Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 12:30 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,603,080 times

Advertisements

How do you spend your time? I went grocery shopping yesterday, and found bulk USDA choice NY steaks for $4.97/lb, so this morning I am vacuum sealing them for the freezer.

While I was working in the kitchen I looked out the window. We have a bird feeding station on the rear of the house, and go through about 30 lbs. of bird seed a month, so we are feeding a lot of birds of various species. It's kind of messy next to the house, so I thought about moving it to the other side of the deck. We would be able to see the birds from more windows.

Then I started thinking about what it should look like. It would be neat to have an outdoor aviary, with perches and swings for the birds, just no cage bars. The back yard has lots of tall trees, shrubs, and a creek, and all the birds are native, so they don't need to be confined. It would be pretty to give them a place near the feeder to hang out.

Then I took a break, had a cup of coffee, posted this. Now I'm heading back to vacuum seal more steaks. That pretty much shoots the morning. This afternoon I think I'll go putter in the shop. Isn't retirement great?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 12:41 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,623,074 times
Yes retirement is wonderful. Time at last!

Old 07-17-2019, 01:40 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,567,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
How do you spend your time? I went grocery shopping yesterday, and found bulk USDA choice NY steaks for $4.97/lb, so this morning I am vacuum sealing them for the freezer.

While I was working in the kitchen I looked out the window. We have a bird feeding station on the rear of the house, and go through about 30 lbs. of bird seed a month, so we are feeding a lot of birds of various species. It's kind of messy next to the house, so I thought about moving it to the other side of the deck. We would be able to see the birds from more windows.

Then I started thinking about what it should look like. It would be neat to have an outdoor aviary, with perches and swings for the birds, just no cage bars. The back yard has lots of tall trees, shrubs, and a creek, and all the birds are native, so they don't need to be confined. It would be pretty to give them a place near the feeder to hang out.

Then I took a break, had a cup of coffee, posted this. Now I'm heading back to vacuum seal more steaks. That pretty much shoots the morning. This afternoon I think I'll go putter in the shop. Isn't retirement great?

I never get tired watching my bird feeder. Its such a wonderful way to spend late afternoon happy hour outback on my deck. My dog gets to get some exercise outback chasing squirrels that are looking for their dinner. My wife made me install one out front so she has something to watch while she works in the office during the day. I still put in my 15hrs a week but its something I enjoy to keep the body moving.

Old 07-17-2019, 02:13 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,956,206 times
So far today, I fed the birds and cleaned the feeders, strolled through the garden and plucked some weeds, walked out to the road with my husband to discuss trimming a tree out there, watched the birds and squirrels eating the seed I had put out, then we played Jeopardy on Alexa, and now we're eating lunch at the kitchen counter while husband tells me about his plans for the rest of the day.

Yes, retirement is great.

Old 07-17-2019, 02:19 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,556,566 times
Pulmonologist this morning. Trying an inhaler to see if it helps. Not expecting too much so if it doesn't help I won't be disappointed. I must say, though, that I haven't been coughing much since I used it. Might be onto something here.

Researching new phones. We are way overdue. Samsung S10e and S10+ are looking good and Best Buy has a great sale on both. Also considering holding off until the first of August when a new Samsung is due. A90 I think it is.

Used a brad (tiny nail) to open the holes in the windshield wipers on the Clarity. Didn't work so well the other day. Seem fine now.

Other than that just taking it easy.

Old 07-17-2019, 04:02 PM

8,716 posts, read 4,970,916 times
Birds are happy when people retire.

Old 07-17-2019, 04:14 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,805,866 times
Retirement Doodling

Old 07-17-2019, 04:20 PM

2,309 posts, read 598,649 times
I sure do wish I could retire in 13 months - 36 years with Federal government at that time - but sticking it out until 2026 for an additional 10% in my Annuity. And hopefully one more promotion between now and then.

I want bird feeders, Trees, Bushes and a chicken coop in retirement - and want to take a Masters Gardner class then too.

Old 07-17-2019, 06:07 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,556,566 times
My wife was in for 38 years. Promotion, raise, etc kept longer than she might have. And she went out on a high note. Nice if it can be done.

My mother never bothered with the certification process, but she was a master gardener. The knowledge she carried around and the gardens she grew. Amazing. And it got me into it. Something that kept me sane for a while when I needed it.

Old 07-17-2019, 06:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,640 posts, read 57,683,287 times
Organ Recitals.... Oh my aching liver, kidney, stomach, heart!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement