Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 05:38 AM

1,893 posts, read 998,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
The low rent for a simple 50 sq meter (little over 500 sq feet) apartment is one of the best things here. Most in the eastern part of Germany are available for less than 500 Euro ($570) per month. That's all I need, and it is easy to take care of. No, didn't take a huge amount of motivation or energy. I was here last summer on a bike tour for 3 months, and realized how easy it is for me to live here. Once I get settled into my own apartment, I will start taking some multi-day trips to neighboring countries. There are endless places to visit without needed to travel a huge distance - that is the other thing I like about it.
Sounds very interesting. I lived there several times over a period of 40 yrs and left 2009. Always thought I'd live in Germany for half the year - but the plans change. Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 05:42 AM

37,424 posts, read 45,609,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old today View Post
My parents used to be snowbirds and escaped the cold weather of Minnesota for three months every winter in either Florida or Arizona. They told me there were 100,000 or more snowbirds in the Phoenix area every winter.

But what about Sun Birds? People who live in the Southern USA and just can't take the summer weather in places that are just so hot, humid and miserable in June, July, and August. A summer day in places like Arizona, Florida, or pretty much anywhere in the sunbelt can be just as miserable to a retired person than winter up north.

So, anyone here who escapes the summer heat every June-September and if so, where do you go?
I wish. I despise summer more and more each year. When I retire, I will probably do more traveling up north to get away from it.

Old 07-18-2019, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
Many come here to Western North Carolina. It has been between 62 and 65 each morning and rarely gets above 85 on our mountain. We also enjoy a breeze and relatively low humidity.
My brother lives in Ft. Lauderdale but he is moving to Otto soon - bought a retirement house there. Can't wait to go visit him one summer.

Old 07-18-2019, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I wish. I despise summer more and more each year. When I retire, I will probably do more traveling up north to get away from it.
North isn't necessarily enough. Mountains seems to be the trick.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...us/1754689001/

Old 07-18-2019, 05:51 AM

13,499 posts, read 18,085,536 times
Quote:
....So, anyone here who escapes the summer heat every June-September and if so, where do you go?
This is not quite on your track, but a parallel one perhaps. NYC could be a wretchedly hot and unpleasant place in the summer, thinking especially of Manhattan. I do remember that the families of some co-workers moved to the Jersey shore or Fire Island or end of Long Island for the summer.

One such arrangement was rather funny:

I was acquainted with a woman for awhile who was the mistress of a very, very wealthy man. She had a Manhattan apartment, but she hated the heat of the city in the summer. He bought her a house on Fire Island where she could live for the summer, and he could visit her.....and, clever guy, he bought a house in Cherry Grove a gay men's resort. A place where she would have no temptations, and where he would never be seen visiting her by any heterosexual people who might know or recognize him.

Old 07-18-2019, 06:06 AM

7,122 posts, read 9,191,080 times
We have lots of people from hot places like Arizona and Texas visiting Colorado Springs during our summers.

My mother, who lived in Phoenix used to spend her summers here with us. The kids thoroughly enjoyed her help and her cooking..

It is delightfully cool this morning.

Old 07-18-2019, 06:20 AM

New Mexico has some higher altitude areas as well. Two summers ago I stayed up in Taos/Angel Fire - but Angel Fire is somewhat isolated and required a drive down a windy road to get to civilization. NC mountains often have similar drives - mountains down to civilization (stores, restaurants, gas, etc).

Old 07-18-2019, 07:13 AM

29,775 posts, read 18,629,952 times
Quote:
My parents used to be snowbirds and escaped the cold weather of Minnesota for three months every winter in either Florida or Arizona. They told me there were 100,000 or more snowbirds in the Phoenix area every winter.

But what about Sun Birds? People who live in the Southern USA and just can't take the summer weather in places that are just so hot, humid and miserable in June, July, and August. A summer day in places like Arizona, Florida, or pretty much anywhere in the sunbelt can be just as miserable to a retired person than winter up north.

So, anyone here who escapes the summer heat every June-September and if so, where do you go?
We have friends from Texas and Phoenix that summer in Durango. Wife and I live in Washington state and snowbird in Phoenix....if our kids and grandkids weren't in Seattle and Washington state, we would probably move to Arizona and summer in Colorado.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
North isn't necessarily enough. Mountains seems to be the trick.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...us/1754689001/
When I say North, I mean further than a couple of states. Bar Harbour will have a high of 71 today. Much nicer than our forecast of 96.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:46 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,947,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
I was there for about 4-5 weeks and just returned to FL....it'll likely be my go-to place (Boone area) in future summers. I loved that 60-degree temp in the morning. I did get hit by the rains/flash floods and I understand they've continued even after I left. Not sure if all that rain is usual for the area during summer, but it was unpredictable and sometimes lasted days.
We have had record rains last and this year. Not normal at all. Also we have broken record high temperatures. (As have many other places). I would rather have rain than drought and fires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement