Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 10:14 PM

449 posts, read 192,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola The yorkie View Post
Wow! What fun as you get older!

I read your wife is a nurse..likely from The a Phillipines as her mother is..
How is her license coming? There are a lot of Phillipines nurses working here....she will do well..as a nurse of 50 years myself..

Hope we are helping..
Yes Lola she’s a real joy...!! At 3 she’s just learning to talk.
She is currently licensed for Hawaii and Washington state .
Wow congratulations ! That’s great that you cared for so many for so long !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 10:46 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,205,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I am confused too. Retired people with children under age 16 receive extra benefits.

Why not go to your local social security office and ask them?

Frankly, I feel like this is a rip-off. I worry social security will run dry before I retire. Then, find out some people are getting extra payments. On top of that, the spouse's mother wants to come without private health insurance and use medicare.

No wonder the USA is going broke.
This.

It's insanity.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
This.

It's insanity.
I see a lot of Mets fans congregate here....

Old 07-12-2019, 04:12 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,074,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakadinhi View Post
To clarify, this is not a question regarding survivor benefits but for a Spousal child in care benefits.

Do I need to file for her Spousal child in care benefits at the same time I file for my SS benefits or am I able to file at a later time and not lose the opportunity ?
I will be filing for my toddlers benefits at the same time I retire. I'm just worried that I may lose the opportunity to file for my spouse at a later time.

Her concern arises from wanting to immigrate her mother from the Philippines and is afraid it could affect her chances with regards to having government assistance already and how they may perceive the application during their review. She feels it could harm her chances negatively.

Does anyone have some knowledge and information on a situation such as this ?

Any and all response are welcomed !

Thank you for your time and knowledge !

You were not clear who is receiving government assistance already your wife or her mother ?? Regardless, seems like you have a good handle on these benefits after doing my own research and you proved me wrong in several instances.

It is good that your wife is working in a profession that will allow her to be self supporting in the event you should predecease her as I myself am an R.N. and had a husband predecease me. That is correct that both your child and your wife if she has custody of and care taker of your child can receive benefits on your account while you are living and the child is under the age of 18. If you should pass before your child is 18 at that point they receive a survivor benefit and your wife's care taker benefit increases. Once your child reaches the age of 18 all the benefits they are receiving on your record cease as does the care taker benefits your wife was receiving on your record. If at that time your wife is below the age of 60 she would not yet be entitled to claim a survivor's benefit on your record, but if she were to become disabled after your death at 55 she could claim a reduced survivor's benefit. Also be aware that if your wife wants to claim her survivor's benefit from 60 up to her full retirement age she will face the same income restrictions she would if she were to claim her own benefit prior to her FRA.

From what I have read I do not think there is a time limit when you have to file for dependent status for your child and wife. And I don't see any reason why delaying this would benefit you, your child, or your wife. Just to be clear, your wife and your child receiving Social Security benefits on your record is not government assistance because you paid into Social Security while working which makes you and your dependents eligible to receive benefit on your record. Welfare is government assistance where the individual receiving it did not have to work and pay into the variety of programs that constitute welfare as it is needs based not income contributory based.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
I see a lot of Mets fans congregate here....
Say what?

Definitely not a Mets fan. Not sure what that has to do with anything...

Old 07-12-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
I have no response to your last paragraph seeing that you are native american....
Thanks for the response.
Again, what does this mean?

Old 07-12-2019, 12:57 PM

1,488 posts, read 872,094 times
Quote:
Yes Lola she’s a real joy...!! At 3 she’s just learning to talk.
She is currently licensed for Hawaii and Washington state .
Wow congratulations ! That’s great that you cared for so many for so long !
Yikes..toddlers really are the fun age! Enjoy each day

Just a note re your wife and her RN license...she already has two licenses, so it will happen..My sister just returned to Ca from Md...she said the Ca licensing process was very time consuming..another hint..Ca had containing education requirements..30 hours every two years...if she doesn’t come from a state that requires CE, don’t think Ca will license her til she has proof of those hours..BTW...there on online sources of Ca CE..costs a bit, but can be done all at once...I assume she has researched this at the Ca RN website..if not...have her do that ASAP....not sure if Wa has CE required...

Enjoy your little one..let me know if you need any help

Lola is my puppy! My name is Rosemarie

Old 07-12-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
You were not clear who is receiving government assistance already
No one is receiving government assistance... that was an assumption by a poster who is against my MIL from immigrating here....
your wife or her mother ?? Regardless, seems like you have a good handle on these benefits after doing my own research and you proved me wrong (I am not trying to prove anyone wrong) in several instances.

It is good that your wife is working in a profession that will allow her to be self supporting in the event you should predecease her as I myself am an R.N. and had a husband predecease me. That is correct that both your child and your wife if she has custody of and care taker of your child can receive benefits on your account while you are living and the child is under the age of 18. If you should pass before your child is 18 at that point they receive a survivor benefit and your wife's care taker benefit increases. Once your child reaches the age of 18 all the benefits they are receiving on your record cease as does the care taker benefits your wife was receiving on your record. If at that time your wife is below the age of 60 she would not yet be entitled to claim a survivor's benefit on your record, but if she were to become disabled after your death at 55 she could claim a reduced survivor's benefit. Also be aware that if your wife wants to claim her survivor's benefit from 60 up to her full retirement age she will face the same income restrictions she would if she were to claim her own benefit prior to her FRA.

From what I have read I do not think there is a time limit when you have to file for dependent status for your child and wife. And I don't see any reason why delaying this would benefit you, your child, or your wife. Just to be clear, your wife and your child receiving Social Security benefits on your record is not government assistance because you paid into Social Security while working which makes you and your dependents eligible to receive benefit on your record. Welfare is government assistance where the individual receiving it did not have to work and pay into the variety of programs that constitute welfare as it is needs based not income contributory based.

Thank you Nightengale212 for your post... I appreciate your input !

Old 07-12-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola The yorkie View Post
Yikes..toddlers really are the fun age! Enjoy each day

Just a note re your wife and her RN license...she already has two licenses, so it will happen..My sister just returned to Ca from Md...she said the Ca licensing process was very time consuming..another hint..Ca had containing education requirements..30 hours every two years...if she doesn’t come from a state that requires CE, don’t think Ca will license her til she has proof of those hours..BTW...there on online sources of Ca CE..costs a bit, but can be done all at once...I assume she has researched this at the Ca RN website..if not...have her do that ASAP....not sure if Wa has CE required...
We are actually looking to move to WA and not CA. Thanks for the information though !

Enjoy your little one..let me know if you need any help
Thank you Rosemarie... that's very kind of you ! Can you come and babysit for a week and give my wife a needed break.... ?

Lola is my puppy! My name is Rosemarie
Well, we adore puppies too !!

Thank you Rosemarie !

Old 07-13-2019, 04:24 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,074,462 times
Quote:
Thank you Nightengale212 for your post... I appreciate your input !

I would like to make a suggestion regarding your wife's nursing career which maybe she should consider. I have worked as an R.N. 41 years and the last 20 years for the VA/Veterans administration. Since this is Federal Government employment, regardless of the state you work in, the VA only requires that an R.N. hold a valid nursing license from any US state and maintain the licensure requirements of the state where the R.N. license was obtained. I work in R.I. and if I wanted to transfer to another VA Hospital to work at say Florida for example I would not need to get a Florida license.

There are several additional benefits for an R.N. working at a VA. From day 1 of employment an R.N. accrues 8 hours of vacation time each two week pay period, so at the end of their first year that have accrued 5 weeks of paid vacation. That is a huge benefit because it takes many years of working in the private sector to get that amount of vacation time. Another great benefit although it is not cheap is the health insurance. Going with BC/BS Basic Self & Family it is slightly less than $400/month. Although your wife will have to contribute more to the FERS pension plan than I do as a long time employee since the pension plan changed a few years back, retiring with a annuitized pension is almost unheard of now in the private sector. And that benefit along with a 5% match TSP/401K benefit combined with Social Security, if your wife does the time and works at least 20 years at the VA that will deliver her a pretty decent retirement income because the annuitized pension portion will be calculated from a pretty decent R.N. salary. Yes, working for the VA has it's challenges, but I can honestly say my only regret working for the VA is that I did not start there sooner because I would be retired now!!

If working for the VA sparks an interest in your wife, tell her to go on the website USA.gov jobs where she can search for available R.N. job openings all across the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement