Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 04:46 PM

6,568 posts, read 6,732,860 times

Advertisements

You can get into your town's senior housing units in the Boston area while still making almost 65k a year. If you are in an affluent town you will find that those complexes are well kept. If you apply in the town you currently live in the wait list should not be more than several years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

35 posts, read 36,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Since you husband is a handyman there are many areas in the country where you could buy a fixer upper for about $50,000.

As long as you keep moving to a lower COL off the table I really don't have any sympathy for you.
We are all about moving to a lower COL area. COL in Vermont, NH, or Maine is comparable to COL in Iowa.

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
I would plan to keep working at some type of job.

Old 06-29-2019, 04:47 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,046,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Wow. And here I thought I was doing so well! If I stayed back East, that would have been my situation near Boston. How is that poor?
It is, trust me. Same situation in any of the so-called Bedroom Counties outside NYC. Or even parts of coastal Connecticut if within commuting distance of NYC.

As @yellowsnow mentioned, an income of $30K/single or $60K/couple is effectively poverty level in the NYC metro areas and immediate suburbs, even if it's not national-statistically considered so. In real world daily life conditions those numbers are bare-bones. It's not uncommon for housing (esp. if mortgage + property taxes) to eat up 30%-40% of income in my area, for example.

Old 06-29-2019, 04:47 PM

106,562 posts, read 108,713,667 times
It all depends where you live .....60k here would be like living on 30k in other areas

Old 06-29-2019, 04:59 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
It is, trust me. ...It's not uncommon for housing (esp. if mortgage + property taxes) to eat up 30%-40% of income in my area, for example.
I was living 30 miles west of Boston when I moved to Colorado for retirement. My r/e taxes were about $6500/yr for a two-bedroom 1250sq.ft. house in a great town (certainly a good size for two if a couple). Mortgage was about $1600. I could certainly live there with those costs and a $60k income in retirement. Cut out the restaurants and I'd be a-ok.

I didn't move to CO for cost of living, as costs here aren't a whole lot better except for r/e tax.

I have never agreed that living costs must be 25% of budget. Not reasonable and certainly not impoverishing if 25 percent or more.

Have one new car and maintain it like religion. Watch charitable contributions. Carry dental insurance.

I do not agree that $60k in a high COL area is anywhere near poor.

Old 06-29-2019, 05:01 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I don't understand.... do you still owe those two houses? or do you have the proceeds from the sale in savings?

Is your only asset / money SS?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-29-2019, 05:14 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,046,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I do not agree that $60k in a high COL area is anywhere near poor.

But for two people, though? For one person, sure, no problem on $60K. But two? Especially if having two cars is a necessity, which in some areas it is. (I know there's Uber, Lyft, etc but not everywhere and not everyone is comfortable using it; I would not be.)

Old 06-29-2019, 05:16 PM

550 posts, read 368,344 times
Would you consider a manufactured home (previously known as mobile homes)? You might be able to buy one and avoid monthly housing costs.

Some states treat these as personal property such as autos (even though they are not mobile any longer) which would reduce your property tax bill considerably.

Here's one website with some listed: https://www.senior-retirement-living...h.php?State=MA

Also, if you can wait until age 70 to take Social Security, you will increase your monthly income by 30%. Maybe at least one of you could do this.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-29-2019, 05:27 PM

663 posts, read 433,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestocking12 View Post
We will have 1 car, no debts, and very simple needs. Moving isn't an option, we're in metro-Boston, have no funds for a downpayment and cannot find a rental for less than what we are paying now.

Could you do live on about $3300/month, after housing costs? What would you do to get ready?
To get ready start cutting optional costs now and put all you can into an account that makes interest.
How do you spend your money? What are things you can reduce?
Eating out? Entertainment? regularly buying new cars?

Make a goal of spending ONLY 3300 a month after housing expenses now. What does that picture look like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement