Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 03:37 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,772,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
This is a great question. Anyone can do math but the huge change in mindset is a challenge.
I would create a mathematical financial model and treat this as a "project" with a cost performance index type approach - are you "ahead" or "behind" the curve? Keep it objective and minimally emotional. I have D dollars and assume I'll live Y years so I can only spend D/Y dollars per year - factoring in any income streams too.
The math isn’t just Dollars/Years with investments. Maybe it works okay as a general rule of thumb in some scenarios. But inflation, sequence of return risks, CAGR, etc. all come into play. You’d have just a 3.33% WR for a 30 year term, compared to the 4.5% Bengen says is “safe” for a blended asset allocation for 30 years (updated research from his original study/Trinity study).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 03:45 PM

106,669 posts, read 108,833,673 times
The reason you can go to 4% is there was only a 5% chance you would not make it through 30 years....in practice 4% has been far to conservative..

You ended 30 years 90% of the time with more than you started and 2x what you started with 67% of the time . 50% of all the 119 30year cycles you ended with 3x what you started with..

The odds of failing at 4% are the same odds that you could end 30 years with 6x what you started with... if you eliminate the 5 failure periods a safe withdrawal rate would be 6-1/2% .
So it could be important to take raises at 4% in anything but the worst of outcomes ....in fact when you include the statistics of life expectancy in to the mix , the fact is most of us will not last 30 years in retirement and that makes 4% draws with 40-60% equities almost 99.90% successful.

3.33% is fine for someone using no equities

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-02-2019 at 04:05 PM..

Old 08-02-2019, 04:07 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,767,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
My husband and I both had good paying careers and were able to save a lot for retirement. We are not big spenders. We have no debt. I retired a few years ago at 52. He wants to retire next year at age 59. Our financial advisor ran some numbers for us and said we are fine, and even if we live to 90 we will still have a substantial amount to leave to our only child.

My question is this.... After working and saving our entire lives up to now, how do we transition emotionally to living off our savings? It seems like it will be discouraging to see our savings going down instead of up.
Yes it takes some getting used to.

My recommendation is to "run the numbers" yourself and completely understand them. There are many ways to run them so you should understand what are the assumptions that went into his calculation. My feeling is if you did your homework and you are 100% confident in what the numbers say, just put it on autopilot, stick to your plan, and otherwise ignore it and don't hover over your accounts. I rarely look at ours other than to pull money out every 6 months or so.

Old 08-02-2019, 04:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
Yes we have always maxed out our 401ks, and also have additional non-retirement account investments, as well as other things. I think we are ok financially. I also have kept detailed records of what we spend each month for the past 15 years and I know our spending habits (FYI this is a great exercise for anyone out there and I have a pretty easy system I use, but then I am a nerd). Will also have to figure in more for insurance too.
I must admit.... I haven't tracked my spending since JR High. 15+ yrs retired, still waiting for age 65. Been using healthcare cost sharing to reduce costs, as well as getting tuned up while in Thailand.

Old 08-02-2019, 06:57 PM

408 posts, read 259,759 times
The way I see it, taxable events are good. That means I have enough money to tax. My goal is to manage my taxable events so that Uncle Sam claims the least amount of my money, not none of my money.

Old 08-02-2019, 09:04 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
OP, the only thing that I would be concerned about is health care costs, since neither of you is eligible for Medicare and won't be for many years. Hopefully you've already factored that in but you didn't mention it at all, and health care costs seem to be a huge factor in keeping people in the workforce. (As another poster in this thread put it, "Health care is the great unknown.")

If that's already worked out, then go and have a great retirement!

Old 08-02-2019, 10:35 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,647,123 times
Taxes are the price we pay to live in a civilized society.

Old 08-03-2019, 05:44 AM

1,112 posts, read 884,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
The emotional part definitely is challenge. We consulted several financial planners, and I evaluated the math of their methods fairly closely. All of their models showed we had far more than enough. Intellectually, we believed the models and their projections. In our stomachs, it just didn't feel right.

I think it is a bit like doing a bungee jump off a tall tower or bridge. Intellectually, you know you'll be safe, but there is a sense of visceral terror as you're getting ready to take the jump.

At the end of the day, you close your eyes and jump - and after about 10 seconds you'll be having the time of your life.
Looking forward to hear what my FP guy will tell me about retiring...i have 3 years until I can be on medicare....so I still need to work for health ins.

Old 08-03-2019, 06:57 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,167,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
OP, the only thing that I would be concerned about is health care costs, since neither of you is eligible for Medicare and won't be for many years. Hopefully you've already factored that in but you didn't mention it at all, and health care costs seem to be a huge factor in keeping people in the workforce. (As another poster in this thread put it, "Health care is the great unknown.")

If that's already worked out, then go and have a great retirement!
Yes, we factored in healthcare costs, but thanks for mentioning.

Old 08-03-2019, 07:21 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae Maes Garden View Post
Looking forward to hear what my FP guy will tell me about retiring...i have 3 years until I can be on medicare....so I still need to work for health ins.
Cobra in California is 36 months if you work for a reasonably decent employer, otherwise it’s 18 months for most states. You may not have to wait that long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement