Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 08:16 PM

3,139 posts, read 1,594,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Ok, whatever you say. What I said was my husband was exposed to people with flu, he didn’t have any flu shot, and didn’t get any flu either. He was sharing cubicle and elevators with them. That was his exposure. He must have good immunity even without the flu shots.
I didn’t equate anything to your husband. Chill. Don’t go online calling people false this and that.
Nothing to chill about --

False equivalence is a logical fallacy in which two completely opposing arguments appear to be logically equivalent when in fact they are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 08:18 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,749,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
Nothing to chill about --

False equivalence is a logical fallacy in which two completely opposing arguments appear to be logically equivalent when in fact they are not.
Did I say they were equivalent or you just made it up for a quarrel. And what the heck is surrounded by immigrants, we’re in California, there all kinds of immigrants here, unless you mean illegal immigrants. Which is which for you? Tit for Tat.

Old 08-07-2019, 10:59 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,498,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
The worst thing about a sibling who ignores their health is if they don't have a partner or kids or even friends. Who is going to help them if something bad happens? You the other sibling who tries to take care of their health? Now you have to spend your time helping them in a situation which they could have possibly avoided if they bothered to take their meds or visit a doctor.

This also applies to best friends who are single with no kids or no other siblings. They are probably expecting some form of help from you the best friend even though they ignored their health.

Not saying to ditch someone in their time of need but please try to take care of yourself first and don't expect people to help you when you ignored your health in the first place.
So you're not really concerned about their health then. You're concerned you'll have to put yourself out.

Old 08-07-2019, 11:40 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,944,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I take my sister to colonoscopy. However, I don’t have to remind her, she schedules it herself.

You must come from a family of data points.

Old 08-08-2019, 04:24 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,178,984 times
I am an octogenarian with a multitude of health problems, some very serious. I take care of myself and I consult medical doctors regularly, and take the advice of a reputable herbalist who has had formal medical training in Asia and the UK.

And yet I get those amateur medical ignoramuses who say, "You should do X..........." Not one single jackass who has ever said this to me has had the common sense sense to first ask, "Do you do X.....?" or "Have you tried X....?" No, they immediately launch into their agendas with zero knowledge of what I do do or have done.

I just verbally execute such individuals and leave their bleeding egos expiring on the street.

There seems to be an assumption in many of the posts in this thread that elderly people as a whole are mental midgets. I would be more inclined to think that those of us ancients who are taking care of ourselves now were doing so when we were younger. And that those elders who are sloppy, lazy or downright stupid about watching their health were no better at it when they were younger.

Last edited by kevxu; 08-08-2019 at 04:37 AM..

Old 08-08-2019, 05:31 AM

1,096 posts, read 418,030 times
I do get the flu shot because years ago I wound up in the hospital twice because of bad asthma while I had the flu (those two times I hadn't gotten the flu shot before). Experiences I don't want to repeat. I usually have to force myself to get it cause I hate needles but I get it.

Regarding nagging someone about their health problems, I generally avoid that. People would just tune it out anyways. Its up to them. My husband has health problems but if I were to nag him he'd dig his heels in further. Best thing to do is mention it and let him decide, no nagging.

Old 08-08-2019, 05:59 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,177,249 times
I nag myself quite frequently...you should drink less, give up smoking, exercise more... but seldom listen.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:21 AM

5,144 posts, read 3,074,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
So you're not really concerned about their health then. You're concerned you'll have to put yourself out.
Have you ever been in that situation? Of course that is a concern, and rightly so. Single relatives and friends who assume someone else will bail their lazy you-know-what’s out of trouble are incredibly selfish.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:53 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,741,584 times
I don't have to nag DH. He has always gotten his tests on schedule. Maybe having the knowledge of family history of people dying young of colon cancer and skin cancer makes him not want to do the same. For me, I can't understand why someone would NOT want to participate in any test or vaccination that might lower their chances of dying prematurely or getting sick unnecessarily, allergies are of course an exception. Screening and vaccines are covered by insurance and pretty easy and for the most part painless (except those da*n mammograms which are kinda painful, but they only last 5 minutes). Glad I don't have to nag. We get the flu shots every year and have had our shingles shots. In the military I had all the usual vaccines. We are very rarely sick beyond a bad cold every 3 or 4 years, and I haven't had the flu in the last 40 years.

My brother smoked for many years, and after our mom died a long painful death from the ravages of smoking, I couldn't understand how he could still smoke. The addiction to nicotine is just SO strong. He did try to quit multiple times. I was so glad when he and his wife finally succeeded in quitting on his 4th or 5th big try. I couldn't stand the thought of losing him to cigarettes, so I nagged a bit, but not excessively. I know how obnoxious naggers can be when you are really trying.

I've seen what happens when someone plays like those "see no evil, hear no evil" monkeys and just never gets their screening tests. Granny died within 3 weeks of being diagnosed with cancer, because she had a bump, never had it looked at for years. By the time she finally "felt bad" and went to the doctor, it was far, far too late for her. Tumors were pretty much everywhere in her body. Now some people would say "See, she lived well and died quickly". True, but she didn't have to die at 67.

Last edited by TheShadow; 08-08-2019 at 07:05 AM..

Old 08-08-2019, 07:57 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,731,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I hang out with a bunch of older folks - 65 to 72 years of age

Of course one main topic is health. I can see being concerned about an offspring, spouse, partner.

But a sibling or friend. They get upset because they won't take their meds or see a doctor.

I tell them - hey, they are adults, probably even reproduced. It is their choice. Leave them alone.

They are not asking for help.
I agree with you.

For those interested in giving old folks unsolicited health advise, perhaps it should simply be to exercise more, eat well and lightly.

A far superior directive, IMO, then suggesting more doctor visits and gobbling pharmaceuticals.

I'm very critical of consuming health "care" services. These burdensome costs to our society are frequently unnecessary. Old folks in the US are grossly over medicated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement