Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2019, 01:44 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,433,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestocking12 View Post
Thanks for everything, everyone! Yes, I know 3-4K per month seems comfortable to many, but it's impossible to overstate how expensive it is to live in Massachusetts! When rents are 3000+ (way more in the city and in suburbs with good schools) and house payments are the same, I have no idea how anyone here lives with children on less than six figures.

What's hard is spending so much to live here in service of dh's job. Our daughter is up and out and we're free but for the job.

These posts really give me hope because of the practical ideas and overall support I'm getting. Thank you.

Oh, we've lived in the mid-west and I loved Iowa, especially, but don't want to move back. Dh and I are Yankees at heart and would rather be dealing with snow, etc., in VT or Maine than in the heartland.
I think you need to look at rents more. Places like Norwood, Dedham, Braintree the rents are much more reasonable. May not be a house but I think you both can deal with it for a few years. Since your daughter is now up and out schools are not a factor anymore right? The only thing is being a reasonable commute to work for your husband. I say he keeps working until he is at least full retirement age and you are at least 65 so that you both can be on medicare. By doing so he will be increasing the amount he gets. I would also say for you to delay taking social security until you are full retirement age. You will then get 1/2 of what your husband's full retirement benefit is. Whether or not he delays taking until 70 is something you need to discuss.

Next, I would look at moving out of New England and no not the heartland. Look south to North and South Carolina, especially South Carolina. In and around Summerville area you can find a 2 bedroom small condo under $150K. Being in a condo your husband could also offer his computer and handyman services to others who may not be so handy. There are other areas of South Carolina that are nice as well such as Greenville but it is a little more expensive than Summerville but far less expensive than Boston. Moving to Vermont might impinge on your medical care if you live too far from any big areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2019, 01:46 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,533,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Our retirement is up to us. Which is why I planned for my retirement. No one tossed me aside like trash. In fact, every month we have a five figure income. BECAUSE WE WORKED FOR IT.

The idea that seniors should be given free money is ludicrous. Want some money? Work for it and save some for retirement like the rest of us did. But don't think that getting to a certain age entitles you to freeload off the rest of us.
Exactly.

Old 06-30-2019, 01:48 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,426,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Our retirement is up to us. Which is why I planned for my retirement. No one tossed me aside like trash. In fact, every month we have a five figure income. BECAUSE WE WORKED FOR IT.

The idea that seniors should be given free money is ludicrous. Want some money? Work for it and save some for retirement like the rest of us did. But don't think that getting to a certain age entitles you to freeload off the rest of us.
Don't you Alaskans get a yearly subsidy for some reason...like just living there?

Old 06-30-2019, 01:51 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
Don't you Alaskans get a yearly subsidy for some reason...like just living there?
We have the Permanent Fund Dividend, but it's nothing to get excited about. Lately about half of it has been used to fund our ever-expanding state government.

Old 06-30-2019, 01:52 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,639,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestocking12 View Post
No, our daughter is up and out and working as a BA level Social Worker. It took her 10 years to get through college but, by god, nothing was going to stop her. If we hadn't spent 100s of thousands during her childhood getting her/fighting for services, she would never be where she is today. She's applying for grad school next year.
That's wonderful; good for her. Does she live in the Boston area? Are you wanting to stay close to her, or to other family members?

Old 06-30-2019, 01:55 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post

I don't need a big space. Shared walls do not bother me. I've lived in apartments and have never experienced all the noise people mention. Maybe i am deaf?

No kids - so no grandkids. No travel trailer. Only one vehicle.

I'm also looking into small home living - not tiny, but small.

And no more pets for me.
I thought you said it will be at least EIGHT years (if not 10 years) until all of your EIGHT dogs die which have prohibited you moving. And that you have not moved because of the ten dogs you have had which are now eight dogs.

One certainly cannot live in an apartment having eight dogs -

anytime within the next upcoming 8 or 10 years of your dog ownership of 8 dogs, and more than one (or two) dogs.

So not sure why you're mentioning apartment living any time in the next eight years for yourself - except that you're upset with your huge lawn needing to be taken care of this weekend and ongoing.

Last edited by matisse12; 06-30-2019 at 02:05 PM..

Old 06-30-2019, 02:01 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,433,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post

Well I wouldn't really call them subsidies as it isn't from taxes but rather it is from royalties from mineral rights. You need to read up on the Alaska Permanent Fund to better understand it.

Old 06-30-2019, 02:08 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I thought you said it will be at least EIGHT years (if not 10 years) until all of your EIGHT dogs die which have prohibited you moving. And that you have not moved because of the ten dogs you have had which are now eight dogs.

One certainly cannot live in an apartment having eight dogs.

So not sure why you're mentioning apartment living any time in the next eight years for yourself - except that you're upset with your huge lawn needing to be taken care of this weekend and ongoing.
I figure three will pass away this year or next.

Apartment living is one choice, but i will probably do the small house thing first.

Old 06-30-2019, 02:09 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I know it's easy to forget this, but some of us don't have desk jobs. The old bod cannot keep up with the physical demands.

Funny how often people have to be reminded of this.

Of course, OP is not one of these...
OP said they had six figure income. Sounds to me like it was possibly a desk job.

There are plenty of jobs out there that seniors can do, that don't require hard manual labor. And 60s is not "elderly" or frail. These are not people in their 80s.

I would look into part time work.

Last edited by PriscillaVanilla; 06-30-2019 at 02:35 PM..

Old 06-30-2019, 02:15 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Can we skip the politics please, and get back to the topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement