Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 02:50 PM

1,893 posts, read 1,009,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingstrong View Post
I've moved through life in a series of phases - the carefree single phase, the young couple with kids in tow phase, the stressed out teen parenting phase, the empty nester phase, and the grandparenting phase. I happily ended each phase without a backward glance until I arrived at this new one. Due to a job change that allows for her mother to pick her up after school, I am free from after school childcare for youngest granddaughter. I have long looked forward to having more free time but now that it’s here, I realize that the end of this phase puts me one step closer to the phase I do not want to enter. The one that I dread. The one that I’m going through with my mother. The phase where you are no longer responsible for other family members, but instead are someone that other family members need to be responsible for. I don’t think my mother realized when she shifted into this phase of her life - she only needed a little help around the house, the vacuum cleaner was suddenly much heavier and she couldn’t see well enough to notice the dust and dirt collecting, and all of a sudden bill collectors were calling even though she was sure she sent them a payment but she couldn’t quite figure out her checkbook. I don’t want to go there - I’m not ready for that phase. Will I know it when it happens - will I care? As I look forward to more freedom and travel this knowing of what is finished and what is yet to come hangs over me like a black cloud. I’m sure I will work through it, but I think for me this will be the most difficult phase of my life yet. What phase of life are you in and what has been the most difficult for you?
My parents entered a continuing care community on their own about 3 yrs ago - fortunately they could afford it as it's expensive. This process is helpful in that it'll help the transition to the last phase. They have someone cooking, cleaning, checking on them - and if/when the time comes, they have more dependent care available (up through nursing home).

In my opinion, it's important to simplify your life as you get into your 70s.....get rid of excess belongings, streamline your finances/assets, streamline your payment of bills, minimize your bills and purchases to the greatest extend possible, purchase appliance and other warranties that allow you to make a single call and you have something fixed, live in a community where stuff happens around you and you don't have a worry (ie landscaping, maintenance, etc).

I find myself thinking I better make the most of each day and sometimes get antsy thinking I better get a move on and experience travel and other things that I've wanted to do before the ability to do so runs out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 10:41 PM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
It’s different for everyone. My mom and her sister were still living in their own apartment at 90-94 with no help.

Old 07-21-2019, 03:05 PM

2,271 posts, read 1,666,238 times
To the Op: I’m in the phase where I’ve lost both parents now. My Mom this year, and I’ve felt adrift, trying to find my place in a world without them. We’ve traveled back home to visit every summer and it’s unsettling not to be planning that trip this year. It’s a variety of first events happening after a change I have to go through to find a new normal. An unbidden memory still brings tears at times, but it’s becoming easier as time passes.[/quote]

The same with me. My parents were in quite good shape and living in my childhood home right into their 90s. Their deaths were very difficult for me as I (and my family) enjoyed many trips “home”. Cleaning out their house of 50+ years was heartbreaking even though they lived a happy, fulfilling life. I do realize how very fortunate I was to have them so long but I still miss them.

When I then lost a close friend of many decades it was another blow. It is difficult to lose people who were always in your corner, even when you have a loving husband and children of your own. You do learn to move on and, in some ways, I find I appreciate my life even more now. Our attitude is “why wait” to do things like travel or fix up a part of the house. Best to enjoy life while you have the opportunity.

OP, I understand your feelings but now your granddaughter will be sharing her experiences at school and you will be going to her sports events and/dance recitals/concerts. You still have happy days ahead!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement