Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 06:30 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times

Advertisements

I spent the day travel to Emerald Bay, Lake Tahoe, a beautiful place to view from the top. Now we are at gold country, It seems like the old cowboy movies I’ve been watching, this is how the West was won. Then we got to our hotel and found out more nice places to visit next time, it’s on our to visit list. Retirement is grand so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 07:43 PM

7,334 posts, read 4,127,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
I never get tired watching my bird feeder. It's such a wonderful way to spend late afternoon happy hour outback on my deck. My dog gets to get some exercise outback chasing squirrels that are looking for their dinner.
I love watching birds and my dogs too.

Seriously, I never get tried of weeding. Then again, once I get weeding, I start to think about moving plants around. Pruning is not as much fun, but I enjoy a nicely pruned shrub.

Friends love the Cornell Master Gardeners program. They say it is a lot of work, but rewarding.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post

Seriously, I never get tried of weeding. Then again, once I get weeding, I start to think about moving plants around. Pruning is not as much fun, but I enjoy a nicely pruned shrub.

Friends love the Cornell Master Gardeners program. They say it is a lot of work, but rewarding.
Master Gardeners has been one of my most enjoyable 'retirement gigs' (I began with MG when I was age 28)

Retire early,
Retire often!

I will definitely be volunteering in more parks as I get older (nice to do stuff where others can enjoy your labors / creativity).

Old 07-18-2019, 03:41 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,916,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Birds are happy when people retire.

^^^That needs to be on a T-shirt

Doodle ---- what's that ----

I still have horses, so my interpretation of doodling generally means I am flat out, after all the barn work is done, in my Feng Shui corner, watching the birds at the feeder as I fall asleep for a "short" nap

Old 07-18-2019, 05:14 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,518,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaChris View Post
I sure do wish I could retire in 13 months - 36 years with Federal government at that time - but sticking it out until 2026 for an additional 10% in my Annuity..

Depending on ones circumstances of course, chasing that extra 10 percent may not be worth it in terms of mental and physical health and overall happiness.

Old 07-18-2019, 06:40 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,274,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Master Gardeners has been one of my most enjoyable 'retirement gigs' (I began with MG when I was age 28)

Retire early,
Retire often!

I will definitely be volunteering in more parks as I get older (nice to do stuff where others can enjoy your labors / creativity).
I have a bachelors degree in horticulture and volunteering with parks groups and other organizations is high on my list when I retire as well. My line of work will be my hobby when I no longer want to work for a paycheck.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:19 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,755,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post

Time in the garden and the kitchen can be so satisfying.

I need to restrain myself from weeding in places other than my own yard, I enjoy it too. Gardens aren’t static and moving plants around happens here. I love to prune, but don’t always now when to stop. I’m mainly planting natives now and allowing non-natives to stay, I’m no purist. I probably enjoy eradicating invasive plants way too much and take it personally when they keep coming back.

I make my own yogurt and my granddaughter helped make granola yesterday when she was here and she declared it the best ever, of course! The two together is her favorite snack or breakfast. The younger one wanted an egg-in-a-hole for breakfast and they think I can make anything. Pancakes last week went from a simple Mickey Mouse and snow man shape of three circles to a snowman wearing a hat and then a chicken. They laughed so hard, but ate them.

I love making things from scratch and just found a recipe for beautyberry jelly; a nice combo of garden and kitchen to try. Slow food and a simple life many days is what I like best.

Attachment 212813

Last edited by jean_ji; 05-13-2020 at 07:05 AM..

Old 07-18-2019, 08:30 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,274,075 times
It's funny how some of you are talking about weeding. My next door neighbor is an old gentleman in his mid 90. He has taken it upon himself to weed and make immaculate the side yard between us. The yards are clearly defined. When he was done with his side, he started on mine.
He trimmed everything up to where I was afraid some of the shrubs would die from being trimmed so severely. He spends hours every week raking every little leaf that falls on the ground much less allow any weed to even begin to grow.

I spoke with him a few weeks ago as I still work and rarely see him during the day. I mentioned to him what a great job he's doing keeping everything nice and neat in the side yard. He said that's what neighbors do for each other.
I know he must be bored and enjoys doing yard work more than anything else so I just let him go at it. If he kills something, it's not the end of the world.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:40 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
I even weed my road, weeds grow in between cracks of the road. Everything must be pristine clean near my house.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:49 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,755,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
It's funny how some of you are talking about weeding. My next door neighbor is an old gentleman in his mid 90. He has taken it upon himself to weed and make immaculate the side yard between us. The yards are clearly defined. When he was done with his side, he started on mine.
He trimmed everything up to where I was afraid some of the shrubs would die from being trimmed so severely. He spends hours every week raking every little leaf that falls on the ground much less allow any weed to even begin to grow.

I spoke with him a few weeks ago as I still work and rarely see him during the day. I mentioned to him what a great job he's doing keeping everything nice and neat in the side yard. He said that's what neighbors do for each other.
I know he must be bored and enjoys doing yard work more than anything else so I just let him go at it. If he kills something, it's not the end of the world.
Our former neighbor, a younger man, spent a lot of time on an immaculate yard. He was an FBI agent and I assumed it was his stress relief.

I worked on a mobile MRI unit years ago and my company was renting space from another’s doctor’s office. I didn’t realize there was a dispute between them over who paid for landscaping fees. I got tired of walking patients past knee high weeds and wood chucks hanging around in the weeds. I went over one afternoon when the semi wasn’t there and weeded it all in a couple of hours. No one one from the other office approached me, but they were on the phone to corporate complaining bitterly. I was reprimanded, very tongue in cheek, and asked not to do it again.

I really do have to stop myself from pulling weeds out in public places. But I am starting to see weeds in a different light with my growing love for weedy native plants.

Attachment 212815
My photo of a wild poinsettia in my garden with added quote

Last edited by jean_ji; 05-13-2020 at 07:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement