Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 05:20 PM

558 posts, read 337,870 times

Advertisements

Walking through Costco, there is a book section, some people browsing. Are they just bored waiting for someone or do people still read books today? I loved paper books as a kid, audio books later, now computer simulations of books. Books take up space so download it to the computer and delete when bored or done. I read an actual paper library book maybe once a year, here we have virtual rentals that expire like paper books so why drive a car for miles? Back and forth, waste of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 05:23 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,067,125 times
I get a library book for my book club, if I can't get the kindle version free. If I have to pay for a book, I am definitely getting the kindle version. I find paper books too hard to handle.

Old 07-13-2019, 05:31 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,117 times
I do read e-books, but I massively prefer paper books. I like the physical experience of it. Books were my salvation and escape when I was an unhappy kid, and I think the physical experience is almost as wonderful as the mental/emotional experience of reading.

Luckily we have a Barnes & Noble close to where we live. They may still be in business thanks in no small part to DH and me. We spend at least a couple of hundred dollars a year - usually more. And always donate/swap the books when we're done, usually to small libraries that many RV parks/campgrounds have these days.

I also make liberal use of the library when we're at home. For both paper books and e-books.

I read e-books on a Pixel C tablet. Makes it difficult to read outside. I may invest in a dedicated e-reader that's easier to use outside, and then may read more e-books than I do now.

Old 07-13-2019, 05:34 PM

2,497 posts, read 3,402,543 times
Yes, I read paper books from the library or from our own book shelves. Hopeless bibliophile here!

Old 07-13-2019, 05:45 PM

1,204 posts, read 933,812 times
I was one of the bookworms who swore up and down that ebooks would never replace the feel of a real book. Until The day I was given an iPad and used it to read a book. There was no turning back. I still read maybe 10 paper books a year, from the library, on those occasions when a new book catches my eye during a book club meeting. The rest are all digital. I buy some on amazon, but read many more through overdrive, which is the library ebook program, and also pay a monthly fee to scribd to access their ebook system.

Reasons all are variations on convenience. I can zap the book onto my iPad in seconds at times when the library and bookstores are closed, and without traffic, looking for parking, and using gas. I live in a remote area where bookstores are nonexistent and there is only one good but small library. Through overdrive, I belong to three large library systems. When traveling, I can carry around thousands of books on my little iPad. I can adjust size and style of print. And it’s backlit, no need to have a bright reading lamp.

So I sit in my bookcase and book lined study, which still gives me a sense of coziness and pleasure, reading on my iPad. The best of both worlds!

Old 07-13-2019, 05:45 PM

4,341 posts, read 2,226,301 times
Prefer paper books & magazines.

But will force myself to read on-line articles.

A whole e-book??? Makes my head hurt just thinking about it.

Old 07-13-2019, 05:49 PM

962 posts, read 612,071 times
Yep. I do. Paper books are great.

E-books are great too.

I read around 60 books per year (90% non fiction).

Old 07-13-2019, 05:56 PM

5,449 posts, read 4,042,372 times
I got a basic Kindle when DH was in the hospital and I was staying with him. But I haven't used it in years. I prefer real books and have a bunch in abeyance, waiting to be read. I do have a Kindle Fire tablet but I just use it for internet, not reading books.

Old 07-13-2019, 06:01 PM

1,156 posts, read 939,941 times
I usually just buy the cheapest version, sometimes that's the e-version but often it's a hardcopy at the local used bookstore.

Old 07-13-2019, 06:13 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,247 times
I kept shelves and shelves full of books for 40+ years. I hated having to keep them dusted all the time, it was quite a chore. Switched to a Kindle and never looked back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement