Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 12:55 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,941,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Squeeze lemon to a warm glass of water, drink it for at least 30 minutes before you eat anything else. My sister told me about it. Some health benefits.
Thank you. Does it help acid reflux?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 12:58 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,713,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Thank you. Does it help acid reflux?
I think so, I don’t have it anymore. I never eat fatty food but I had it when I was younger.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:18 PM

42,783 posts, read 26,085,747 times
I'll be 73 in October, I have osteoarthritis in my knees and my back, but outside of the pain associated with that I'm very healthy & I feel great. I'm 5'6" and weigh 126 pounds. I had my annual physical yesterday, my BP is 124/72 resting pulse is 64. I had labs done this AM and just got the results in my email. Glucose is 79, Total cholesterol is 152. I can't really attribute that to anything that I do, I'm lazy I don't get much exercise except for working in the garden and walking around 1.5 miles a day. I pretty much eat what I want and I'm not a worrier. I have a bunch of centenarians on both sides of my family so I attribute my good health to genetics rather than anything I do or don't do.

Old 08-10-2019, 06:08 AM

7,090 posts, read 12,614,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'll be 73 in October, I have osteoarthritis in my knees and my back, but outside of the pain associated with that I'm very healthy & I feel great. I'm 5'6" and weigh 126 pounds. I had my annual physical yesterday, my BP is 124/72 resting pulse is 64. I had labs done this AM and just got the results in my email. Glucose is 79, Total cholesterol is 152. I can't really attribute that to anything that I do, I'm lazy I don't get much exercise except for working in the garden and walking around 1.5 miles a day. I pretty much eat what I want and I'm not a worrier. I have a bunch of centenarians on both sides of my family so I attribute my good health to genetics rather than anything I do or don't do.
Low stress and walking 1.5 miles a day is terrific and great for your health! Your lab results are super--congratulations.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:24 PM

10,823 posts, read 14,898,817 times
About 6 years ago I was diagnosed with Type I diabetes which I was told was a left over from my year in Vietnam 1968-1969 and Agent Orange. I was with the First Infantry Division in Đồng Nai and Bình Phước/Bình Dương provinces (less than 10% of the entire country) which received 3.5 million of the 4.2 (83%) million gallons of Agent Orange sprayed in country.

Nobody in my family history ever had diabetes and I was told by the VA that it's most likely due to my Agent Orange contact. For what it is worth I've kept in touch with four that I served with and every one of us has Type II diabetes. Now it is three as one of us died four years ago.

So far I can keep it in check with exercise, diet and a pill twice a day that keeps my A1c below 7.0 and is usually around 6.5 to 6.6 except for the holiday season where I let it cut loose a bit.

Silver Sneakers at Anytime Fitness all paid for by my supplement! That and I still work full time so I am not just sitting in a chair.

So far I am doing OK but my balance is not what it used to be and the doctor told me it's nephropathy in my feet. I still feel my feet but doc said the feeling is not as good as it was and it can lead to balance problems. Most of my workout involves the treadmill because it has the bars I can hang on to. That and the swimming pool.... I could live in the swimming pool all year round if it would only stay warm.

This is something I really watch out for because I don't want future problems... I sort of grew attached to my toes and wanna keep em.

That said at 71 I feel I am doing better than average for the age group. My wife takes real good care of me.

Why am I bringing up something that happened 50 years ago? If you know a Vietnam veteran with diabetes he is eligible for compensation without a fight as diabetes is presumed to be caused by Agent Orange exposure. Six months ago I met a man at a pharmacy wearing a Vietnam vet hat. I asked him where he served and talking a bit he told me he was there to pick up some drugs for his diabetes. He was unaware of the compensation (mine is just over $900/month) and once diagnosed all drugs and testing supplies are provided by the VA free of charge. He had no idea about this and he did appear to be about my age. If you know someone tell them to get in touch with the Disabled American Veterans group because they can certainly help.

Quote:
The Disabled American Veterans (DAV) is an organization created by the United States Congress for disabled military veterans of the United States Armed Forces that helps them and their families through various means. It currently has nearly 1.3 million members. As a 501(c)(4) social welfare organization, it is outside the purview of – and therefore not rated by – Charity Navigator.

Old 08-13-2019, 09:09 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,914,783 times
Thanks for bringing this up, I hope it helps a Vietnam vet.

Old 08-14-2019, 12:19 AM

21,481 posts, read 8,667,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
Thanks for bringing this up, I hope it helps a Vietnam vet.
Yes, thanks, nicet4. I didn't realize that there was a connection between Agent Orange and type 2 diabetes. That is good information.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:06 AM

29,198 posts, read 22,263,933 times
My doc says I'm in pretty good health for 75, and I do feel pretty good. I know I don't look my age; I always get comments about that.

I don't have any kind of exercise or diet regimen; I just try to keep moving and stay active, doing some physical work that will leave my muscles tired from time to time, and I take some vitamin supplements off and on. I intentionally don't eat as much as I once did, and I'm trying to eat healthier food. I also don't drink as much as I once did, mostly because alcohol makes me sleepy these days. I'm drinking more coffee now as a stimulant, but mostly because I enjoy it really a lot.

But I know age is catching up to me all the time. I don't have the stamina I once had, my bones have compressed and I've lost about an inch of height, my eyes are growing old, and my reflexes are slowing. I've developed some thyroid and parathyroid problems that required surgery or medication daily, and over the past few years, I've broken bones, particularly my toes, far too often.

It really doesn't bother me though. Thankfully, I have no great aches and pains, arthritis, or big blank spots in my memory, and though everything happens a little slower than it once did, I can still do pretty much all the stuff I've always done.

And the thyroid medicine has caused a beneficial weight loss for the weight I gained that was brought on by my lazy thyroid gland. I'm now about the same weight as I was when I was in my prime. That's been a big help in allowing me to do the things I've always done.

Except climbing high ladders or mountains, driving through the night, grabbing up an 80-pound bag of concrete mix, or looking up some rowdy friends to go carousing all night long. I've learned the hard way to avoid that stuff. Age does have its limits.

Old 08-14-2019, 05:30 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,517,030 times
I'm 71 and feel good. Just came back from a European vacation, four countries, which we plan ourselves. Rented car on continent and another in UK. Went on a Zumba cruise last year. Walk 45 minutes 6 days a week. No medications. All lab work good. No real aches and pains. Teeth in good repair. Look young for age (but everybody is their real age). Still like fashion, makeup, perfume, jewelry. Enjoy reading spy/thriller novels. Lots of gardening, hedge trimming, weeding. Only problem I see is my balance is not what it used to be - therefore I am very careful. Still drive everywhere. Love the beach. Life has not changed much so far. DH is not quite as fit as me - former smoker. I take vitamin D and flax oil capsules. Don't read anything about DT. Look away if he comes on TV. Don't need the irritation.

Old 11-16-2019, 04:25 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,941,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
I'm 71 and feel good. Just came back from a European vacation, four countries, which we plan ourselves. Rented car on continent and another in UK. Went on a Zumba cruise last year. Walk 45 minutes 6 days a week. No medications. All lab work good. No real aches and pains. Teeth in good repair. Look young for age (but everybody is their real age). Still like fashion, makeup, perfume, jewelry. Enjoy reading spy/thriller novels. Lots of gardening, hedge trimming, weeding. Only problem I see is my balance is not what it used to be - therefore I am very careful. Still drive everywhere. Love the beach. Life has not changed much so far. DH is not quite as fit as me - former smoker. I take vitamin D and flax oil capsules. Don't read anything about DT. Look away if he comes on TV. Don't need the irritation.

LOL! I got very active in our local political activist group. I learnt a lot about legislation, and about issues that are important to me, and how to push my congressional rep. ButIi got so engaged it drained me of energy. So I have slowed down on it and decided not doing anything that gets me stressed.

Thanks for all those wonderful posts about how you are all managing the 70's. Some of you like Nausikaa are doing great and it encourages me.
I wrote this OP back in August and it is November and today I feel very much like my old self. My allergies are gone, no more reflux.

I did have shoulder/neck pain but even this is ok now, getting better. No meds, just my thyroid pill. I just returned from a birding trip to the Fingerlakes and it was cold and rainy but I managed, WITH my shoulder pain.
I am looking 2010 and making some early resolutions. Do at least 2 out of of town birding trips. Bird as often as possible in good weather.
I am teaching myself a new language that requires a lot of memorization. It was a very slow and difficult beginning but I kept at it, this is my 3rd year, and I am finally getting the hang of it. I really enjoy this and look forward to it when I wake up and spend 1 or 2 hours at it. Eventually I plan to translate some works in that language.
I will walk every day the sun shines, unless it is too cold. If not I go to the gym and do the machines. I walk and follow up with yoga. I am learning to meditate. I am reading more and doing less screen time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement