Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 11:30 AM

1,801 posts, read 1,231,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I agree. I'm animal-friendly but never owned pets. A friend on FB is posting about her doggie, who chewed up part of a rug and the ultrasound shows that it's wound all through her intestines. Surgery will cost $6-$8,000. I know at one point my friend was struggling to get money for major dental work- she's a professional public speaker so she needs to be able to speak clearly. I suspect they'll end up doing whatever they need to let the dog die peacefully.
I volunteer for a dog rescue. We used to kind of evaluate whether a potential adopter could, and would, provide necessary vet care. We no longer do that because essentially, it has become a luxury most cannot afford.

Of course, the animals are the losers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 11:35 AM

11,022 posts, read 6,574,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I just paid $1600 for one.
OUCH. Crowns are $400 here. Good thing too. After an adult life of no cavities, I suddenly developed 16, LOL. Didn't break the bank here. Too much citrus, I guess.

Seems we all have a retirement dental story, LOL.

Old 07-28-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I live in a high COL area (despite, or maybe because of, being out in the boonies of southwestern New Hampshire) but I found a great handyman company that charges just $45/hour for labor ($30/hour for their apprentice). They do fantastic work; they've worked on various projects around my house including a complete kitchen remodel (with load-bearing wall removal). I know I got lucky, but it IS possible with some searching. (I found them on HomeAdvisor, IIRC.)

I would HATE renting instead of owning, and I would HATE to have no pets. For me, that would be a pretty awful life. I am pretty much a homebody so my home and my animals (and friends of course!) make me very happy; I would MUCH rather spend money on them than on just about anything else. Everyone's priorities are different, of course.
I’m from the monadnock area, so I know how expensive labor is. You really have to “know someone” . I agree about pets and owning....I own and have 2 older dogs. But the reality is that most big expenses generally fall into home repairs, car repairs, pet repairs, or self repairs (medical). It’s all about not needing labor.

Old 07-28-2019, 11:59 AM

266 posts, read 243,986 times
Not retired yet as we are a ways away but I have enjoyed reading the responses! I know how expensive dental work can be as I have spent $800 this year AFTER 2 insurances but you have reminded me why we need to start maxing our HSA contributions.

Old 07-28-2019, 12:41 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,248,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
I volunteer for a dog rescue. We used to kind of evaluate whether a potential adopter could, and would, provide necessary vet care. We no longer do that because essentially, it has become a luxury most cannot afford.

Of course, the animals are the losers.
My friend just started a GoFundMe. The goal is $6K and so far they've raised $125. I'm not a pet person so maybe I don't understand what it's like when an animal is part of the family but unless you have a bottomless budget, I think there comes a time when you choose not to put an animal through dialysis, major surgery, chemotherapy, etc. I don't blame the vets- they have an expensive education and I have no idea how you extract multiple bits of yarn from the entire length of a dog's colon without perforating it- but I think sometimes you need to say "no" to extraordinary measures, especially if you need a GoFundMe to pay for them.

Old 07-28-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
My friend just started a GoFundMe. The goal is $6K and so far they've raised $125. I'm not a pet person so maybe I don't understand what it's like when an animal is part of the family but unless you have a bottomless budget, I think there comes a time when you choose not to put an animal through dialysis, major surgery, chemotherapy, etc. I don't blame the vets- they have an expensive education and I have no idea how you extract multiple bits of yarn from the entire length of a dog's colon without perforating it- but I think sometimes you need to say "no" to extraordinary measures, especially if you need a GoFundMe to pay for them.
This situation is very common with animals. I had a friend whose Doberman used to swallow anything whole. How he never choked to death is beyond me, but by the third time he was facing surgery, my friend decided “enough”. I’ve been fortunate to never have a dog that would eat anything in sight.

Old 07-28-2019, 01:48 PM

10,035 posts, read 17,981,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
I’m from the monadnock area, so I know how expensive labor is. You really have to “know someone” . I agree about pets and owning....I own and have 2 older dogs. But the reality is that most big expenses generally fall into home repairs, car repairs, pet repairs, or self repairs (medical). It’s all about not needing labor.
Actually, I didn't know anyone -- I found the handyman company on HomeAdvisor (found others on there too that were outrageously expensive -- didn't use those!). The company is located in Vermont but the owner lives in New Hampshire and passes through Keene on his way to work every day (I live just outside of Keene). They don't do heavy-duty electrical or plumbing, but they do just about everything else. I will have them back this fall for more projects around my house (including building a front porch) and have been recommending them to everyone I know!

Quote:
Athena, that is so incredibly sad. I feel very bad for both your friend and her dog.

Old 07-28-2019, 01:51 PM

6,941 posts, read 4,402,493 times
I think age comes into making the decision. I am not going to treat for cancer if the dog is old. We had open heart surgery 15 years ago on a puppy that we had for only 2 weeks. It was 15 years ago, cost 4K and she died a week ago. At one point we had 4 old dogs and medication alone was 400/month. Part of owning a pet is vet bills.

Old 07-28-2019, 02:10 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,434,645 times
Been through the cancer treatment for a 10 year old golden. Won’t do that again.

Pet insurance sucks.

After spending over 23 years as a renter, home ownership feels way more secure. We have owned for over 25 years. I so much rather being the one who decides when to do repairs and how much I will pay to have them done - or do them ourselves.

Old 07-28-2019, 05:23 PM

6,941 posts, read 4,402,493 times
We use Healthy Paws and they pay within 10 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement