Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What electronics do you MAINLY use?
Keyboard/Monitor 22 30.99%
I-Pad or Tablet device 13 18.31%
Laptop computer 31 43.66%
A cell phone 5 7.04%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 09:18 AM

6,615 posts, read 6,487,181 times

Advertisements

Since there was a thread about “Where are you in real life when you post here?” , I thought it would be fun to do a poll to see what those of us in the retirement forum uses what kind of electronics for browsing the Internet, emails, etc.

For every day use, I use my computer at my desk, consisting of a tower and large monitor. I’m just far more comfortable using a full sized keyboard and looking at my monitor set up in front of me.

For travel, if it's a road trip, I take my laptop. It's heavy, so I don't fly with it.

For flights and once I've reached my destination, I use my I-Pad.

My phone? Never. Maybe it’s an age thing and I’m just old school? (I’m 61 years old) I don't think I'll ever use a phone for anything other than talking or texting because it's too small and I just can't be bothered with the way the keypad is set up so small. For that reason, I dislike texting, but it comes in handy now and then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 09:23 AM

7,469 posts, read 6,185,429 times
All of the above.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:29 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,019,146 times
I have a smartphone but it's deliberately a small one (iPhone SE) that can fit into my jeans back pocket while gardening. To be honest, if Verizon wasn't sunsetting their 2G network at the end of this year I might be still using my old 2008 LG flip-phone because that was perfect for that, LOL. It sure is easier to send texts on the smartphone than multiple pushes of all those flip phone number keys, though. I appreciate that aspect and also the ability to block individual spam callers which my old phone could not do. But internet/email on the smartphone? Ugh, no, screen waaay too small. That's what my nice wide desktop computer monitor is for.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:32 AM

6,615 posts, read 6,487,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
All of the above.
So you use all of them all the time? None of them MAINLY?

Old 06-25-2019, 09:34 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,948,053 times
I Pad pro and IPhone 8 Plus - most often because they are mobile and can be used all over. I also have an laptop and desktop/keyboard with 2 monitors.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:56 AM

15,242 posts, read 12,813,333 times
I have a perfectly good iMac Retina 4k that I never use any more. Love the big screen but having to sit at a desk and work is too limiting. I use my MacBook Pro probably 90% of the time. I even set it on the tub surround last night and watched a movie while I was bathing.

I find iPads to be too limiting as well, even though I have two of them. I use one as a Bluetooth music server in my van and use the iPad Pro in restaurants and such. I will never buy another iPad. They're great for people who consume content but I find them much less useful for doing actual work.

I use my phone a lot, though not for making calls, mostly for doing research on the fly.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:57 AM

34,821 posts, read 30,876,901 times
Probably 90% of the time I'm at a desktop computer with a real keyboard.

I'll occasionally post something short from my iPad or iPhone. I have a Bluetooth keyboard for the iPad.

I have an inexpensive laptop, but rarely use it.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:58 AM

37,426 posts, read 45,616,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Since there was a thread about “Where are you in real life when you post here?” , I thought it would be fun to do a poll to see what those of us in the retirement forum uses what kind of electronics for browsing the Internet, emails, etc.

For every day use, I use my computer at my desk, consisting of a tower and large monitor. I’m just far more comfortable using a full sized keyboard and looking at my monitor set up in front of me.

For travel, if it's a road trip, I take my laptop. It's heavy, so I don't fly with it.

For flights and once I've reached my destination, I use my I-Pad.

My phone? Never. Maybe it’s an age thing and I’m just old school? (I’m 61 years old) I don't think I'll ever use a phone for anything other than talking or texting because it's too small and I just can't be bothered with the way the keypad is set up so small. For that reason, I dislike texting, but it comes in handy now and then.
Poll is a bit useless. I use all of those devices including my phone (and I am 63.)

Old 06-25-2019, 10:02 AM

17,264 posts, read 11,091,067 times
It's going to vary a lot depending on where you are, at least it does for me.
-At home I use my laptop
-At work my iPhone
-If I'm somewhere that I know will take me a while to get something done like having my car worked on, waiting at the airport or something like that, I use my Tablet

So it just depends on the circumstances and where I am.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:25 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,098 posts, read 80,155,784 times
I haven't used a desktop in years, at home or at work. I have an i-Phone, at home I have a laptop and an i-pad. At work I use a Surface with docking station, keyboard and dual monitors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement