Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 10:42 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,520,072 times

Advertisements

We are the about only country where this, tipping of any sort, continues to be a issue.

Old 07-07-2019, 10:46 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
This is not just in California. I was in Maine and they have do have tip jars and stuff. The difference is food is relative cheap comparing to California, so of course I tipped generously. And the service was much much better in California. They do come back and ask you whether you need anything.

Old 07-07-2019, 10:54 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Does anybody else find this non stop begging for tips out of control? I live in California. The least an employee can be paid is the state minimum wage of $12 an hour.

On January 1, 2020 it goes up to $13 an hour. Yet every where I go there's a tip jar. I begrudgingly tip waitresses 15%, but that's it. It's not rocket science.

I refuse to tip anybody else. If you don't like your job, get a different one. If you don't like your wages, talk to your employer, not me. If you made a bad career choice, I'm sorry.
I generally tip waiters/waitresses 20-25% (depending on the service, but most of them are stellar around here), and I'd tip hairdressers, nail technicians and the like if I used them, but I ignore tip jars.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:01 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
I tip servers between 15-25% depending on the level of service, with 18-20% being my norm. I don't tip people who scoop my ice cream, do my dry cleaning, or hand me my pizza from behind the counter, tip jar or not. They haven't done anything other than their job. I'm happy to tip servers because their job is HARD. Hard on the body, hard on the ego, hard on your last nerve. I tip delivery guys, of pizza or furniture, etc, if they arrive timely and my items arrive in good shape. At Christmas I tip my mail carrier, my UPS driver, etc. I tip my tour guides, and bartenders. I tip my hair stylist and my dog groomer.

I did resent being automatically charged an 18% tip on every alcoholic beverage on a recent cruise. When a glass of wine is $10, they charge you almost $2 tip for pouring wine from an open bottle while you stand in front of them at the bar. Even if you ahve the drinks included package, they still charge this tip. I normally tip a bartender, but not $2 for one glass of wine. You are also charged tips for your dining room servers, but if you order an alcoholic drink with your dinner or lunch, instead of water or tea or coffee, you get charged an additional 18% tip on each alcoholic beverage you drink at that meal. If I can afford a cruise, I guess I can afford to tip, but I don't think that the server is getting even half of that tip from his employer. So it makes me a bit resentful to be automatically charged multiple tips at one meal.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:04 AM

3,272 posts, read 3,933,909 times
How much I can afford has no bearing on how much I tip. Someone said tipping a plumber or an auto mechanic. If that doesn't tell you tipping is out of control in America, nothing will.

Should I tip my doctor or airline pilot too? Where does it end. I tell you where it ends for me, 15% for a waitress/waiter, and not a penny more.

Some of these poor people are only making $25 or $30 an hour

Old 07-07-2019, 11:10 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
One of the reasons I so rarely eat out (I love to cook!) is I hate tipping Waiters/Waitresses. But, I think nothing of giving my auto mechanic a nice tip, or my Plumber, or A/C repair man and I even try, without success, to tip overworked cashiers at the grocery store. I give tips to those I feel really deserve it. Serving me a meal that will add more weight to me???????
I hope you're joking. Your choice of food is not the server's fault.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:35 AM

15,251 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
We are the about only country where this, tipping of any sort, continues to be a issue.

We must now, in unison, hang our heads in shame.

This is how ridiculous tip threads get.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:41 AM

43,102 posts, read 18,269,535 times
I also think tipping has gotten out of hand. It's expected for any personal service now and for any delivery to our home.

And people still tip even with bad service.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:49 AM

962 posts, read 612,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Don't get me started on tipping maids at a hotel.
If you don't leave a tip for the maid, she will likely stick your toothbrush up her vagina.

I always leave a decoy on the sink. Hide the real one.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:56 AM

253 posts, read 235,055 times
I never tip the Amazon warehouseman. I don't know where their jar is. I mention this because I think salaries should be properly set and not dependent on nice person or bad person or guilty person or selfish person or obligation or resentment or …. A purchase should be priced to cover the cost of business including a living wage of the people who sell or service the product. I resent all tips but not the persons I give the tips to. They need it and I realize that so I begrudge the crazy system and not the worker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement