Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 08:31 PM

558 posts, read 338,221 times

Advertisements

When I was working the vacation experience was:

1) Friday 5 PM, race to airport
2) A week of non-stop we need to do this, eat here, see that, go there
3) Sunday, 10PM, walk in the door and face plant on the carpet from exhaustion
4) Monday, 5AM, the traffic and weather guys start talking
5) That was relaxing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 08:42 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
We didn't go last year, and IF we are lucky this year, will be a simple weekender.

Money set aside for vacation was used elsewhere.

This year we dont know yet.

Old 07-20-2019, 08:55 PM

130,273 posts, read 12,099,804 times
Yes we do. Next year we are going to Ireland, but I do not count it as 100% vacation, as a family member is getting married there.
I do plan on doing a South of France river cruise sometime within the next 5 years, & also an African safari.

eta: My sister came to visit a few months ago, so we were constantly doing day trips & one overnight. It was a ton of fun & a good vacation for us too. If you live in a touristy area, day trips are great mini vacays.

Last edited by evening sun; 07-20-2019 at 09:21 PM..

Old 07-20-2019, 09:01 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
Yes, at least 2-3 times a year.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:05 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
We live in vacation land. So we will do a day trip to Yosemite or two nights at Lake Tahoe.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:06 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
I went on a permanent vacation a little over five years ago. It's called retirement.

But we do also travel.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:07 PM

3,299 posts, read 3,025,823 times
Nope. The last few vacations we took, I would look out at whatever view there was and think, "It's better at our house." I never thought I'd be this way, but I just don't have the desire to do what feels more like work than fun anymore. And given the utter torment that is air travel these days, it's not worth it to me.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:18 PM

558 posts, read 338,221 times
Going on an in-state vacation trip this summer. Have a color-coded Excel with hotels in red, rental cars in blue. Confirm number and phone numbers. Not quite planning a moon landing, but up there.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:27 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,080,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPeople View Post
When I was working the vacation experience was:

1) Friday 5 PM, race to airport
2) A week of non-stop we need to do this, eat here, see that, go there
3) Sunday, 10PM, walk in the door and face plant on the carpet from exhaustion
4) Monday, 5AM, the traffic and weather guys start talking
5) That was relaxing

I am still working and have 5 weeks of annual paid vacation so my vacations usually go like this:

1) Have Friday off from work to attend to last minute things. Head to the airport in plenty of time to
avoid rush hour traffic.
2) Board the plane in upgraded comfortable seats for the 6 hour flight to Paris. That is followed by a
two hour connecting flight to Barcelona with plenty of time to catch it.
3) Arrive in Barcelona and take a taxi to our nice hotel located on the Las Ramblas, settle in, then
head to a nice restaurant for some tapas and entertainment.
4) Day 2 do some leisure sightseeing, lunch, dinner, and back to the hotel.
5) Day 3 take a taxi to our ship, quick check-in, and then head to our very nice balcony cabin, settle in,
have a wonderful dinner, maybe some entertainment following, then head to bed.
6) Day 4 is usually a sea day filled with lots of relaxing time in the spa, reading, napping, eating, etc.
7) The rest of our cruise is visiting beautiful ports
8) The last cruise day is usually a sea day which is a repeat of Day 4
9) Disembark from our cruise, head to the airport, and do day 1 in reverse
10) Return home and have another week off to recoup from our wonderful cruise before returning to
work refreshed with lots of wonderful travel experiences to share with coworkers

Looking forward to our next cruise in February which I think is # 15, and hopefully more cruises and other vacations will continue when I retire in a few years.

Old 07-20-2019, 10:08 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,383,535 times
I've been to Utah and Colorado four times this year for music festivals and to visit National Parks plus some short trips to Santa Fe and Taos. Finished making reservations today for a trip the end of July. Now retired, I can take my time sightseeing and go at a leisurely pace. Definitely want to go places from late August through October when the colleges and public schools are back in session and destinations are not so crowded. I have not made it to Europe yet but plan to get there eventually.

When I was working, I gave up on planned vacations. It was too stressful because I did not have enough time and had to get all my work projects done before I left and then catch up again after I returned. But my job involved occasional travel to conferences and training courses, so I was able to stay the weekend and take Monday/Tuesday off and see some fun cities (e.g., Chicago, Charleston). More like mini-vacations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement