Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 08:45 AM

121 posts, read 89,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
That is YOUR opinion. I think it's BS! My grandmother ate a healthy helping of beef, chicken and pork her whole life, along with cheese, whole milk, eggs and butter.

She lived til 99, and died only because she fell, broke her hip and went into a coma after a surgeon tried to fix her hip.
Years ago, I was listening to a leading surgeon on public radio who suggested that possibly in a lot of cases a broken hip caused the fall rather than the fall causing the break. No way to prove it but his suspicion was based on the fragility of the bone that was found when trying to do the repair.

His point was the importance of maintaining bone strength through calcium, exercise, etc as the outcome for most older people with fractured hips is not good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 09:40 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
I'm 60 and although I am in good health, I know my best days are behind me. Anything that happens from this point on (cancer, heart attack, etc.) can be expected. We don't all live into our 80s or 90s and most folks I've known who made it to 90, wished they hadn't. As Janis used to say, "get it while you can, because it may not be there tomorrow".

Old 07-19-2019, 09:44 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWA View Post
Years ago, I was listening to a leading surgeon on public radio who suggested that possibly in a lot of cases a broken hip caused the fall rather than the fall causing the break. No way to prove it but his suspicion was based on the fragility of the bone that was found when trying to do the repair.

His point was the importance of maintaining bone strength through calcium, exercise, etc as the outcome for most older people with fractured hips is not good.
Let's see, my MIL at 88 ended up lying on her icy front porch one morning when she went out to get the newspaper.

She wasn't supposed to do that but the people who were "taking care of her" (she was alone 20 hours a day) often wouldn't bring her her paper. So she took a chance.

She lay there for two hours before a passerby spotted her crumpled form.

Yes, there was the usual which-came-first-the broken-femur-or-the-fall. Her bones were very soft. She ate well, took calcium, exercised as much as a person who is dependent on a walker can do. None of it did any good.

I suggest that "leading surgeon" may be out of touch with boots-on-the-ground reality.

Old 07-19-2019, 09:51 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
All any of us can do is to live each beautiful, wondrous new day to its fullest...

I, also, have been diagnosed with COPD.
The oxygen therapist at the VA Medical Center has recommended that i try their portable personal oxygen therapy for when i'm doing active, strenuous chores outside around my place. Like cutting firewood, etc. After Fire Season, is over.

Take Care...

I need something for doing the somewhat strenuous activities and I do see oxygen in my future. All my own fault, of course, but I'll manage. If this is the worst health issue I have I'll consider myself 'lucky'. So far, so good. So far I only have to use an inhaler once a day.

Old 07-19-2019, 03:40 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
That is YOUR opinion. I think it's BS! My grandmother ate a healthy helping of beef, chicken and pork her whole life, along with cheese, whole milk, eggs and butter.

She lived til 99, and died only because she fell, broke her hip and went into a coma after a surgeon tried to fix her hip.
Everyone says things like that. There are always exceptions. It's a known statistic, for example, that outdoor cats don't live as long as indoor cats. But whenever you say that, someone will invariably say, "My grandma had a cat for 24 years, and it lived outside all that time."

But statistics are factual. I don't know what the stats are, but there is a book called "Blue Zones" that discusses the several areas on earth where the people in those areas live much longer than the norm, often past 100. They aren't in nursing homes, either, or sitting in rockers on porches unable to move. They live healthy long lives. The book discusses the lifestyles of the various people. It's an interesting book.

There were few absolute consistencies among all the areas. Each was different in its way. But one thing the author noted that was consistent among all the Blue Zones is that they ate little to no meat. One area ate meat only once a year, during a festival. It was too hard to get and too precious to eat meat regularly there. Other areas ate no meat of any kind at all, sometimes for religious reasons and sometimes for other reasons.

There are many factors that go into people living past 100. But there are certain things that are known to play a bigger part than others. Genetics, weight, diet, smoking history, etc. That's not to say that there are not any who buck the averages. But those are statistics and studies, based on averages of a certain number of real people over periods of time.

Example: A morbidly obese person is not likely to live a normal life expectancy, and certainly not past 100. In fact, he almost certainly will not. That doesn't mean that somewhere on earth there isn't a morbidly obese person who is over 80 or 100. There might be. But there are biological reasons why that will almost never happen.

Old 07-19-2019, 05:09 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Everyone says things like that. There are always exceptions. It's a known statistic, for example, that outdoor cats don't live as long as indoor cats. But whenever you say that, someone will invariably say, "My grandma had a cat for 24 years, and it lived outside all that time."

But statistics are factual. I don't know what the stats are, but there is a book called "Blue Zones" that discusses the several areas on earth where the people in those areas live much longer than the norm, often past 100. They aren't in nursing homes, either, or sitting in rockers on porches unable to move. They live healthy long lives. The book discusses the lifestyles of the various people. It's an interesting book.

There were few absolute consistencies among all the areas. Each was different in its way. But one thing the author noted that was consistent among all the Blue Zones is that they ate little to no meat. One area ate meat only once a year, during a festival. It was too hard to get and too precious to eat meat regularly there. Other areas ate no meat of any kind at all, sometimes for religious reasons and sometimes for other reasons.

There are many factors that go into people living past 100. But there are certain things that are known to play a bigger part than others. Genetics, weight, diet, smoking history, etc. That's not to say that there are not any who buck the averages. But those are statistics and studies, based on averages of a certain number of real people over periods of time.

Example: A morbidly obese person is not likely to live a normal life expectancy, and certainly not past 100. In fact, he almost certainly will not. That doesn't mean that somewhere on earth there isn't a morbidly obese person who is over 80 or 100. There might be. But there are biological reasons why that will almost never happen.
Well whatever the statistics say, I like my meat too much to give it up, so hopefully my good genes and with a lot of luck, I'll live to a decent age enjoying a good grilled steak or burger now and then.

To add to this, I think it would be easier to cut out meat if a person is a vegetable and fruit lover, which I am not. I eat them mostly because they are good for me. Only certain vegetable dishes have close to the same appeal as a steak would.

Old 07-19-2019, 11:02 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post
Ten years ago I worked with an 80 year old man in Tennessee. Skin tight and healthy, brain sharp as a tack, he told me he'd grown up and gone through life on a healthy diet of greens. the only odd thing to me was that the guy smoked unfiltered Pall Malls and kept a perpetual lit cigarette dangling from his lip.
I think there used to be more old timers like that. From doing genealogy I see that people either died in childhood or didn't live to be really old but the ones who made it past a certain age could live to be 90 or 100.

Somehow those tough characters survived the diseases that killed everyone else, they survived instances of food poisoning (no refrigeration), they just had it in their genes to survive and they survived no matter what. They could drink and smoke and eat terrible food and still survive. The weak people often didn't live long enough to reproduce.

These days, weak people don't die off. They are kept alive (we want it that way) and they live to have kids, thus weakening the gene pool. In those old days of survival of the fittest, some really tough people were born and bred. (But, I notice you said he did eat his greens--probably a very good thing to do.)

Old 07-20-2019, 05:35 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
This string reminds me of a funny George Carlin clip...a hardened immune system due to swimming in the Hudson river as a kid..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X29lF43mUlo

Old 07-20-2019, 09:54 AM

8,335 posts, read 6,419,063 times
My best friend died recently, he seemed to strive to eat as unhealthy as possible. When I would say something he would look at me like I'm nuts.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:58 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
My friends, Susan, Larry, Joe and Harry died recently and they all looked so healthy!

Isn't that what undertakers are for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement