 07:27 PM

475 posts, read 318,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
The churches that claim an exemption must state that they are opposed to all government assistance, so that includes rejecting Medicare.
Expanding on this a bit...Is it true that the exemption applies to SS and Medicare but churches are still required to do federal withholding for employees (and state in some cases) and generate W-2's at the end of the year? (I may have misunderstood what I read) Those employees are responsible for paying the full amount for SS and Medicare just like anyone who's self employed.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:16 AM

388 posts, read 307,395 times
I would very gladly take a job for which neither my employer nor myself was required to pay into a government ponzi scheme. If I ever retire, and if by some miracle Social Security still exists when I do, I would not take it anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Well, frankly such churches are not very Christian, either:

Timothy 5:8, KJV: "But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel."
Paul's first letter to Timothy refers to a destitute widow being the responsibility of her own family before she is the responsibility of the church at large. That's rather the opposite of the meaning that you're attempting to give to it.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:20 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaAma View Post
I would very gladly take a job for which neither my employer nor myself was required to pay into a government ponzi scheme. If I ever retire, and if by some miracle Social Security still exists when I do, I would not take it anyway.

Hope you make a fortune all by yourself. Otherwise that's a pretty dumb attitude.

Do you live in Alaska? Are you taking your share of the oil profits they give to all residents? How young are you?

Old 06-26-2019, 08:31 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
No problem. All you have to do is refrain from doing any sort of work where FICA and Medicare are withheld from your paycheck.

Of course, that means you'll never have much of a career or make very much money. But hey, be bold. Stick it to The Man.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:37 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:

Paul's first letter to Timothy refers to a destitute widow being the responsibility of her own family before she is the responsibility of the church at large. That's rather the opposite of the meaning that you're attempting to give to it.
But right here, my point is that megachurches all have expert financial managers. Those expert financial managers are perfectly aware of what a working woman should be doing financially in order to prepare for her old age.

The financial managers in that church know that unless they are paying that woman enough money and unless she is carefully funding her own retirement and unless the church is matching her funds--then they are screwing her.

The financial managers in that church know how money works. They know they are screwing her.

They know they are going to leave her destitute in her old age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement