Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 04:41 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Absolutely.

Some of the pensions on here are utterly mind-blowing, and would be in top 10% or better of people in a place like Roanoke.
That’s my point. It isn’t just the income it is that you are not working. Depending on where you are in the Raleigh Triangle people go dead silent when discussing retirement if they have pensions. If they realize you are one of them they really warm up. When we first got here people were not as angry but now they are. I have had service providers get angry who came to the house because they couldn’t retire and we had. We had used them multiple times previously and they were very friendly.

Being a transplant may not be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Roanoke isn't that much of a s---hole, is it?
No not at all. It is culturally different from Bethesda. It has a nice small college and the area is developing

Old 08-02-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Good point. If you go that route, just be standoffish and don't tell people you are retired. You are close enough to Langley that you can just hint "I can't talk about it" and maybe people will think you are CIA.
When you are home out and about during the day it is a give away. Years ago during the recession we would take care of our granddaughter. I would go out and get subs on occasion and the guy who owned the sub shop was very friendly. Business was slow and we would chat. About the third time he asked me how long I had been out of work and how was the job hunt going.

I told him I was retired and he said yeah right. He asked where I was from I told him and he had lived there previously. He got upset and said his father couldn’t retire and had been an accountant and lost all his money in the crash

Back then it was fashionable for people in there late 50’s early 60’s who lost there job to say they were retired.

Old 08-02-2019, 04:55 PM

4,276 posts, read 5,931,553 times
Or move to a neighborhood like ours.

40 years old with most homes initially purchased by young professionals who are now aging into retirement, located in the "poor town" ten miles away from the "rich/elitist town" with more cultural and gastronomical choices.

Old 08-02-2019, 04:57 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
No not at all. It is culturally different from Bethesda. It has a nice small college and the area is developing
I was about to remind someone that most people collect a government pension, one way or another!

Old 08-02-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I was about to remind someone that most people collect a government pension, one way or another!
Many people don’t realize that pensioners contribute themselves. They don’t understand the commonality of pensions and 401k plans with employer and employee contributions. The difference is in the defined benefit part of pensions

Also in many areas not only are pension eligible jobs not plentiful but so are jobs with 401k plans.

A lot of employees are screwed and identified as contract employees responsible for their own benefits and SS contributions.

Old 08-02-2019, 05:36 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,151,892 times
Quote:
The working class town I'm in trends working poor to middle class. Very blue collar. Low college graduation rate. Not many white collar professional jobs. Mostly white and little diversity. Trumpland.

Mostly white and little diversity? Wow... must be rough to live in a place that has less violent crime, schools with better test performance and less disciplinary problems, no gangs of significance, and less social problems in general. And the statistics bear me out.

I'm tired of the narrative that white collar and/or diverse cities are where it's at. That's very elitist and politically-correct nonsense. And with no basis in reality.

Old 08-02-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
Mostly white and little diversity? Wow... must be rough to live in a place that has less violent crime, schools with better test performance and less disciplinary problems, no gangs of significance, and less social problems in general. And the statistics bear me out.

I'm tired of the narrative that white collar and/or diverse cities are where it's at. That's very elitist and politically-correct nonsense.
That’s why real estate prices often reflect the value people see in living different places. Along with job opportunities and the skill/talent of the labor force which is so important to many

Old 08-02-2019, 05:46 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,151,892 times
Quote:
The working class town I'm in trends working poor to middle class. Very blue collar. Low college graduation rate. Not many white collar professional jobs. Mostly white and little diversity. Trumpland.

I'm tired of the narrative that white collar and/or diverse cities are where it's at. That's very elitist and politically-correct nonsense.

Old 08-02-2019, 05:56 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Many people don’t realize that pensioners contribute themselves. They don’t understand the commonality of pensions and 401k plans with employer and employee contributions. The difference is in the defined benefit part of pensions

Also in many areas not only are pension eligible jobs not plentiful but so are jobs with 401k plans.

A lot of employees are screwed and identified as contract employees responsible for their own benefits and SS contributions.
Unfortunately most employees (even who are 20-something today) will not retire with $1M to their name.

Most may never retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement