Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 03:45 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times

Advertisements

yes, they move somewhere:
the last 6 months, our church has grown 11% due to Grandparents moving to where most of their Grandchildren are.
we should have built a new sanctuary 4 years ago, but the money went to expand and upgrade our parking lots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 04:46 PM

1,013 posts, read 725,475 times
We live in a neighborhood with a majority of retired people. After a certain number of years many have moved to be close to their children. Some went to assisted living, some to condos. One couple in their 80’s decided to move somewhere new, not near any of their4 kids!

I’m not sure what we’re going to do but the climate here is bad for my health so we’ll eventually move also.

Old 07-03-2019, 05:16 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Not referencing anyone in particular, but there are people who don't handle change well.
It's not necessarily having trouble with change but not NEEDING change in order to be happy. There are people who require change ("new, shiny objects") on a regular basis.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:48 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,240,727 times
Yeah, almost all of my work and volunteer colleagues that reach retirement age leave the Bay Area if they have not been here forever. Ie, if they bought their homes after 2000, or their kids aren’t here.

It sucks, but I get it.

Old 07-03-2019, 11:10 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
A lot of retirees like to move to retirement communities to get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life, no traffic, noisy areas, school kids running around, racing cars etal.
Moving to communities with nice homes, activities/amenities geared to retirees and close to shopping/medical are a plus and also meeting folks with similar likes/needs.
Some people like to stay put, some move to warm climates, some move just to get away and start new, some move to be close to relatives/kids/parents.
Some even have 2 homes, one for summer one for winter. So many choices that one has to make up their mind as to what their priorities are.
Also things change every few years after you retire and your needs will be different as you age.

Old 07-04-2019, 04:12 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times
Lots of retirees chase their children. They move close to be near grand children.

But then things change. I have a friend who had her in-laws move here. They actually built a new retirement house to be nearby.

Then that friend was promoted and she moved her family to Wisconsin.

I doubt those in-laws will follow this time.

It's cheaper to just visit grands.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:47 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
A modern day wrinkle with the Circle of Life.
Is that an old age joke?

Old 07-04-2019, 07:51 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLfan1977 View Post
We live in a neighborhood with a majority of retired people. After a certain number of years many have moved to be close to their children. Some went to assisted living, some to condos. One couple in their 80’s decided to move somewhere new, not near any of their4 kids!

I’m not sure what we’re going to do but the climate here is bad for my health so we’ll eventually move also.

That happened to me. We had two locations to choose from. South Carolina lost out because of high humidity. I can't breathe well there. So it's Las Vegas. I breathe much better here, but really miss the green of a "wet" state.

We moved from Iowa and I do not miss winter at all.

Old 07-05-2019, 12:07 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,431,354 times
My kids can chase me

We expect lots of visitors bugging out of the cold to see us

Old 07-05-2019, 11:06 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
We have discussed this and decided to stay in close proximity to where we now live. Will be keeping our eyes open for a single story dwelling of less square footage, new or existing, but no desire to move away. We like the area where we have lived for 40 years, and our children give no indication they will ever settle in one spot for more than 5 years. The two couples have lived in Florida, New York, North Carolina, Massachusetts, Connecticut, DC, California, Michigan, and Saipan. No, they are not Military.
On the other hand, you are free to move anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement