Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 10:56 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times

Advertisements

I'm 75 and don't have the remotest idea of my likely death date; I don't try to predict it either. I've had solid arrangements for my pets for years. I've made arrangements for the disposal of my estate as well. I have no family o I needn't concern myself with that. There's really no more that I can or wish to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 11:01 AM

1,210 posts, read 888,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
I have in writing donate my body to science,
//www.city-data.com/forum/curre...y-science.html

Old 08-06-2019, 11:04 AM

33,227 posts, read 26,434,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNSLPPTSO13 View Post
For what awaits me in my older age...I don't wish to get there.
I'm 62 and can barely keep my balance when I stand up due to PAD.. Even while being on 9 different medications(including Xoloft) and in treatment for 15 years,my glucose this morning was 309...and my blood pressure 177/77. No exercise,supplements,etc seem to really have a beneficial effect on me.
I believe you really cannot change anything when you're apparently a loser in the genetic lottery also. I will die of a massive stroke like my mother and 3 of my maternal uncles or I will lose limbs due to diabetes like 2 first cousins.
Besides,I'm $91K in debt,no savings whatsoever and my 2 remaining close family members live 4K miles away.
My father lived to 59...my mother to 76...I already beat my father's longevity. I doubt I will make it beyond 70 when it's the only hope I will have of really retiring.
Just waiting for whatever....
I'm sorry you're having to go through all of that.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:10 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,903,899 times
The only people that know how long they are going to live are the ones that do themselves in.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:13 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
I can't say that I expect to get there!

Old 08-06-2019, 11:22 AM

2,341 posts, read 613,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaChris View Post
I think I will have 25+ years
I'm not retired yet -retiring at 62 in 7 years. My mother is 84 and still relatively healthy - my father died due to complications of pneumonia (with severe dementia) at 73. My maternal grandmother was almost 90 and my paternal grandfather died at 94. I have high blood pressure - although yesterday at doctor appointment it was 123/77

Old 08-06-2019, 11:33 AM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Been retired 20 years, expect to live another 20 should unforeseen circumstances arise.
Longevity s in my genes, I have close relatives over 100 already and many in their 90's.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:42 AM

475 posts, read 318,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notch on my belt View Post
But how about you? How long do you expect to be alive in retirement?
I don't think of life in terms of whether I'm retired or not and don't give my life expectancy any thought...when I'm dead I'm dead, until then I'll keep living.

Quote:
Do you plan to be healthy for most of your retirement years? Will you live longer than the typical life expectancy? (The Mid 80s for people who lived to age 62)
The best laid plans....
At the moment I feel great, everything seems to be working the way it's supposed to. (I'll be 67 in Oct)

Quote:
Will you postpone some of your bucket list because you expect to be able to do many of these things in 20-30 years?
There's nothing I want to do that would require waiting until an advanced age to do it. I had a bucket list when I was younger although we didn't call it that. Have kids, buy a house, take vacations, work for myself, spend time with friends and family, go to stock car races, have pets, grow a garden, live by the ocean, raise a little hell on a Friday night, go camping, canoeing, fishing, learn to draw portraits, quilt, stitch, sit around a camp fire laughing/talking etc. I've done all that, continue to do most of those things and more.

Honestly, there's nothing I haven't done that's calling out to me except maybe going on a cruise at some point to see what it's like. I've traveled but always by car or plane.

No regrets. No list. No expectations of early death or longevity. No "maybe someday". (except for that cruise)

Old 08-06-2019, 11:45 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,240,224 times
Quote:
The media is full of stories about how we are living longer. The newspaper stories always talk about the people who are living healthy comfortable lives in their 90s and 100s. Even posters on this board have got into the act and are always telling us that if you are a married couple in retirement there is a 50% chance one of you will live past 90 years old.

But how about you? How long do you expect to be alive in retirement? Do you plan to be healthy for most of your retirement years? Will you live longer than the typical life expectancy? (The Mid 80s for people who lived to age 62)

If you expect to live a long time in retirement and will be full of health and vigor how does this impact your bucket list? Will you postpone some of your bucket list because you expect to be able to do many of these things in 20-30 years?
Yeah, I agree, most posters here overestimate how long they will live productive lives. Few of us will live productive lives past 85. Personally, I’m good if I get to 75. By 80, I’ll probably be a disaster.

75 would be 33 years of retirement for me. That’s fine.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:48 AM

408 posts, read 259,639 times
I cut and pasted the next paragraph from my retirement planning document. The names were changed to protect the ......

No one knows when they will depart this earth. However, for conservative retirement planning we are assuming that Deoge's life expectancy will be 100 years and Mrs. Deoge's life expectancy will be 105 years. Both sets of parents lived long lives and as of July, 2019 we are in good health.

I have made Mrs. Deoge promise to put a pillow over my face when the time is right. She eagerly agreed. Perhaps too eagerly now that I recall.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement