Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2019, 05:07 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,232,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
I'm pretty sure that in order to have a Facebook page for a business, you have to pay, so there is no free advertising on that particular platform.
Facebook does not charge for a business page.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 09:13 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,306,731 times
I tried OLD about a year after my husband died in 2010 and I found that the paid sites have a much better class of people. If they are paying for a membership they either have serious intentions or aren't cheap. I met two guys from Christian Mingle but one was a religious nut job and the other one was divorced twice and wanted us to get married within a few months of meeting. He also claimed in his profile he needed to "lose a few pounds" when he actually needed to lose at least 100 pounds. Great personality but I could never get intimate with someone that overweight.

Every once in awhile I check out a few of the free sites to see if there is anybody I might be interested in but they are few and far between. I prefer to stay single; I'm not lonely and I enjoy being alone although some people think it weird that I don't want to date. As I say in my profile "better to be alone than with the wrong man" and it seems like most of the men on dating sites are the wrong man. I don't want the complications and to be honest I'm not sure I want an intimate relationship at this point in my life for many reasons. Now if I could find a companion who didn't want to get married or even live together and wasn't expecting sex on a regular basis I might be interested.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:23 AM

714 posts, read 721,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I tried OLD about a year after my husband died in 2010 and I found that the paid sites have a much better class of people. If they are paying for a membership they either have serious intentions or aren't cheap. I met two guys from Christian Mingle but one was a religious nut job and the other one was divorced twice and wanted us to get married within a few months of meeting. He also claimed in his profile he needed to "lose a few pounds" when he actually needed to lose at least 100 pounds. Great personality but I could never get intimate with someone that overweight.

Every once in awhile I check out a few of the free sites to see if there is anybody I might be interested in but they are few and far between. I prefer to stay single; I'm not lonely and I enjoy being alone although some people think it weird that I don't want to date. As I say in my profile "better to be alone than with the wrong man" and it seems like most of the men on dating sites are the wrong man. I don't want the complications and to be honest I'm not sure I want an intimate relationship at this point in my life for many reasons. Now if I could find a companion who didn't want to get married or even live together and wasn't expecting sex on a regular basis I might be interested.
I think you speak for a lot of us.

Old 07-06-2019, 11:05 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,420,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Facebook does not charge for a business page.
I stand corrected. A friend had a business page, and I could have sworn that she said there were costs involved. Maybe she was referring to sponsored posts, and fees for promoting her business on Facebook.

Old 07-06-2019, 12:23 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post

I've noticed businesses have widely been incorporating FB into their marketing and advertising plan in recent years.
FB also has a vast array of pages for special interest groups - from vegan eating to jazz, and 100's or 1000's of other special interests - where people of like-minds or the same interests congregate.

It's definitely not comprised of just personal pages of family or individual photos and personal life happenings.....and business pages.

Old 07-06-2019, 12:39 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,267,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
As I say in my profile "better to be alone than with the wrong man" and it seems like most of the men on dating sites are the wrong man.
I put it differently on mine: I have a very good life and a good man would be the icing on the cake. In other words, he has to ADD to it.

Old 07-06-2019, 01:17 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,755,100 times
I don’t need icing on the cake, it makes me fat. Lol

Old 07-06-2019, 08:28 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Off topic......I cannot for the life of me figure out why young people have so much trouble meeting people to date. Unless someone moves a lot it seems to me they would know people from high school, university, or their job (although that might not be the wisest date pool). When I was young I met people at parties, the library, work, the pool, skiing (husband!). We ran around in packs and met new people all the time.

It occurs to me that we may just not hear much from people that have good dating/relationships. It may just be a case of the people unable to find relationships being louder/complaining about it.
Not everyone is equally eligible for dating opportunities, though. I ran around in packs and did all those things when I was young and I knew a lot of people, but very few men wanted to date me. Some people are simply passed over, mainly because of lack of physical attractiveness. Those of us who aren't pretty people are often well-liked but not considered dating material.

What I find odd is that people seem to have the attitude that we just accepted our fate, and because we generally aren't seen as date material in their eyes, that means we aren't interested in having relationships the same way regular people are.

At 59, I found myself in a relationship after many years of being alone post-divorce. Some people I know from my church and other social circles seemed somewhat surprised, as if it never occurred to them that just like them, I wanted a partner.

There are people out there who just EXPECT that they will have dating opportunities because they've never known life to be otherwise. Of course, they might not find the type of partner they are seeking, but they don't lack the opportunity. Through some weird trick of genes, I have a daughter who is unusually attractive. She has never ever experienced lack of interest or any time in her life when she could not find a date, but she has had some less than satisfactory relationships along the way.

Your post makes me think you are in that category of people to whom the opportunity to date was always a given. Think of people you know who are single. Do you assume that they are that way because they want to be? They could very well be, but then again, maybe not.

Old 07-06-2019, 08:56 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,755,100 times
How about they work for a small company, tiny company, not may people.

Old 07-07-2019, 09:46 PM

676 posts, read 720,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I hate to say this, but the women of a certain age may be attractive, but the men are not!

That is my experience.
and they all want young beautiful women. Well they may want it and try to get one, but if I was young and beautiful I wouldn't want an old geezer. Lol. And a 75 year old poster on here confirmed it. He want "50ish" eye roll. Can't blame him for trying though. Lol

Last edited by Marble cake; 07-07-2019 at 09:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement