Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 09:23 AM

115 posts, read 60,254 times

Advertisements

My husband and I spend our winters in Thailand in a rented house and have done so for the past 5 years.

And instead of doing a 2 week visit to see my family in the US, we stay for a month.

Anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 09:39 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
I think a lot more practice at retirement is needed before we do extended trips. DH still doesn't "get" that occasionally I need time for myself. Even a one month trip is a recipe for homicide at this point.

Do you stay in Chiang Mai when you're in Thailand? I've seen way too many Elephant Nature Park videos. Some day I've got to visit that place.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:47 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
4 months is the max we’ve done, but not in the same place. We moved around.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I think a lot more practice at retirement is needed before we do extended trips. DH still doesn't "get" that occasionally I need time for myself. Even a one month trip is a recipe for homicide at this point.

Do you stay in Chiang Mai when you're in Thailand? I've seen way too many Elephant Nature Park videos. Some day I've got to visit that place.
We discovered Koh Samui when we went to a family wedding in 2014 and liked it. So we looked around for a quiet area to rent a house for an extended visit. Samui is a touristy island and has lots of resort areas, but our rental house is in a pretty garden community. So we go every year and stay in he same house and even rent the same car. We know where to eat to get authentic Thai food. Where to get massages. Where to shop. Where to snorkel.

I'd never do one of those elephant rides. The elephants hate it. One of them killed a tourist a couple of years ago as they were taunting it.

As for solo trips, I sometimes do those but all are 'local' - within the UK. And I go to places my husband has no interest in seeing, but I do.

Old 07-20-2019, 10:12 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
We used to snow bird but no longer. We take trips anywhere from two to six weeks, sometimes together sometimes not. I just spent a month in Africa but DW didn't come along. We are about to spend a month on the mainland US (we live in Hawaii) although DW will stay a couple weeks longer than me to visit some friends. Next year we will spend 3 weeks in Spain and Portugal and then I am going back to Africa and DW will probably return home (she has bad back and Africa travel is very primitive, rough roads that would kill her back). Or maybe she will stay in Europe and I will meet up with her on my way back.

Old 07-20-2019, 10:19 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandGranny View Post
We discovered Koh Samui when we went to a family wedding in 2014 and liked it. So we looked around for a quiet area to rent a house for an extended visit.
My wife and I were in Koh Samui last year. We enjoyed it very much. It was part of a month-long trip to Southeast Asia that included visits to Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, Taiwan, and Hong Kong. We're flying back to Singapore next February for the beginning of a five-week visit, which will include a 20-day cruise with stops in Kuala Lampur and Langkawi, Malaysia; Phuket, Thailand; Sabang, Indonesia;, Male in the Maldives; Port Victoria in the Seychelle Islands; Muscat, Oman; Khasab, Oman; Abu Dhabi, UAE; and Dubai. We're then planning to spend a week in Dubai.

We usually take extended trips, but unlike you, don't usually stay in one place too long. However, that will change somewhat in the coming year (not counting the trip to Asia), as we've just gotten involved with home exchanges. We've already finalized trips to Ireland in Sept./Oct.; Copenhagen for 2+ weeks at Christmas; and we're working on trips to Madrid for a month next Summer and then on to Florence, Italy, for 3 weeks after that. We've also finalized an exchange with a Canadian couple who will be coming to our condo in January, but we haven't decided yet on our dates to stay in their place in Montreal.

We've always enjoyed traveling, and being able to take extended trips without regard to work or vacation schedules was the #1 reason that we both retired a decade ago at the age of 54.

Old 07-20-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
4 months is the max we’ve done, but not in the same place. We moved around.
We do 3 in Thailand but stay in the same house, although we might spend a night or two on another island. We are considering making it 4 months.

Old 07-20-2019, 10:23 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,696,468 times
Split up our vacation with a week in Florida and a week in mexico. I'd like to do Vegas for a week in October, but I'm retired not the wife LoL.

Old 07-20-2019, 10:25 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandGranny View Post
I'd never do one of those elephant rides. The elephants hate it. One of them killed a tourist a couple of years ago as they were taunting it.

Oh, I wouldn't either.

ENP is an elephant sanctuary. They buy elephants from people who use (and abuse) them, then set them free to live out their lives as elephants.

Old 07-20-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
My wife and I were in Koh Samui last year. We enjoyed it very much. It was part of a month-long trip to Southeast Asia that included visits to Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, Taiwan, and Hong Kong. We're flying back to Singapore next February for the beginning of a five-week visit, which will include a 20-day cruise with stops in Kuala Lampur and Langkawi, Malaysia; Phuket, Thailand; Sabang, Indonesia;, Male in the Maldives; Port Victoria in the Seychelle Islands; Muscat, Oman; Khasab, Oman; Abu Dhabi, UAE; and Dubai. We're then planning to spend a week in Dubai.

We usually take extended trips, but unlike you, don't usually stay in one place too long. However, that will change somewhat in the coming year (not counting the trip to Asia), as we've just gotten involved with home exchanges. We've already finalized trips to Ireland in Sept./Oct.; Copenhagen for 2+ weeks at Christmas; and we're working on trips to Madrid for a month next Summer and then on to Florence, Italy, for 3 weeks after that. We've also finalized an exchange with a Canadian couple who will be coming to our condo in January, but we haven't decided yet on our dates to stay in their place in Montreal.

We've always enjoyed traveling, and being able to take extended trips without regard to work or vacation schedules was the #1 reason that we both retired a decade ago at the age of 54.
We've done a lot of travel already - Australia, various countries in Europe, 2 years in Uganda. So we enjoy just relaxing during the winter now. It's exhausting to keep going from hotel to hotel and living out of a suitcase. Our Thailand home feels like our own home.

Winter where we live is cold but not usually freezing, so hardly ever snows. But it's cold rain, high winds, and very short daylight.

We both retired at 55.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement