Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2019, 09:24 AM

888 posts, read 648,663 times

Advertisements

No not any more. Last year we were feeding feral cats. Over winter they all disappeared. I did see a few at the farm down the road from us. If I saw feral cats hanging around I would feed them again. Our dog died 2 years ago. After over 30 years of having pets we have decided not to take on that responsibility at this time in our lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 02:22 PM

5,945 posts, read 5,087,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
No, "yea" is the word. The OP used the correct wordage. It's always "yea or nay" when voting.

It's "yea" for voting (Yea or Nay); it signifies affirmation. That is, exclaiming "Yea!" is equivalent to exclaiming "Yes!"; it's a word, not simply a noise.

And "yay!" is an exclamation meaning the same as "hooray!".

Just because some people out there want to change things in language doesn't make it right.

Class is dismissed!

Old 08-17-2019, 04:26 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,089,656 times
I have had a horse, geese, macaws, and 20 dogs. I have done 5 yrs+ volunteer at a KILL shelter, and that should explain it. I thank all of you who rescue, old, abandoned dogs. At this time, I have 2 old dobermans, whose meds cost me about $500 a month. So I hear some of the bragging folks with their travels and BMWs and so forth. but you know what? When I settle down to watch a movie, and my 2 old rescue Dobermans are on the sofa with me, I think, "does that mercedes in the garage cuddle and love me?" I'd rather the old rescue dogs. So.... what is retirement for anyway? You can't take it with you. And we old farts have nothing better to do.

Old 08-17-2019, 06:07 AM

3,057 posts, read 1,512,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
I have had a horse, geese, macaws, and 20 dogs. I have done 5 yrs+ volunteer at a KILL shelter, and that should explain it. I thank all of you who rescue, old, abandoned dogs. At this time, I have 2 old dobermans, whose meds cost me about $500 a month. So I hear some of the bragging folks with their travels and BMWs and so forth. but you know what? When I settle down to watch a movie, and my 2 old rescue Dobermans are on the sofa with me, I think, "does that mercedes in the garage cuddle and love me?" I'd rather the old rescue dogs. So.... what is retirement for anyway? You can't take it with you. And we old farts have nothing better to do.
Dogs, horses, cats- better than all the cars and travel in the world.

Old 08-17-2019, 08:56 AM

32,925 posts, read 26,155,288 times
I had dogs as pets when I was a boy, but I became too attached to them, and when they eventually died it hurt too much and I missed them terribly. I'd rather not go through that again. And at this point in my life there's also the possibility of me dying before they would, and where would that leave them? So, no pets.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:29 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,610,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
Uh, I am not one of those travelers, but the main benefit of traveling has nothing to do with owning the car.

And not everyone wants to stay home so much, pets or not. After years of being tied down with jobs (which means being tied down with pets is not that much extra anchorage), being free to take off on a whim is wonderful.

Some people want to learn more about other people, other ways of living, other WILD ANIMALS, other natural settings. Cuddling with dogs just is not a priority to them. So what? You don’t have to justify your choice, and neither do they.

Old 08-17-2019, 02:05 PM

806 posts, read 394,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Dogs, horses, cats- better than all the cars and travel in the world.
I could less about cars as I drive a 14 yr old Honda. But I would never trade travel for "dogs, horses and cats." All those pets are a lot of work in retirement. The only work for me when traveling is pulling a wheeled suitcase.

However, to each his own.

Last edited by Rastafellow; 08-17-2019 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: change wording

Old 08-17-2019, 02:15 PM

6,558 posts, read 4,192,042 times
Post retirement, don't want anything to care for dogs, cats, fish, horses, chickens, goats (have had all at one time or other), etc..

Old 08-17-2019, 03:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,609 posts, read 57,579,010 times
As a retiree... You can be of BIG assistance in 'special' caring for your neighbor / extended family pets who are stuck at home while their owners work FT. Visiting grand-dogs, cats, peacocks...

Since all of us neighbors travel a lot, we care for each other's pets, (and livestock). Some of the cats seem to just go where someone is home. They each have places in (5+) barns. When we come home, we can drive into neighbor driveway and our cat comes running at the sound of a familiar car, then comes home and scolds us.

The Farm dog (deceased at age 18) used to enjoy staying home alone (with other pets and livestock).
He would welcome us, but you could tell he was a bit bummed that he was no longer the 'boss' / sole protector of the farm.

Never (60+ yrs) had a pet that enjoyed being in the house or fenced yard.
I'm glad they had many acres to enjoy / adventure.

Makes me very sad to see a pet confined in a car or home or ...airplane.

Pets are getting more social priority in USA. (Ireland was similar... pets FIRST; kids LAST)

Retirees in an IC (Intentional Community) complained.... "Why do the parents of small children allow their pets to eat at the table, and their kids to eat off the floor".

I consider the same thing when I see pets on airplanes and yapping within ear shot of neighbors...
Why burden others with your selfish and spoiled mutt?
Why put a ESA on a plane and subject it to CRASH risk?

Old 08-17-2019, 03:53 PM

806 posts, read 394,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
As a retiree...

Why put a ESA on a plane and subject it to CRASH risk?
... Or to maul a passenger as happened on Delta Airlines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement