Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2019, 11:36 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,623,706 times

Advertisements

As a dog owner you have to think of boarding the dog when going on vacation unless you drive. Veterinarians seem to have a license to steal. Unless you get an honest one. Good Luck on your decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2019, 12:13 PM

325 posts, read 207,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Veterinarians seem to have a license to steal. Unless you get an honest one. Good Luck on your decision.
Recently our elderly cat became ill overnight. We went to a CITY vet clinic because that is where we were at the time. Basic evaluation took place. They ran usual blood work, re-hydrated under the skin, gave two shots for upset tummy and nausea, a 10 day antibiotic supply and NO DIAGNOSIS. Bill came to $575.00. They wanted to keep the cat overnight to evaluate further for a more specific diagnosis and the fee for that was going to be well over $1600.00. I said no due to age. I also inquired as to their fee for putting the cat down and that quote came back at $180.00. Our rural vet would do it for less than $60.00.

I identify this recent vet service as "CITY" because over the years I've had regular contact and services from vets in a rural setting and those who offer services in a city. It is like night and day in fees charged and the quality of care is no better based on price.

Whatever the problem..antibiotics did the trick for our cat.

While at this vet service, an elderly lady came in to have a minor none surgical procedure done to her cat. She was using a walker and it was all she could do to make it into the vet clinic carrying her cat in a carrier. When she was told the service she was seeking would have an additional fee to the primary office visit of $99.00...I thought she might faint.

NOTE- Nearly half of American workers make less than $30,000 a year. I guess that's why I see "financing" advertisements on the front counter at the establishments in the city. Sadly....pets and the care they need are becoming a luxury for those on a fixed budget or have a family to raise and educate.

Last edited by CentralUSHomeowner; 08-24-2019 at 12:33 PM..

Old 08-24-2019, 02:11 PM

14,938 posts, read 12,132,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I guess I thought birds went to sleep at night. The bright light shining in his cage, the music loud, this bird was not dancing.

But I have seen some birds that are so smart and funny and do dance. Cockatoos?? Not sure.
They do go to sleep a night, it's their quiet time and they do need their sleep. It's hard to imagine a bird enjoying having bright lights shining right on him, and loud noises blaring at him that he can't escape.

Many birds do enjoy music, and react in a positive way by dancing around, talking or joining in as they can on the action. But sitting there still with loud music and bright lights at bedtime, sounds as though the bird is only tolerating it as there isn't much else he can do about it.

Old 08-24-2019, 02:12 PM

14,938 posts, read 12,132,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralUSHomeowner View Post
Recently our elderly cat became ill overnight. We went to a CITY vet clinic because that is where we were at the time. Basic evaluation took place. They ran usual blood work, re-hydrated under the skin, gave two shots for upset tummy and nausea, a 10 day antibiotic supply and NO DIAGNOSIS. Bill came to $575.00. They wanted to keep the cat overnight to evaluate further for a more specific diagnosis and the fee for that was going to be well over $1600.00. I said no due to age. I also inquired as to their fee for putting the cat down and that quote came back at $180.00. Our rural vet would do it for less than $60.00.

I identify this recent vet service as "CITY" because over the years I've had regular contact and services from vets in a rural setting and those who offer services in a city. It is like night and day in fees charged and the quality of care is no better based on price.

While at this vet service, an elderly lady came in to have a minor none surgical procedure done to her cat. She was using a walker and it was all she could do to make it into the vet clinic carrying her cat in a carrier. When she was told the service she was seeking would have an additional fee to the primary office visit of $99.00...I thought she might faint.

NOTE- Nearly half of American workers make less than $30,000 a year. I guess that's why I see "financing" advertisements on the front counter at the establishments in the city. Sadly....pets and the care they need are becoming a luxury for those on a fixed budget or have a family to raise and educate.
Well, pet ownership IS optional.

Old 08-24-2019, 02:42 PM

325 posts, read 207,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post

You seemed to miss the point I was trying to make.

Pet ownership is a viable and reasonable option.......even for those on a fixed budget, but only if you live in an area where the animal medical care provider isn't financially trying to take advantage of the clients.

Old 08-24-2019, 03:13 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,694,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralUSHomeowner View Post

Regardless where you are, it pays—errr it saves money—to shop around. It sounds like yours was an urgent situation, and that might have caused some fees to be higher.

I once called around to get quotes for neutering a rabbit. One place said $250, which was at least five times the cost of neutering a DOG at that time. Another vet charged me much, much less. I don’t remember the exact amount, but it was something around $50 to $75. They said that rabbits have to have a tiny, specially-sized anesthesia mask, which is why it costs more than dog neutering.

It has little to do with country vs city, in just about anything. We have been ripped off by “country” businesses as well as received competent service done professionally. Same duality as for “city” businesses. You have to assess service more objectively and carefully than just assuming all country people are trustworthy/fair and all city people are greedy SOBs.

Old 08-24-2019, 04:19 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,650,355 times
I love animals, but not sure if I can care for one anymore. Between the obligation and cost, it can be tough. I try to give to the animal funds and feed the birds, etc. Not sure, maybe someday another cat.

Old 08-24-2019, 04:40 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,111,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post

After you adopt a pet this is no longer true (optional). And the vet people know we are hooked.

Old 08-24-2019, 05:13 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
I would not mind having a medium sized dog. But DH is totally against it for several reasons. I think a biggie is possible vet bills, and also the need to walk it daily. I’d walk it at least half the time, but I don’t have the strong enough desire to insist we get one.

I love cats. But I know how destructive their claws are on furniture and upholstery. I could handle dumping the litter box, I think, but I can’t handle the constant threat of damaged furniture.

We had a dog and a cat when the kids were younger. I had cats when I was a kid. But we let the cats outside a lot, and claw damage was limited. Nowadays, you are supposed to keep your cats inside most of the time.

And heaven forbid, you should declaw a cat.

Old 08-24-2019, 05:19 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,676,974 times
I'm 72, in excellent health, own 90 acres, and the six year old field bred springer snoring next to my chair does a lot for my quality of life. I walk her morning and night. She runs off lead and does 5 or 10 miles a day while I walk two. It keeps me healthy and active. A well trained bird dog holds the promise of frosty autumn mornings in the field, hunting quail and pheasant. I understand why people with pets live a longer and healthier life.

A dog is expensive. I figure she averages $100/month for food, vet visits, and grooming. I found a vet tech volunteering at the local animal shelter who also does house sitting. She is wonderful with animals, and very trustworthy. She charges me $50/day for house sitting, so a 10 day vacation adds another $500 to the travel bill. Bird hunting trips are not cheap either. I agree that people who can't afford a pet shouldn't have one. I'm affluent enough that dog expenses just disappear into the cash flow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement