Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 01:30 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I wasn't sure I'd like it either, but now without libraries, the Kindle is a necessity and I'm grateful every day!
We were same, thought we wouldn't like e-readers and vowing to stick to paper books. Then picked a Kindle up for cheap on some Amazon sale day since figured could use it for upcoming three week trip and not need to carry eight books taking up all our backpack space.

That was that, we never went back. Don't knock something until you've given it a shot, and having tried reading on your tablet or cell phone is not the same as an e-reader.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 03:07 AM

115 posts, read 60,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
We were same, thought we wouldn't like e-readers and vowing to stick to paper books. Then picked a Kindle up for cheap on some Amazon sale day since figured could use it for upcoming three week trip and not need to carry eight books taking up all our backpack space.

That was that, we never went back. Don't knock something until you've given it a shot, and having tried reading on your tablet or cell phone is not the same as an e-reader.
I resisted getting a Kindle even though my sis in law kept telling me how great there are. What finally pushed me what traveling to the US for xmas with a 1,000+ page book in my backpack. So I bought one for me and one for hubby while there - 2011. I buy our books and newspapers on my Amazon US account (which is cheaper!)

I still have all the books I owned when I bought the Kindles and still feel a house with bookcases filled with books is without character.

I have books on creative photography and history books with photos, travel books etc etc. Obviously can't be on an ebook.

I love being able to read on plane for hours and hours because my eyes don't get tired. Love popping it into a small handbag to read on a train, etc.

Old 07-20-2019, 01:56 PM

885 posts, read 624,546 times
I'm reading 3 different books currently. All of them have been checked out from the Chicago Public Library. I read reviews of newly published books in the 2 Chicago newspapers. When I find a book that might interest me, I will check the library's website for availability. More often than not, a book will have already been acquired by the library system. I haven't purchased a book in a number of years.

Kudos to the Chicago Public Library staff for keeping current in the literary world.

Old 07-20-2019, 07:48 PM

558 posts, read 338,221 times
Famous person writes a book. Sells a million copies. New York Times Bestseller!! The stacks at Costco are still there, barely touched. Who is buying these paper books?

Old 07-20-2019, 07:56 PM

30,523 posts, read 16,217,604 times
apparently nobody if there's a stack of them. Doesn't mean people don't read real books. As mentioned in previous posts, there are other ways to obtain them.

Old 07-20-2019, 10:36 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPeople View Post
Famous person writes a book. Sells a million copies. New York Times Bestseller!! The stacks at Costco are still there, barely touched. Who is buying these paper books?
NYT bestsellers usually can be borrowed from libraries. No point in buying one unless you intend to keep it. I tend to buy the more obscure or niche books and borrow bestsellers from the library.

Old 07-20-2019, 11:24 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Would the anti-cell-phone freaks have a problem with listening to books, albeit through the car's speakers, handsfree?
I can’t do it. When I listen to books I picture what’s going on in my head so I would be driving distracted. Been there, done that, almost had an accident.

However for pretty much everybody else, it’s no different then listening to your selection of music while you drive.

Old 07-21-2019, 03:41 AM

35,061 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I can’t do it. When I listen to books I picture what’s going on in my head so I would be driving distracted. Been there, done that, almost had an accident.

However for pretty much everybody else, it’s no different then listening to your selection of music while you drive.
When I'm in my car, I generally select music with which I'm familiar. Or such composers, genres or artists. One is not so familiar with an unknown artist.

Old 07-21-2019, 09:04 AM

732 posts, read 390,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post

That's my take. They are a great replacement for paperbacks or pure-text smaller hardbacks, not so much coffee table books. Life is big enough for both things. The ability to hold multiple books, resizing/reflow, and the ability to read in low-light conditions are great things

Like I mentioned in another thread somewhere, Kindle + Calibre + Libgen is sketchy from a legal standpoint, but life changing.

I do wish they had better management for holding a larger library, though. I've never run into the concept of a subfolder on a Kindle.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:31 AM

16,070 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Would the anti-cell-phone freaks have a problem with listening to books, albeit through the car's speakers, handsfree?
Most of the "anti-cell-phone freaks" object because too many people use them for texting and searching google, not for hands free use. Therefore I doubt most people who are anti cell phone would object to audio books. Apples to oranges, unless you want to compare texting to turning pages and reading an actual book while driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement