Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2019, 11:57 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I eat a lot of fish. At least 8-10 servings per week. So I go there, get the freshest fish I can get, go home and immediately prep them and cut in small portions and put them in freezer. So I have a whole freezer full of smaller portions to be taken out and grilled. They all been marinated and such. The frozen fish at Costco is too salty for me. I need to wash my salt in take.
So Costco has FRESH fish as well? I didn't know that. I always thought of Costco as a place where you buy huge packages of toilet paper and paper towels and cases of tuna, not fresh fish, although I hear people rave about their cakes all the time, so I know they sell food other than packaged. I should check it out. I've never had reason to go there.

Very interesting. I eat a lot of fish also. I live near the ocean, so fresh fish is available, but I can get it at the supermarket five minutes away. In my other place, I am far from the ocean, but there is fresh-water fish to be had.

Old 08-04-2019, 12:12 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,158,170 times
It appears as though you can buy frozen fish at Costco online. I wonder if they charge extra shipping for keeping it frozen?

I went to see if they were offering curbside deliveries yet, but it doesn't appear so. I had such a bad experience in there years ago that it gives me anxiety even thinking about going back in, but if they offered curbside I'd consider it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 12:22 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
So Costco has FRESH fish as well? I didn't know that. I always thought of Costco as a place where you buy huge packages of toilet paper and paper towels and cases of tuna, not fresh fish, although I hear people rave about their cakes all the time, so I know they sell food other than packaged. I should check it out. I've never had reason to go there.

Very interesting. I eat a lot of fish also. I live near the ocean, so fresh fish is available, but I can get it at the supermarket five minutes away. In my other place, I am far from the ocean, but there is fresh-water fish to be had.
I shop at Sprouts also, but they have previously frozen salmon that don’t look at good as Costco. My local Costco has fresh halibut, I can get Ling Cod from New Zealand, and trout, they are too bony for me. But I might vary it and try them again. They also sell other types of seafood like lobster and scallop too. I don’t buy them there but they have it there.
But what I notice about fish and seafood in general, you need to prep them right away otherwise they have a distinctive smell and it could be off putting. This maybe a reason people don’t eat fish as much.

Old 08-04-2019, 12:33 PM

705 posts, read 562,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
For a retired couple, how much do you spend on food and alcohol each month, excluding eating out? We are struggling to stay within $700 per month, which seems like a lot, although we often host friends and family. Just curious what others are spending. Thanks!
Food prices have gotten ridiculous IMO.

My husband and I generally have oatmeal for breakfast with coffee for him, tea for me. About once a week we'll have an egg and toast or fruit. We eat our supper early (around 2 pm) so it's a combo of lunch and dinner. We buy fresh fruits and veggies and local seafood and very little meat and still spend at least 800.00 a month.

Old 08-04-2019, 12:33 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I shop at Sprouts also, but they have previously frozen salmon that don’t look at good as Costco. My local Costco has fresh halibut, I can get Ling Cod from New Zealand, and trout, they are too bony for me. But I might vary it and try them again. They also sell other types of seafood like lobster and scallop too. I don’t buy them there but they have it there.
But what I notice about fish and seafood in general, you need to prep them right away otherwise they have a distinctive smell and it could be off putting. This maybe a reason people don’t eat fish as much.
There is definitely a huge difference between fresh fish and not-so-fresh fish. Fish shouldn't smell fishy at all.

When my dd was a teenager, she went fishing for flounder with her bf and his father. She didn't like fish, but she came home with some flounder that had been filleted and then individually wrapped and placed on ice right there on the boat. I put some in the freezer, but cooked some right away for my own dinner. O M G, as they say. It was the most delicious fish ever.

Last year for my birthday my S.O. cooked me a piece of walleye that he had caught. Also deliciously fresh, right from the lake.

And in 2016, I rented a house with a friend on Oak Island, NC, and there is a shop that sells fresh-caught fish. Had some wonderful shrimp and tuna, which tastes nothing like the canned stuff.

Unfortunately, getting fish that fresh is not always possible, but as long as it's handled and shipped properly, the fresh fish at a market should be decent.

I am not familiar with "Sprouts". Looked it up, and there is one in my state, about 60 miles away.

Old 08-04-2019, 01:11 PM

43,106 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
There is definitely a huge difference between fresh fish and not-so-fresh fish. Fish shouldn't smell fishy at all.

When my dd was a teenager, she went fishing for flounder with her bf and his father. She didn't like fish, but she came home with some flounder that had been filleted and then individually wrapped and placed on ice right there on the boat. I put some in the freezer, but cooked some right away for my own dinner. O M G, as they say. It was the most delicious fish ever.

Last year for my birthday my S.O. cooked me a piece of walleye that he had caught. Also deliciously fresh, right from the lake.

And in 2016, I rented a house with a friend on Oak Island, NC, and there is a shop that sells fresh-caught fish. Had some wonderful shrimp and tuna, which tastes nothing like the canned stuff.

Unfortunately, getting fish that fresh is not always possible, but as long as it's handled and shipped properly, the fresh fish at a market should be decent.

I am not familiar with "Sprouts". Looked it up, and there is one in my state, about 60 miles away.
Nothing tastes better than fresh..really fresh.

I've just moved to the coast of SC and now I can get my fresh fish...fresh off the boat no less.
I lived in Texas previously and only had seafood when I went to the coast where it was caught that day.

I prefer salt water fish but learned to appreciate catfish when I lived further inland. Had a stocked tank so even my catfish was fresh. I just had to find the right seasonings to cook it.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:21 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Yeah, that's not an option in my alternate universe, which is rural and far from any Costco (maybe 2 - 3 hours).

Good to know in my regular place, though, which has one about 20 minutes away. I've never been to a Costco, but that's two or three things people have mentioned now that are available there that make me think I might take the ride and brave the hordes someday.
Same here.

We do have Sam's Club, but Sam's is a big cut below Costco in terms of food (especially meat) quality. I had been going to Costco fairly regularly, but let my membership expire in April and did not renew it. The nearest one is a little over two hours away. I have to take a large cooler, fill that thing full of ice at a nearby gas station, etc. It's just a real pain.

We have Earthfare, but they are a poor imitation of Whole Foods or Sprouts. Other than that, Kroger and a regional chain called Ingle's are the only options outside of Walmart.

One of my biggest complaints moving back here to Tennessee is that the grocery stores are very expensive and quality/variety is just awful. The stores here are far worse than when I lived in Iowa and Indiana.

I bought a lot of produce from a local farming outfit that has their own "farm store" this weekend. Local tomatoes were $1.89/lb. They're $.98/lb at Ingle's for ones that aren't local. Corn was $5/dozen. You can get ears for $.33 at Walmart, but they are shriveled and don't even look like corn. I bought a quart of locally grown blueberries for $6. I can get the same amount at Aldi for $3. None of that "mass market" produce tastes anywhere nearly as good as locally grown.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:57 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
Food prices have gotten ridiculous IMO.

My husband and I generally have oatmeal for breakfast with coffee for him, tea for me. About once a week we'll have an egg and toast or fruit. We eat our supper early (around 2 pm) so it's a combo of lunch and dinner. We buy fresh fruits and veggies and local seafood and very little meat and still spend at least 800.00 a month.
You sound similar to us. We usually have a bagel and some berries, very small amount of juice and coffee. Mondays, a local fast food Mexican place we like has a special, burrito or burrito bowel, loaded as you want it, chips and a drink all for about $6 something. Total for both of us is $14.82 and we eat about 2ish so we just have two meals that day. Because my wife had cancer, she’s very focused on organic or at least fairly healthy food choices for most meals. Fridays we buy a frozen pizza and use it as a start for our own pizzas. So that’s another two meal cheap day. Friday is pizza/movie/beer night, a habit we developed when we were both working but still honor.

Old 08-05-2019, 08:40 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
Quote:
So Costco has FRESH fish as well? I didn't know that.
It is fresh as in not frozen but I wonder a bit how long it has been since it was caught. The packages are typical Costco size - huge. Like 3 lbs. DW and I will split a 1 lb piece for dinner so 3 lbs is a bit much. I don't like freezing fish so we just cook all 3 lbs and then put the remaining cooked fish on salads the rest of the week.

I used to live in Seattle and we would go down to Fisherman's terminal and buy fresh (very fresh!) fish from a fish market there. They would cut it to the exact amount we requested. I prefer buying fish that way.

Old 08-05-2019, 08:52 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,232,807 times
How do you all know if the fish was never frozen?

Don't fishing vessels have flash freeze cargo holds, as well as the processing/distribution facilities?

Just because it isn't frozen in the display case doesn't guarantee the fish hasn't been frozen at some point from hook or net to your grocery cart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement