Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 09:37 AM

23 posts, read 19,992 times

Advertisements

I have decided that I would like to retire in 10 years. I contribute to my 401k and Roth IRA's and also live within my means. What else should I be doing now with 10 years left? I am in CT and just not crazy about FL, which is where most family and friends have retired. I think I like VA but which areas would be affordable for retirement? What other cities/states to consider on the eastern seaboard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 09:40 AM

1,210 posts, read 888,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetnh View Post
I have decided that I would like to retire in 10 years. I contribute to my 401k and Roth IRA's and also live within my means. What else should I be doing now with 10 years left? I am in CT and just not crazy about FL, which is where most family and friends have retired. I think I like VA but which areas would be affordable for retirement? What other cities/states to consider on the eastern seaboard?
Ask us in nine years. A lot can change.
How is your health and what is its trajectory?
Where are your kids?
Where does your spouse want to retire?
Where did ten years come from? Is there a analytical reason for it?
Is it really worth it to spend 8%-10% of the price of your current house to move?

Old 07-28-2019, 09:42 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,528 times
Quote:
South Carolina can be good financially for retirement if you don’t mind the heat. It is also within reasonable driving distance to Florida to visit your retired family and friends.

Old 07-28-2019, 09:43 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,232,807 times
I'd start keeping track of your actual expenditures so that you can establish a budget and know how much you are spending on what which makes up your 'lifestyle'.

Old 07-28-2019, 09:46 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,531 times
Plan for tomorrow, live for today. Don’t forget to enjoy yourself along the way to retirement. You don’t have to blow the budget, learn to appreciate the small blessings.

You also have to get to retirement first. If your health if fair-to-middling, work on it like you’re working on the financial side.

Old 07-28-2019, 09:59 AM

23 posts, read 19,992 times
Thank you for the great tips!

In response to the questions:

My health is very good and I work to maintain that way. The ten years was based on the age of the youngest child who will be finished with college in that time frame. My spouse wants to stay on the east coast as well. The two reasons we consider leaving CT are the weather and the costs because property and other taxes continue to rise. We could however be snow birds but I would have to do more research to determine how it would work out.

Old 07-28-2019, 10:01 AM

515 posts, read 360,226 times
Quote:

Get out your 401k plan and read it cover to cover. Really get in the weeds, and see if you are exploiting it to the max. It is the best thing you can do. If you can contribute more, even if the company match is at the limit, do so. It is tax sheltered money, it will lower our taxable income. Push it all the way, so that your last 10 years count.

Old 07-28-2019, 10:02 AM

344 posts, read 416,878 times
Learn all you can about taxes and rmd (if applicable). There are so many nuances and there are lots of things you can do better gradually over time to set yourself up. Make sure your happy with your investments and get rid of what you don’t want. There are a lot of straight jackets you can find yourself in regarding income limits once you stop working (and don’t have employer insurance, if that applies).

Old 07-28-2019, 10:10 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
I’m glad your health is excellent, OP. A lot can change in ten years, though, which makes planning difficult.

I started planning at age 57 and swore our next house would be two stories. Guess where we live now: one story rambling house with a separate guest house. Stairs are too painful now. I also thought we’d be in Prescott AZ for the cooler weather. Nope, we ended up in Scottsdale. I think the high for today is 109.

Old 07-28-2019, 10:19 AM

130 posts, read 74,881 times
WORK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement