Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 04:02 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times

Advertisements

I don't recall my father suggesting anything.
My mother was encouraging one of my sisters and me to get trained as secretaries. That was back in the 50s. My sister graduated in 1952, me in 1960.

We both became secretaries and married soon after graduation.

I think my mother was hoping (planning?) on moving in with one or the other of us.

Pretty sure Mom was not happy.

My oldest sister had cerebral palsy and would need to live with someone after parents split up. But she was a very independent woman, was less affected by her handicap than some. She worked part time jobs (domestic/babysitting). Lived with the family. Eventually moved into her own apartment, got pregnant, raised a daughter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 05:02 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,142,714 times
my dad was an electrical engineer and he wanted me to go into engineering, good career for a woman he said. i went into healthcare instead, pharmacy. but in the end it really was about getting an college education and being able to support yourself. he was pretty adamant about the college education being something "practical" and not history, poli-sci, etc. and that's fine, the career i chose fit my skills and abilities and interests.

Old 08-09-2019, 05:43 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,240,506 times
I was the first person in my whole extended family to ever attend college. As such, when I graduated as valedictorian and went off to an Ivy, I wasn’t given much advice. Had this happened nowadays, I’d be at a disadvantage. But back in the 80’s, someone like me could write their own ticket, particularly as a women with a degree in math.

I started exploring actuarial work, but eventually took advantage of the alumni network and ended up in fixed income research at a bulge bracket Wall St. firm.

Old 08-09-2019, 05:49 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberDaviesx View Post
Or did they have no say in the career path you took?
No, I joined the Army at 19, learned a little electronics, served 3 years, got out went to school for 2 more studying electronics, paid for the school myself. I didn't ask them for permission or help, which they couldn't afford anyway.
My son who happens to be pretty smart in math, wanted to get a degree in math and I insisted he get a degree in engineering, but half way thru he changed to physics. I paid for most of the undergraduate school and he won a scholarship which covered him getting a PhD in physics.

Old 08-09-2019, 05:49 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,965,100 times
"Did your parents encourage/recommend a career path for you?"
no.

"Or did they have no say in the career path you took?"
yes.

Old 08-09-2019, 05:53 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
In the 1950s and 1960s girls usually couldn't become anything but teachers, nurses, secretaries, or social workers. For those too young to remember, the newspaper Help Wanted ads were divided up by male and female. No women need apply.

I did express interest in social work but my dad vetoed it because he said I would be put into dangerous situations.
He also was adamant that I would "never bang a typewriter."

I loved art but from the time I sat in my high chair I was told that I would be a teacher. If I became a teacher I would always be able to support myself. The end. (Although after I got sick of teaching, I got a master's in Library & Information Services, something I actually enjoyed.)

Old 08-09-2019, 05:56 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times
They figured I enjoyed being around and using computers that I may as well go into computer science, which I did. Otherwise, they didn't care if I choose something different, did caution I should go to college since they knew I wouldn't be able to cut it doing manual labor. Also, to pick something that paid well (didn't have to be a super high salary like $180K, but don't get a degree just to make only $25K), and that has good job prospects.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:07 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,843 times
Neither parent went to college...and had no point of reference for helping any of their 7 children thru college. Not money nor encouragement. My older sisters put themselves through college and had professional medical careers. Older brother ended up in IT by happenstance.

I had jobs in records management and had the smarts to get jobs in public service that lead to a solid career and pension.

Younger brother also in IT but he retired Early by leaving the country. Younger sisters had some assistance (one had a disability and got state assistance and graduated with a degree in zoology)...and the youngest dropped out of school and also got a job in IT.

The bottom line was we had to find our own way. Not the easiest route but the most satisfying when there is success.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:13 PM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Neither parent went to college...and had no point of reference for helping any of their 7 children thru college. Not money nor encouragement. My older sisters put themselves through college and had professional medical careers. Older brother ended up in IT by happenstance.

I had jobs in records management and had the smarts to get jobs in public service that lead to a solid career and pension.

Younger brother also in IT but he retired Early by leaving the country. Younger sisters had some assistance (one had a disability and got assistance and graduated with a degree in zoology)...and the youngest dropped out of school and also got a job in IT.

The bottom line was we had to find our own way. Not the easiest route but the most satisfying when there is success.
Similar here. Mom didn't finish high school, Dad was an electrician who became an engineer after being disabled in WWII. We were expected to work full-time when we were out of high school, and everyone just figured the girls would eventually get married and stay home and take care of their kids.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:18 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,843 times
To be fair, you did not need a degree to be successful in the 40’s and 50’s. My dad landed a job with the state employment service after a succession of odd jobs. Then was personnel director for 33 years at a major employer.

Mom was a stay at home mom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement