Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2019, 06:12 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,845,442 times

Advertisements

Pet ownership -- now and then? Yea or nay?

Yay!!

My landlady, awesome a she is, won't let me have one though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 08:23 PM

7,342 posts, read 4,131,451 times
My little dog was put to sleep on Monday

He was diabetic, losing control of his bladder, losing strength in his legs, ongoing ear infections and pancreatitis. Worse, he was blind and developing glaucoma which meant increasing eye pressure and pain.

For the last three years, our schedule revolved around his 7:30 am and 7:30 pm meals and insulin injections.

So we have more freedom now to go out to dinner or a movie.

He was a wonderful dog. We miss him. Our other dog is in mourning too. Don't think the cat cares.

When they go, we are going to travel.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:13 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Mrs. Robinson says Thank You!!
OMG he's georgeous. And I love those crossed eyes!

Old 08-08-2019, 09:48 PM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
So sorry to hear of your loss. It is hard to say goodbye.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:57 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
I can't imagine a life without pets.

However, I am trying to plan for my last pet(s). I don't want to die and leave my pets behind, to end up in the pound. That'd be irresponsible of me to do that.

I haven't done a will, yet. When I do, I will cover the issue of whatever pet(s) I may have when I die.

If I get really old and don't have a pet at that time, I won't get a new one. I have a senior dog now. My other dog had to be put down 1 1/2 yrs ago (my heart is still broken). When my last dog goes, I'll get one more pet or set of pets, and that will probably be the last ones.

I love both cats and dogs. But you're right about cats...they're easier. Having a dog is like having a child.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:11 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post

He was diabetic, losing control of his bladder, losing strength in his legs, ongoing ear infections and pancreatitis. Worse, he was blind and developing glaucoma which meant increasing eye pressure and pain.

For the last three years, our schedule revolved around his 7:30 am and 7:30 pm meals and insulin injections.

So we have more freedom now to go out to dinner or a movie.

He was a wonderful dog. We miss him. Our other dog is in mourning too. Don't think the cat cares.

When they go, we are going to travel.

So sad to read of your loss. I've gone through it a few times and none of those times were easy.

I would disagree with what you said about cats not caring. They do. It is a more subtle mourning, but they do mourn. Their playmate is not playing.

I have two cats and when one of them is not feeling good, the other keeps track of him. It's very sweet to watch them. When the one who is "ill" comes around, there is a visible joy to the one who is waiting.

At least that is what I see with my two.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:47 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
I'm retired and have a cat and a dog. I lost one dog over a year ago and I still very much miss him. Right now I'm helping to raise Lenny, a 3 month old French Bulldog. I have him Monday through Friday for around 4 hours a day. He's a handful, and I have to go get him right now. I do not want another puppy!!!!.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:10 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
To go a bit off topic - having big dogs in your back yard and/or house is about the best security for the buck spent you can get, ask any cop. The dogs don't have to be trained attack dogs. Burglar sees big dog, he immediately shifts to a "softer" target.

So I guess my point is that really any dog that will at least bark at a stranger actually earns their keep.
No, that kind of indiscriminate barking is literally crying wolf. If it barks so often at ordinary events, then when something bad occurs nobody bothers to check what’s happening.

Maybe it happens when the owner is away, and the neighbors are so used to hearing the useless barking that they don’t look. Sooooo sad for that owner.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:12 AM

631 posts, read 399,377 times
I had two cats up until they died at 18 and 20 years respectively. My heart was broken and I swore I'd never get another pet. However, the house was like a tomb without another living creature to share it with, so I got 2 adult dogs whom I love very much. Not a day goes by but they make me laugh - they're great companions too.

There are a couple of downsides to dog ownership IMO. Very expensive! Right now one of them is at the vet having her teeth cleaned at a cost of $1,100 (Cdn.) + cost of other medications. The other one has a partially collapsed windpipe, so she's also on medication. Boarding costs while on vacation and grooming costs every 8 weeks (poodles). So I guess, if I had to do it again, I'd have gotten cats!

Old 08-09-2019, 10:22 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,231,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
No, that kind of indiscriminate barking is literally crying wolf. If it barks so often at ordinary events, then when something bad occurs nobody bothers to check what’s happening.

Maybe it happens when the owner is away, and the neighbors are so used to hearing the useless barking that they don’t look. Sooooo sad for that owner.
I have neighbors like this with two small yapping rat dogs that bark behind their fence facing the street.

They yap at people walking by.

They yap at people taking their trash cans to/from the curb.

They yap at people walking pets by.

They yap when I dangle my keys to get in my car from across the street.

Instead of an 'alarm', it's ST....as the curse goes.

Last edited by Trekker99; 08-09-2019 at 10:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement