Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2019, 07:27 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,554,147 times

Advertisements

It just started recently, came on sort of like a snake in the night and then flared up pretty harshly, my hands began peeling, I mean big time. One of my feet is peeling bad and since the skin is thick, it is awful ugly. Red spots on my arms that seem to dry up and fade as time passes. Sort of an itch, I find myself scratching and picking and don't even know it. Went to Dermatologist, she said atopic derm and said to take this steroid. What a life. Any wisdom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 07:29 PM

1,210 posts, read 889,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyroad70 View Post
.... she said atopic derm and said to take this steroid. What a life.
And???
Do you have to take a steriod the rest of your life?
Will it be expensive?
Does it hurt to take it?

Old 07-29-2019, 08:50 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,554,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
And???
Will it be expensive?
Does it hurt to take it?
I hope not. I have been on it about two weeks. I think it is clearing up some. It is a cream and not painful. It is not expensive this year. I actually had my first episode about a year and a half ago. It went away then came back. Somewhat differently. I need to be very careful and use a somewhat expensive moisterizer every day and actually more than once a day. I am a thin skinned person and for the last few years I have dry skin. I can probably expect flares and remissions the rest of my life. It could be worse.

Old 07-29-2019, 09:16 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,773,199 times
OP: Do you take Omega 3's, and you can do a search on Coconut Oil and your issue. Both these oils are valuable as I see them, CO too to reduce chances of dementia.

Also, any changes in soaps, detergents,etc.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 07-29-2019 at 09:47 PM..

Old 07-29-2019, 11:32 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
And???
Will it be expensive?
Does it hurt to take it?
there are a lot of different types of eczema, I've had it for about 10 years, it comes and goes. I use CeraVe cream (available over the counter) it provides the best relief from itching than anything I've ever been prescribed. The doctor describes what I have as xerotic annular eczematous plaques. I don't have them all the time, but when I get them they are bilateral, on the outside of both lower arms and lower legs and the itching is maddening. I was prescribed Kenalog and a bunch of antihistamines for it, the kenalog did nothing and the antihistamines made me feel like a zombie, I could hardly stay awake.

Old 07-30-2019, 07:38 AM

7,364 posts, read 4,149,677 times
My son had terrible eczema as a child. We tried all types of creams and steroids.

You are in luck, because what really helped, was sunlight. He tanned well and the darker the tan the less eczema over the winter. It must have something to do with drying out the skin or increasing Vit D. Whatever, it worked.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:27 AM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyroad70 View Post
It just started recently, came on sort of like a snake in the night and then flared up pretty harshly, my hands began peeling, I mean big time. One of my feet is peeling bad and since the skin is thick, it is awful ugly. Red spots on my arms that seem to dry up and fade as time passes. Sort of an itch, I find myself scratching and picking and don't even know it. Went to Dermatologist, she said atopic derm and said to take this steroid. What a life. Any wisdom?
I ended up with something similar and it kept getting worse. It was my detergent. I switched to Seventh Generation, within weeks it cleared up.

I’m wondering if your hand soap changed or if your dish soap changed? One recommendation? Keep a log. It’s difficult to remember when you make the change, unless you write it in a journal or calendar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement