Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 06:16 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
you can be overweight and eat healthy,especially if you are older, or cant exercise enough to lose weight ,so not sure what your point is..
Plus, for all you Kale fanatics and dark green leafy fans, here's a warning for you...too much dark green leafy spinach/kale/ whatever can lead to kidney stone formation; I know this first hand, as several years ago, when I ate alot of those green leafy veggies, I developed a really nasty kidney stone, and, my doctors first question after the stone passed and he had it analyzed, was how much kale/spinach etc I was eating..turns out that the kale/spinach combo, along with some other things I was eating, caused a calcium oxalate kidney stone problem...I stopped eating kale, and spinach regularly, and, in addition to adding vitamin B and magnesium to my diet, I have been stone free for over 5 years now..
As a gardener, I know this, I used to eat a lot of beet root leaves and Swiss chards. I don’t anymore because it interferes with calcium absorption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 06:20 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I've had floaters for maybe 20 yrs and less today than ever. I have no cataracts and eyes are in GOOD shape. For eye health I take:

Vit C
Grape Seed Extract
Lutein
Crystalline Eye Drops (Homeopathic for cataract prevention)
Simalasan eye drops for Dry Eyes

And wear sun glasses outside Always.

Love being my own doctor.

PS: I was told cataracts were coming and that was 20 yrs ago and guess what, no "cats"....I'm good.
I eat a lot turkey for lutein.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:37 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,314,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralvr View Post
I’ve taken vitamins most of my life. Take multi and extra D. (Per drs recommendation). Take Areds for my eyes (have eye issues) and noticed floaters disappeared. Also a probiotic. On no medications.

I was just buying the cheap store brand and recently did some research and am buying a better brand.

I don’t eat a perfect diet so I feel better knowing I’m getting some needed nutrients.
Same here, multiple vision issues and recommended by my eye doctor as well. I take the Bausch + Lomb PreserVision.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:45 PM

2,342 posts, read 613,926 times
My Dr told me to start Vit B12 or B-Complex - which is what I started. I added A and E for my eyes. But also just started Womens 1 a Day that adds the vitamins A and E and Copper and the other thing for Areds, so I am stopping the A and E. I believe after 2 days of the 1 a Day vitamin my floater is almost gone. Thank you Lord.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:52 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I was told by my doctor that I should take vitamins. What about natural vitamins?

News, Are vitamins a waste of money? A new study says yes.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/are-...231521620.html
I think most people should probably take a horse pill sized multi-vitamin, to ensure they get the trace vitamins and minerals that may be lacking in their diets. Especially women, since it's pert near impossible to get all vitamins & minerals from food because women eat fewer calories.

After that, annual blood work should show deficiencies, which should be addressed with supplements. They CAN fill those deficiencies. Per dr orders, I take Vitamin D supplements for a Vit D deficiency. It does help.

Taking vitamins and minerals, if you get all you need from diet, probably doesn't do any good. But it does help fill in the gaps, esp for those trace minerals and vitamins that are not in common foods that a person eats. If you stay away from the odd stuff, or mega-doses, they are probably safe, though.

They do do something. I've noticed for years that taking a good multi-vitamin makes my hair grow faster. That's not what I'm trying to do. I've just noticed it.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:29 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Blood tests should identify vitamin deficiencies if your doctor asks for the right tests. Even then, he needs to be sensitive to trending borderline levels, not just the bold-print deficiencies.

A doctor who is read up on supplements makes a difference here. My doctor happens to do mixed martial arts as a pastime, which probably leads him to closely monitor such things. He's prescribed some vitamin supplements for me, and he has specific recommendations for OTC brands.

While it's possible to gain the correct vitamins strictly through diet, it would also take four or five thousand calories a day to do it. And our food sources are not necessarily the most naturally nutritious or prepared properly to maintain nutrition.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:30 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I heard a plumber say one time that most vitamin tablets end up in the sewage system undigested. I don’t know if it’s true or not, but I haven’t taken vitamins since. Maybe the liquid ones would be better.

Less of a problem when taken with meals. Many vitamins function to put the nutrients of food to optimum use.

Old 07-23-2019, 05:05 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
I have been diagnosed with a sleep disorder and am awaiting the sleep study to confirm and possible C-Pap machine treatment. In the interim I have been getting little restful sleep and enduring terrible daytime sleepiness which impacts work and more frighteningly, driving my car. I tried some natural sleep medications which helped a little but not to the point where quality of life was restored. One day last week on a whim and out of frustration I stopped by the little independent health food store in town my family has used for years. The women who own the store are very knowledgeable about vitamins/minerals and homeopathics as well as what works with what, and when. I told them my predicament and one asked me if I was taking prescribed medication. I responded I was taking blood pressure medication and a proton pump inhibitor for acid reflux. BINGO! The meds I have been taking are well-documented to reduce the B vitamin balance in your system which is well established as an issue for sleep deprivation. I started taking a B-Complex and separate B-12 tablet the following day and by that night started sleeping almost entirely through the night, waking up feeling refreshed with minimal daytime sleepiness for nearly a week now. In other words a very long winded response to are vitamins a necessity after age 50? You betcha!!!

Old 07-28-2019, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 251 times
Default Vitamins

I have found many benefits from certain vitamins I have had an awful ice addiction especially crushed after taking a women’s vitamins I don’t have the craving🤷🏽*♀️

Old 07-28-2019, 11:22 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitabunny View Post
I have found many benefits from certain vitamins I have had an awful ice addiction especially crushed after taking a women’s vitamins I don’t have the craving🤷🏽*♀️
The ice issue is a deficiency and I think zinc but you could do a search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement