Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2019, 10:04 AM

6 posts, read 3,221 times

Advertisements

I have searched and not found exactly what I'm looking for, so I thought maybe some of you who have applied online fairly recently could give me the "how it actually works" practical answers that the SSA website does not. I only have two questions at this point. If it matters, I have had an uncomplicated life for purposes of the application - married 38 years, born and lived in the US, same job for 30 years, no military service and no other other government benefits or disability. My two questions are:

1. My spouse will collect non-working spouse benefits based on my income. Will that be part of my application process online, or does she need to go online and apply separately?

2. The website says they "may" ask for certain documents. How do they ask for them in an online application? Do I scan them and submit them electronically, or will I be asked to mail them in? If mail, do I actually send originals, or are copies fine?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 10:16 AM

663 posts, read 433,800 times
It is two separate applications.

My experience:
My husband applied online. Took about 10 minutes. He was not asked for any support documentation. There was no follow up phone call. He got a document asking him to verify his information and gave him instructions on how to determine what percentage of taxes he wanted taken out. He got his SS timely,

I later applied for spousal under his account. I am not scheduled to get my first payment till November. About a week after I applied online I got a phone call from SS. The representative asked me some questions and then asked to talk to my husband. There has been no request for documentation.

Old 09-04-2019, 06:46 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
My husband at 60 was disabled and received SSI disability for the past two years...supposedly SSID will automatically convert to regular SS when he reaches full retirement age(661/2)...currently he receives close to the maximum allowed, does that mean when the time comes and he is switched will he recieve the same amount or could it be more or less?

Old 09-04-2019, 07:22 PM

7,044 posts, read 6,295,966 times
One I can answer. I just received a letter from social security saying that as my birthday is in September and I will be of fra at that time, they are switching me to ss. There is no change in monthly amount.

Old 09-04-2019, 07:38 PM

305 posts, read 241,429 times
I just applied online, it was really easy, yeah they said they might ask for documentation but nobody did. I filled out the application online in about 15 min. A few weeks later I got a letter explaining exactly how much I was getting and when it would start. I did have to input my banking info on the application for direct deposit.

Really easy, do it.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:22 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
One I can answer. I just received a letter from social security saying that as my birthday is in September and I will be of fra at that time, they are switching me to ss. There is no change in monthly amount.
Ok thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement