Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 09:39 PM

215 posts, read 190,487 times

Advertisements

Just curious how close the online calculator was to the actual check?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2020, 10:35 PM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times
There are plenty of calculators out there put together by experienced retirees who can nail it to the dollar. I'm glad you've had the privilege of retiring in such a wealthy state. Most of us will have to make do with far less than a CALPERS pension.

Old 06-04-2020, 10:47 PM

18,732 posts, read 33,406,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
There are plenty of calculators out there put together by experienced retirees who can nail it to the dollar. I'm glad you've had the privilege of retiring in such a wealthy state. Most of us will have to make do with far less than a CALPERS pension.
Why do I get the feeling that you're not remotely glad?

Old 06-04-2020, 11:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,254 times
Hi-not yet a CalPERS retiree but I’m close!
Probably retiring at the end of the year.
My sister retired 4 years ago and said the online calculation was only a few dollars off.
They have improved the calculator since then so I’m thinking it’s pretty accurate.
Have you requested a retirement calculation from PERS?
When are you retiring?

Old 06-05-2020, 06:31 AM

11,130 posts, read 9,769,935 times
Quote:
Perhaps you don't realize that the average CalPERS pension is about $2876/month, as of 2019. Considering the high COL of CA, that's not a ton of money. It's nice, don't get me wrong, but not as much what most people seem to think.

The calculator should be close enough to make a decision whether or not to retire. It can be off by a few bucks due to vacation days on the books, actual date of retirement, or other minor factors, but not enough to worry about.

Old 06-05-2020, 08:37 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
There are some people who get very large retirements from CalPERS but the vast majority get relatively modest pensions.

But no one is stopping you from getting a public sector job in California so why the pension envy?

Old 06-05-2020, 09:14 AM

215 posts, read 190,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishgirlyc View Post
Hi-not yet a CalPERS retiree but I’m close!
Probably retiring at the end of the year.
My sister retired 4 years ago and said the online calculation was only a few dollars off.
They have improved the calculator since then so I’m thinking it’s pretty accurate.
Have you requested a retirement calculation from PERS?
When are you retiring?
I'll have my highest year August 1st. I had planned to go December 30th (I'll be 62 earlier in December) but the work situation is changing and I am not sure I want to stick around till then.
I haven't requested the official number. I've run the online calcs and I went in and they ran them too.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:19 AM

11,130 posts, read 9,769,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
There are some people who get very large retirements from CalPERS but the vast majority get relatively modest pensions.

But no one is stopping you from getting a public sector job in California so why the pension envy?
re: Bolded above....I was thinking the same thing.

Old 06-05-2020, 10:30 AM

529 posts, read 492,054 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Perhaps you don't realize that the average CalPERS pension is about $2876/month, as of 2019. Considering the high COL of CA, that's not a ton of money. It's nice, don't get me wrong, but not as much what most people seem to think.
Serious Conversation, you are young enough to go to California (or any state that you consider a rich state) and work, so please, if you are not satisfied with your own retirement plan, do something about it.

A lot of laws related to pensions were changed a number of years ago in California, and that average above is going to be less in the future, as people affected by it start retiring.

I have a pension from California, although not CALPERS, and the online calculation was only off by $70 a month. Several friends that have CALPERS were saying their calculations were off by less than $100 a month. Can't complain about that, because there is a lot of factors in the actual calculations that can not put in, until the day after you retire anyway.

Old 06-05-2020, 11:53 AM

30,383 posts, read 19,184,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post

The calculator should be close enough to make a decision whether or not to retire. It can be off by a few bucks due to vacation days on the books, actual date of retirement, or other minor factors, but not enough to worry about.
$2876/mo is a pittance to live in Cali. Do they also get social security? I have family that retired in Louisiana that gets a state pension but no social security so not sure if this is what other states do or not.

I had thought that the Cali pensions were higher than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement