Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 08:45 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,252,535 times

Advertisements

Given your list- park city would be my pick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 09:01 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuKidInTown View Post
I'm 55 (male) and she's 52. Recently engaged. I'm retired military and she's a teacher who will retire within a year.

We will have combined pensions of $125,000 per year. Savings of $200,000. Health care is covered since I'm retired military.

Considering:

- Boise ID
- Colorado Springs, CO
- Pacific NW
- Knoxville, TN
- Park City, UT
- Las Vegas (Summerlin)
- Prescott, AZ

We are active and enjoy hiking, tennis, traveling and like hills/mountains and greenery. Would like to minimize long hot summers and long cold winters.

Snowbirding and reverse snowboarding could be an option, but would prefer not to have two houses. Love the Pacific Northwest and lived in Washington for a couple years -- but would only want to live there over the summer -- so would need two houses (one in PNW and one in Prescott or Las Vegas, for example) to make that work, which doesn't seem financially feasible.

We are not limited to the list of places above -- other suggestions are most welcome!

Thoughts?
I retired to Knoxville. I love it here. There is always something to do. The downtown is alive. There are lots of parks and greenways intown, plus proximity to the mountains. Lakes. Summer is hot, but it is a long season to enjoy the neighborhood pool and water sports. Winter is mlld, so you can enjoy the outdoors year-round. Your dollars will go far here.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:23 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,009,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
I retired to Knoxville. I love it here. There is always something to do. The downtown is alive. There are lots of parks and greenways intown, plus proximity to the mountains. Lakes. Summer is hot, but it is a long season to enjoy the neighborhood pool and water sports. Winter is mlld, so you can enjoy the outdoors year-round. Your dollars will go far here.
Never considered that city. Thanks for the idea.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:46 AM

564 posts, read 281,637 times
Floridians for our first 50+ years, we basically threw a dart and ended up in Spokane, WA three years ago. Love it here. Plentiful outdoor activities in both summer and winter. July and August can be warm but still have cool nights. January and February can be cool and snowy but San Diego, Vegas, and Phoenix are only a couple of hours away non-stop from GEG. Spring and fall are sublime and not to be missed. Cost of living is medium/low and healthcare is outstanding.

How about snowbirding without the anchor of the second home. Last winter we enjoyed winter activities like snowshowing on Mt. Spokane. We also spent time in Vietnam, Hawaii, California, and visiting family in Florida. This winter we plan on an extended stay in Thailand and a couple of weeks on the Big Island.

Renting in desirable snowbird locations can be expensive but if you plan ahead and rent by the month it's not that bad. And don't forget SS is going to add about $5000 per month to your income.

We have lots of parks here but Manito is the real gem. Lots of really cute houses in the $350 to $500k range:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...sible%22:true}

Old 07-06-2019, 10:41 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,430,973 times
Have time to vist each place ?

Boots on the ground is the best method to make your choice,

Fo me, no snow so AZ wins out if your list. But, that is just me

Good luck

SALUTE

Old 07-06-2019, 11:07 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,720,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStation46 View Post
Have time to vist each place ?

Boots on the ground is the best method to make your choice,

Fo me, no snow so AZ wins out if your list. But, that is just me

Good luck

SALUTE
Prescott snowfall averages of 5 - 6 inches per month in December, January and February.

Old 07-06-2019, 11:22 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,767,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuKidInTown View Post
We are active and enjoy hiking, tennis, traveling and like hills/mountains and greenery. Would like to minimize long hot summers and long cold winters.

Thoughts?
PNW. We lived in Seattle for 30+ years and it is pretty mild weather yet is close to the mountains for easy hiking and skiing trips. You have to be OK with lots of gray skies though in the winter. My recommendation is to live outside of Seattle or Portland, but west of the Cascades. Seattle in particular is a zoo with terrible traffic. Bonus is WA does not have an income tax.

Old 07-06-2019, 11:47 AM

50 posts, read 27,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
You should probably say if you plan to rent or buy. That will affect your economics by a great deal if you need a down payment on a house.
Will be buying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Fan 79 View Post
Floridians for our first 50+ years, we basically threw a dart and ended up in Spokane, WA three years ago. Love it here. Plentiful outdoor activities in both summer and winter. July and August can be warm but still have cool nights. January and February can be cool and snowy but San Diego, Vegas, and Phoenix are only a couple of hours away non-stop from GEG. Spring and fall are sublime and not to be missed. Cost of living is medium/low and healthcare is outstanding.

How about snowbirding without the anchor of the second home. Last winter we enjoyed winter activities like snowshowing on Mt. Spokane. We also spent time in Vietnam, Hawaii, California, and visiting family in Florida. This winter we plan on an extended stay in Thailand and a couple of weeks on the Big Island.

Renting in desirable snowbird locations can be expensive but if you plan ahead and rent by the month it's not that bad. And don't forget SS is going to add about $5000 per month to your income.

We have lots of parks here but Manito is the real gem. Lots of really cute houses in the $350 to $500k range:
Thanks. Will research Spokane.

Old 07-06-2019, 11:49 AM

50 posts, read 27,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
PNW. We lived in Seattle for 30+ years and it is pretty mild weather yet is close to the mountains for easy hiking and skiing trips. You have to be OK with lots of gray skies though in the winter. My recommendation is to live outside of Seattle or Portland, but west of the Cascades. Seattle in particular is a zoo with terrible traffic. Bonus is WA does not have an income tax.
What do you think of Eugene, Oregon?

Old 07-06-2019, 11:50 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
Never considered that city. Thanks for the idea.
I meet a lot of people who have retired here from other states. No income tax, although the sales tax is high. Knoxville is a friendly place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement