Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2019, 08:02 AM

1,978 posts, read 1,552,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Eat less, stop eating out. Most of us could stand to lose some weight. Cut alcohol consumption.
In 4 years my checking account has increased by $20,000.00 due to cutting out alcohol. Also, recently we decided to try Taco Bell for our weekly shopping trip. Our bill was $3.80 yesterday. Love it! I am a tightwad deluxe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 08:33 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,009,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyroad70 View Post
In 4 years my checking account has increased by $20,000.00 due to cutting out alcohol. Also, recently we decided to try Taco Bell for our weekly shopping trip. Our bill was $3.80 yesterday. Love it! I am a tightwad deluxe.

Went to Dave Matthews Band concert last night. I had the absolute cheapest ticket and it was $45/bring your chair and sit out on the lawn behind the main venue up on a hill. Can't imagine the prices to sit in the regular seats.

Anyway, your comment about alcohol reminded me of what I was seeing last night. People were buying 25 oz beers for $18 each. The vendors were very very busy. The couple next to me had about 4-6 of those things. Normally tipping the vendor a couple of bucks, too. I swear they spent $100+ between them just on beer for a 3 hr concert.

The economy must be booming w/ all these 30-somethings buying expensive concert tix and beer. I did wonder how many of them had car payments or set aside anything for their retirement plans/IRAs.

I'm still relatively young, but as I was leaving I was thinking these concerts will be soon ending for me as the inflated prices has gotten to me.

No doubt I can afford it, but I've become the oldtimer I used to see complain over a $1 coke when he was used to paying 25 cents (or less). That's okay. I've seen more than my shares of concerts over the years and the scene isn't for me much anymore.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:33 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
We buy cereal on Amazon...Raisin Bran. #96 1.25 ounce containers for right around $39. We keep 5 or 6 in the freezer all the time. Just peel off the foil on top and pour in the milk. It stays cold too.
Ugh. Packaged individual servings- a pet peeve of mine. That's 96 little plastic containers to throw out. How about buying a giant box and putting individual servings in 5 or 6 small Tupperware (or similar) containers in the freezer?

Even though I live alone I avoid individual packs if I can. I have a kitchen scale and measuring cups so it's easy to parcel out individual servings.

I see so much of this at Costco, although people tell me that the individual packages are popular with athletic booster organizations and other fund-raising events, where they can be sold to attendees at a profit.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:40 AM

4,186 posts, read 3,400,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I don't think I'd call people who do that "victims". They make their own choices to live that way, no one is twisting their arms to do so.
Except the advertisers.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:55 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyroad70 View Post
I'm trying to understand this.

You were spending $5k a year (about $417 a month) on alcohol and you just stopped? Don't get me wrong, that's a real achievement and I applaud it.

The reason I ask is that my father was an alcoholic. I have always assumed I don't have the genetics for alcohol addiction because I rarely drink. But we are going to more social occasions these days, mainly Meetups centered around happy hour. This year I've consumed as much alcohol as I did in the previous five years. That's not the problem. The problem is that I sometimes crave a drink now, while I never did before. I am learning to associate alcohol with feeling good and being cheerful.

The answer, of course, is to figure out a non-alcoholic yet satisfying beverage, because I like the Meetups and want to continue going.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:33 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,928,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Ugh. Packaged individual servings- a pet peeve of mine. That's 96 little plastic containers to throw out. How about buying a giant box and putting individual servings in 5 or 6 small Tupperware (or similar) containers in the freezer?
You could do that, but here's why I like the individuals. In a big box all the raisins seem to be in the bottom with that layer of the bran crumbs nobody wants to eat. The individuals have plenty of raisins and hardly any crumbs. No dishes to wash either.

Old 07-25-2019, 11:31 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,009,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I'm trying to understand this.

You were spending $5k a year (about $417 a month) on alcohol and you just stopped? Don't get me wrong, that's a real achievement and I applaud it.

The reason I ask is that my father was an alcoholic. I have always assumed I don't have the genetics for alcohol addiction because I rarely drink. But we are going to more social occasions these days, mainly Meetups centered around happy hour. This year I've consumed as much alcohol as I did in the previous five years. That's not the problem. The problem is that I sometimes crave a drink now, while I never did before. I am learning to associate alcohol with feeling good and being cheerful.

The answer, of course, is to figure out a non-alcoholic yet satisfying beverage, because I like the Meetups and want to continue going.
I'm assuming that has something to do with going out to bars/restaurants and indulging ---when you eliminate alcohol from the picture, maybe those other side expenses also go down (no bar tabs, eating out, etc).

Old 07-25-2019, 11:58 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,608,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
Went to Dave Matthews Band concert last night. I had the absolute cheapest ticket and it was $45/bring your chair and sit out on the lawn ...
I'm still relatively young, but as I was leaving I was thinking these concerts will be soon ending for me as the inflated prices has gotten to me.

No doubt I can afford it, but I've become the oldtimer I used to see complain over a $1 coke when he was used to paying 25 cents (or less). That's okay. I've seen more than my shares of concerts over the years and the scene isn't for me much anymore.
I can second this somewhat, even as a pretty avid music lover & former concert fan. 10+ years ago, while I was still working, the big names from the 60/70s starting pricing tickets here at $100+. Clapton, Winwood, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac... it would be nice to see any of them now but I'm not going to spend $150 to sit up in the nosebleed areas of Madison Sq Garden or the like.

I did make an exception about 10 years ago to see a Paul Simon/Bob Dylan concert, I had never seen Dylan & knew Simon had a terrific show - it was worth it. Now I just see the "second level" acts maybe 2 times a year: Emmylou, Fogerty - I saw CSN a couple of years ago in a medium size theatre for the first time & it looks now like that was their final tour.

I also stopped with the cheaper "festivals" like Jazzfest since most of the attendees are there to socialize & party, "YEEHAWWW!!!!"....not listen to the music. But I have relented & do go see some of the 60's bands that have 1-2 original members now, usually the drummer, because I know it's the only time I will ever hear an hour of that music played live again... not a lot of survivors still touring from that era & it's a cheap show usually to get on topic.

Some of those who never became stars or wasted on substances, their concerts are very reasonable are dynamite performers: Arlo, Nick Lowe, Richard Thompson, Colin Hay, etc...

Old 07-25-2019, 12:25 PM

2,102 posts, read 1,004,123 times
Don't invite sponging losers (incl. children, girlfriends, relatives, etc) to live with you and help get them 'back on their feet'.

They will only abuse your generosity, and suck you dry, emotionally and financially.

Old 07-25-2019, 12:59 PM

2,102 posts, read 1,004,123 times
How about waiting in line for an over-priced Starbucks coffee? Take $4-$5 a day, plus the gas you are wasting, and it comes to about $700 a year! Or $17,500 over 25 years!

I buy a bag of Pilon coffee (Publix BOGO), and it lasts me 2 months! That's about $0.05 for a cup of great coffee!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement