Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 09:04 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
But right here, my point is that megachurches all have expert financial managers. Those expert financial managers are perfectly aware of what a working woman should be doing financially in order to prepare for her old age.

The financial managers in that church know that unless they are paying that woman enough money and unless she is carefully funding her own retirement and unless the church is matching her funds--then they are screwing her.

The financial managers in that church know how money works. They know they are screwing her.

They know they are going to leave her destitute in her old age.
No one said it was a mega church, only that it was a parochial pre-school. There are thousands of pre-schools throughout the country run by small local churches of all denominations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 09:23 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
No one said it was a mega church, only that it was a parochial pre-school. There are thousands of pre-schools throughout the country run by small local churches of all denominations.
You're right, the OP didn't say megachurch. It said:

Quote:
One woman commented that her career was as a preschool teacher at a church, so she has no pension, no Social Security and no Disability!
I don't believe none of the other staff, elders, or members knows how to prepare financially for one's old age.

When the church filled with the IRS for exemption from Social Security, without making a pension available and without giving proper financial information to their staff in lieu of Social Security, they knew they were screwing their people. The person who filled out the SS exemption paperwork was not ignorant of what SS is.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:14 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Stockholm Syndrome. Kidding. But I'm leaning that way.

CA of ** ALL PLACES ** with all the jobs partaking in CalPERS, I'm sure there's something within driving distance she could apply for!
She's a preschool teacher at a private school. She probably does not have a teaching credential, which any public school will require.

Old 06-26-2019, 11:54 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
She's a preschool teacher at a private school. She probably does not have a teaching credential, which any public school will require.
I concede I did not think about the credential part.

Old 06-26-2019, 11:57 AM

475 posts, read 318,417 times
Quote:
But right here, my point is that megachurches all have expert financial managers. Those expert financial managers are perfectly aware of what a working woman should be doing financially in order to prepare for her old age.
Where is it written that businesses of any kind are under any obligation to see that their employees are prepared for old age?

Quote:
The financial managers in that church know that unless they are paying that woman enough money and unless she is carefully funding her own retirement and unless the church is matching her funds--then they are screwing her.
When does a person take responsibility for their own future? Unless this women was promised something didn't materialize, they weren't screwing her.
She made a choice to work under those conditions. (no retirement, no employer contribution to ss etc.)

If this woman worked her entire life for this church (hence the reason she has no SS etc.) it would seem that at some point in her life (assuming she wasn't aware all along) it would have occurred to her that she wasn't contributing to social security or putting money away for retirement and she would have done something to rectify the situation.

Quote:
They know they are going to leave her destitute in her old age.
If she's destitute it's by choice, not because some financial manager plotted her demise.

Old 06-26-2019, 02:15 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibay View Post
Where is it written that businesses of any kind are under any obligation to see that their employees are prepared for old age?
It's written here:

Timothy 5:8, KJV: "But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel."

Everyone should look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others. – Philippians 2:4

And let us watch out for one another to provoke love and good works. – Hebrews 10:24

Carry one another’s burdens; in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. – Galatians 6:2

These people are supposedly Christians. They're saving money for the church at the expense of the members working for them, and they know it.

That might not be a problem for a secular business, but it that's not a good look for a Christian organization.

Old 06-26-2019, 02:17 PM

249 posts, read 196,035 times
Many teachers who aren't tenured do exactly that. I'm not in a retirement system AND I will get no SS for my working years in this state. I've been teaching in my current position for six years, but I'll get nothing except what I save (+interest).

You can google this, but here's a quote to explain it: "...some state government employees, including teachers, don't pay Social Security payroll taxes and aren't entitled to retirement benefits from Social Security. The history of this practice dates all the way back to Social Security's formation, when the law was intended to cover only private employees. At the time, it wasn't clear whether the federal government could force states to pay payroll taxes. Only in the 1950s did the rules change, allowing states to have the ability to join Social Security.

The majority of states elected to enroll their government workers in Social Security. At that point, those workers started paying payroll taxes, and they earned their retirement benefits in the same way as any other worker.

However, not every state participated. Now teachers in 12 states -- Alaska, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Illinois, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Missouri, Nevada, Ohio, and Texas -- don't have coverage arrangements with Social Security. In addition, three other states -- Georgia, Kentucky, and Rhode Island -- have varying degrees of coverage that differ by school district."

Old 06-26-2019, 02:28 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
U.S. society and other countries in Europe and the world have evolved to where benefits for employees are given as part of a humanistic society, a society where concerns for healthcare, retirement funds, and other benefits offered with jobs are part of a well-developed society and a structure which benefits workers.

Old 06-26-2019, 02:41 PM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaAma View Post
I would very gladly take a job for which neither my employer nor myself was required to pay into a government ponzi scheme. If I ever retire, and if by some miracle Social Security still exists when I do, I would not take it anyway.

Paul's first letter to Timothy refers to a destitute widow being the responsibility of her own family before she is the responsibility of the church at large. That's rather the opposite of the meaning that you're attempting to give to it.
I'll believe that when I see it.

You may be the first, but I've never seen anybody turn down money that they worked for and are legally and morally entitled to. Maybe take the SS and then you can donate it to seniors in need.

Old 06-26-2019, 02:46 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
U.S. society and other countries in Europe and the world have evolved to where benefits for employees are given as part of a humanistic society, a society where concerns for healthcare, retirement funds, and other benefits offered with jobs are part of a well-developed society and a structure which benefits workers.
If only! Most employers today give benefits only because job seekers have learned to ask for them. If a company wants the best workers it can get, it will provide benefits to keep the worker from going to the competitor company.

Added. Those that don't need skilled labor will cheap out... minimum wage and part time hours so they don't have to give health insufance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement