Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 03:34 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,723,618 times

Advertisements

It’s sad, but why work so late. There are crazies out there, especially at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 04:28 PM

15,246 posts, read 12,903,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
It’s sad, but why work so late. There are crazies out there, especially at night.

It's a lucrative time of night. Lots of drinkers need a ride home.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:46 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,185,849 times
I live in the Phoenix area too, and have been following this story. This thread is the first place where I read that Mr Treadwell was collecting SSI, so I went to track that quote down. And I found it and it did state that; it was out of the Daily Mail in the U.K.. I am wondering if, given that the wife had not ever heard of "Go Fund Me", if possibly she had mis-stated what kind of Social Security he was getting? Some people are not really aware of the different kinds of SS. Just a guess.

However, if he was indeed collecting SSI at age 72, and he was a retired financial planner, and she a home-maker, it does raise questions. Did he really never pay into SS and Medicare? Just skirted the system the whole time? Did he have money and get wiped out in the recent recession/crash? I simply do not know.

Whatever the case, I certainly hope they can solve this case and get the killer off the streets.

I feel very bad for the wife, despite all the unanswered questions. It is a sad story.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...sary-call.html

Old 08-02-2019, 02:02 AM

15,633 posts, read 26,197,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Mr. Treadwell was on SSI. Welfare. I guess you must be allowed to supplement your SSI income by picking up odd jobs like Lyft. To wit:

You can begin to work and continue to receive SSI benefits as long as your wages and other resources do not exceed the SSA's income limit for SSI; however, your monthly benefit amount will be reduced in proportion to your income.
In general, the income limit for SSI is the federal benefit rate (FBR), which is $771 per month for an individual and $1,157 per month for a couple in 2019.

So their combined SSI/work income would have been capped at $1,157/month.

I don't understand how a 71 year old man ends up on SSI instead of Social Security, unless he was a self-employed financial planner and worked under the table, thus never made the employer/employee contributions to Social Security. Can anyone else come up with an alternate scenario, other than he simply didn't have 40 quarters yet?

I am sorry for Mrs. Treadwell. I think we are going to see more of this, meaning people who evaded the system and thus cannot benefit from the system. Makes life harder on their surviving loved ones.
There’s ways for business owners to legally evade paying much into Social Security, usually by plowing the money back into the business. It would help a lot if accountants and the government stopped calling it the self employment tax.

When you’re an employee you don’t have a choice and you only pay half. Your employer pays the other half. But become self employed and paying the whole thing is crazy! I’m not paying all that tax!

I’m glad we did.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:15 AM

23,839 posts, read 33,430,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
I live in the Phoenix area too, and have been following this story. This thread is the first place where I read that Mr Treadwell was collecting SSI, so I went to track that quote down. And I found it and it did state that; it was out of the Daily Mail in the U.K.. I am wondering if, given that the wife had not ever heard of "Go Fund Me", if possibly she had mis-stated what kind of Social Security he was getting? Some people are not really aware of the different kinds of SS. Just a guess.

However, if he was indeed collecting SSI at age 72, and he was a retired financial planner, and she a home-maker, it does raise questions. Did he really never pay into SS and Medicare? Just skirted the system the whole time? Did he have money and get wiped out in the recent recession/crash? I simply do not know.

Whatever the case, I certainly hope they can solve this case and get the killer off the streets.

I feel very bad for the wife, despite all the unanswered questions. It is a sad story.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...sary-call.html
Thanks for finding the article. It actually came from the Go Fund Me; which I read before going to the article you posted. I had read that part but my brain read it as social security, not SSI welfare lol. I actually wonder if the friend made a mistake when she wrote SSI with the friend not realizing she posted that they're on welfare when she really meant social security.

I sent Karen who started the Go Fund Me a message to see if it was a mistake or not.

Quote:
Thank you all! (post taken from Frances FB page with permission

She has no life insurance, she will lose Tready's SSI, and will be forced to move. I know we can all help her make this horrible journey a bit easier by not having to worry about money.

Last edited by Roselvr; 08-02-2019 at 07:36 AM..

Old 08-02-2019, 11:35 AM

15,633 posts, read 26,197,111 times
I remember from banking people often called SS SSI -- like Social Security Insurance.

Old 08-03-2019, 04:42 AM

23,839 posts, read 33,430,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I remember from banking people often called SS SSI -- like Social Security Insurance.
That's what I think; that it was a mistake.

No reply from her yet. I checked the Go Fund Me, no update or edit. Want to leave the below quote, the Go Fund Me is linked in the article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post

Old 08-04-2019, 07:49 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,466,966 times
A financial planner that didn't plan his own finances?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement