Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 08:52 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I was a voracious reader from age six, majored in English as an undergrad and got a Master's in English Literature (hence the Shakespearean user name) (hence the use of the word "hence" ). But in the last couple of years, for reasons I can't explain, I have lost interest in reading books. Fiction just bores me now -- I find I just don't care about the characters or what happens to them. Once in a while I'll read a memoir if it's really well written.

I haven't stopped reading altogether, however. Every day I read for hours on my computer: several newspapers, plus a variety of blogs and internet forums, including of course C-D. Just not so much into the books these days.
I also lost interest in reading books at one point, and figured out that it's because I'm done with best-sellers. Reading multiple books by the same author often becomes repetitive.

These days I hold out for books and authors who have won literary awards. Most of the books I read now, I thoroughly enjoy. Some of them take a bit of work to get into, but it's usually worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 09:05 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,629,749 times
I get my books from the public library branch that is real close to my home.
I have 2 authors that I track to see when they have new books coming out or out already that I've missed. I google it and get a list by date of publication. I then go to my library website and search. Sometimes the book is still in acquisition but I am
able to place it on hold and they email me when it arrives. If they do have the book and it's not at my branch, I put it on hold and they bring it to my branch from another branch. This is so handy. There is a hold section shelf specifically for this purpose. So I probably read 6 to 12 books a year now and if it's available in the large print edition I opt for that. There is still nothing like the smell and feel of a book! Sometimes they have the Electronic version available but I'm not interested. Another great feature is in your online account it shows your checkout history in case you forgot if you've read a book or not.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:33 AM

115 posts, read 60,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numsgal View Post
DH and I have a large library of books we've collected over our life times. I re-read all of mine, so yes, I still read books. I also have a Kindle and read e-books. I'm not going to spend money replacing all my books with the Kindle version. That would cost WAY too much!
I only did that with all my Outlander books.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:54 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
I was on the road for nearly a year, staying in hotels, short term rentals, airBnBs, and friends' houses in 16 states. For a few weeks, we didn't even own a car.

So lugging around books was pretty much out of the question, and I came to love my tablet. I already did most of my reading on it, but it became my only computer, for email, web surfing, playing games; I even used it to keeps notes.

Yesterday, though, I got a library card in my new hometown, and I'm on the waitlist for the newest book from a favorite author. Not available as an ebook, I'll suffer through having to go pick it up when it arrives at the library, then keep track of due date and physically return it. How old fashioned!

Old 07-14-2019, 10:12 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,755,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I was on the road for nearly a year, staying in hotels, short term rentals, airBnBs, and friends' houses in 16 states. For a few weeks, we didn't even own a car.

So lugging around books was pretty much out of the question, and I came to love my tablet. I already did most of my reading on it, but it became my only computer, for email, web surfing, playing games; I even used it to keeps notes.

Yesterday, though, I got a library card in my new hometown, and I'm on the waitlist for the newest book from a favorite author. Not available as an ebook, I'll suffer through having to go pick it up when it arrives at the library, then keep track of due date and physically return it. How old fashioned!
Your library will probably send an email reminder three days before your book is due, mine does.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:22 AM

11,050 posts, read 6,639,868 times
I am SO thankful for my Kindle! I was an avid library-goer, several books a week. Now we retired in So. America where there are no libraries or English books. I can get online books from the Dallas library or free on Bookbub/Amazon.

I put myself to sleep reading in the dark every night, and it doesn't bother DH like having a light on would. We travel a lot so have our Kindles at the ready for flights or hotels or beaches. They are great outside too.

I'd be lost without my Kindle. It is actually harder to go back to a physical book now; Kindles are so easy to read.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:25 AM

4,511 posts, read 5,051,906 times
Have never and most likely never will read an e-book. But then I have never and most likely will never text either. Paper books are the only way I read. And I use my phone to make calls only.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:41 AM

1,304 posts, read 855,271 times
Another dinosaur here. Unpacked umpteen boxes of books yesterday (recently moved here) and shelved them neatly in the glass fronted cabinets in the new house....another reason I love this old house! I am always reading and have another stack by my bed. I usually read in bed at night, so not a good idea to be screen reading. I still prefer and subscribe to a paper version of the newspaper.....that's how old fashioned I am! Love my Chromebook, but for me, books have to be "real". No e-books for me.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:44 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,766,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Looking for a good ophthalmologist since I have relocated but once that is set up, it may be time to do something serious. If not, audible books may be next for me. Large print doesn't cut it at this point.
Yes, do get your eyes checked. It could be more than just needing glasses. DW's vision was getting blurred and turns out she has a torn macula which needs to be repaired surgically or she'll lose sight in that eye.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:57 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,407,065 times
Sure do every day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement