Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 04:33 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,591,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Please tell us how to get 20 servings per one chicken!!
Yeah, that's a lot. I get 10-11 (including soup from the carcass)

Each Breast - 2 servings total 4
Each leg - 1 total of 2
Each thigh -total of 2
Wings - 1 total of 1
Soup - 2 servings minimum total of 2

That totals 11. I sometimes eat two legs at a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 05:03 PM

1,042 posts, read 873,399 times
There are 8 of us, including 4 growing boys, and we spend about $800 a month but we eat like royalty. We have access to an incredible ammount of organic produce for next to nothing. We get free eggs and milk, and we bake most of our breads, cakes, etc. I cook 4 days of the week, and a combination of the other 7 cook the other 3 days. We serve our dinners buffet style [we often have extras] and make sure we have both crazy healthy and decadent delicousness with every meal. I don't know how much it would cost if it was just Bobby and me because I love to make big meals with a ton of variety.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:45 PM

12,033 posts, read 6,563,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Farm raised tastes "wrong", though, and it doesn't have the Omego-3 health benefits because of what it is fed. Or so I read.
Yes! and they often have to feed the farm raised fish antibiotics because the water is so dirty and they are so crammed and crowded in the fish corrals..
There was a documentary recently on fish farms in the ocean and how filthy they were just made me sick.
Our Wegmans market buys farmed salmon from a company in British Columbia that has really really high standards — doesn’t overcrowd the fish and never uses antibiotics. And the salmon tastes like regular wild salmon not mushy pale farmed salmon.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:48 PM

417 posts, read 267,439 times
2 happy retirees who enjoy cooking and eating good food and drinking good cheers. We average about $1,000 not including dining out. It's all healthy chow these days. We even have our own garden but those Rice & Beans days are long past.
Time to enjoy!

Old 09-10-2019, 06:39 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,605,519 times
4+ years ago I was buying chicken thighs, pasta & whatever was on sale at the grocery that week. I have had an evolution in that now I buy meat/dairy/cheese/eggs that are free range/grass fed & finished/non-gmo organic, etc & stopped with the skim milk - now full fat non-gmo pasture grazing cow milk... & I am also trying to limit the processed foods as much as I can (although not entirely weaned off sausages or cookies yet). I have been whole grain on all breads/pasta/crackers for years.

I'm also very lucky in that a greenmarket is in my neighborhood with all the in-season fruits & veggies + I just discovered one of the farm stands has an unbelievably good Greek yogurt.

So my individual items do cost more but I tend to buy less stuff now and I do still love (brown) rice & beans.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:02 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,591,534 times
Quote:
Yes! and they often have to feed the farm raised fish antibiotics because the water is so dirty and they are so crammed and crowded in the fish corrals..
There was a documentary recently on fish farms in the ocean and how filthy they were just made me sick.
Our Wegmans market buys farmed salmon from a company in British Columbia that has really really high standards — doesn’t overcrowd the fish and never uses antibiotics. And the salmon tastes like regular wild salmon not mushy pale farmed salmon.
Except.

Those farmed fish are ATLANTIC salmon. There are no more wild salmon caught for the market. Wegmen's is telling a tall tale, maybe one they were told.

Now could you know how the wild Atlantic salmon tastes like? Farm-raised ones get their color from dye, not natural.

The only wild salmon the come to the market are Pacific salmon.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:40 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,752,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Except.

Those farmed fish are ATLANTIC salmon. There are no more wild salmon caught for the market. Wegmen's is telling a tall tale, maybe one they were told.

Now could you know how the wild Atlantic salmon tastes like? Farm-raised ones get their color from dye, not natural.

The only wild salmon the come to the market are Pacific salmon.
Costco has been selling wild Salmon lately, but they are expensive, we pay $75 for half a large salmon fillet. I buy them and give some to my daughter and her roommate.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:03 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
4+ years ago I was buying chicken thighs, pasta & whatever was on sale at the grocery that week. I have had an evolution in that now I buy meat/dairy/cheese/eggs that are free range/grass fed & finished/non-gmo organic, etc & stopped with the skim milk - now full fat non-gmo pasture grazing cow milk... & I am also trying to limit the processed foods as much as I can (although not entirely weaned off sausages or cookies yet). I have been whole grain on all breads/pasta/crackers for years.

I'm also very lucky in that a greenmarket is in my neighborhood with all the in-season fruits & veggies + I just discovered one of the farm stands has an unbelievably good Greek yogurt.

So my individual items do cost more but I tend to buy less stuff now and I do still love (brown) rice & beans.
Sausage is one of my weaknesses. I might run down to the farmer's market at lunch and see if I can pick up some local sausage.

Old 09-11-2019, 11:11 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
Please tell us how to get 20 servings per one chicken!!

I think it's pretty easy. For two people we do some variant of this: first meal splt a breast, second meal dark meat over a grain with veggies, third meal chicken tettrazini or pot pie (2 meals each), soup or chili (2 meals), then I pressure cook the heck out of the carcass and give whatever is left to the dogs.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-11-2019, 11:38 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Yeah, that's a lot. I get 10-11 (including soup from the carcass)

Each Breast - 2 servings total 4
Each leg - 1 total of 2
Each thigh -total of 2
Wings - 1 total of 1
Soup - 2 servings minimum total of 2

That totals 11. I sometimes eat two legs at a time.
Those must be some humongous chickens. My wife and I can manage on one breast each, or a leg and thigh along with a wing. That's the Costco Rotisserie sized chickens. We get two meals out of them though I have gotten 3 when I used the carcass for soup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement